Best sub-$50 over-ear headphones?
Dec 1, 2012 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Doyouwantaspoon

New Head-Fier
My HA-RX700s just broke, and I hate buying the same thing twice in a row.. Is there anything better for around $50? I figure since these were $50 when I bought them, and can be found for less than $30 now, I should be able to get something better than them for $50.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 17
Hello and welcome 
smile.gif

Can you list your uses? games? movies? music genres? 

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Hello and welcome 
smile.gif

Can you list your uses? games? movies? music genres? 

Yes of course! I mostly use them just when watching videos online, and playing PC games and guitar through the PC software Amplitube. I suppose I need something with decent bass for my guitar usage, but don't want to spend a ton of money.. I loved my HA-RXs, but want to see what else is available at my price range.

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 17
I recommend taking a look at the Panasonic RP-HTF600, some users like it over the Jvc. Good sound quality for a good price. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 17
I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-V6 for $50 on Amazon.com last week, and they are very good for the low price, but now that Black Friday is over they are up to $69 (shipped free with Prime).  From what you've described above I think these would be perfect for you.  This is coming from someone who owns a $5,000 set of headphones, and a couple of > $2K headphones.  If listening to these doesn't make me feel like puking then they can't be all that bad.  :p  Even at $69 I think they are worth the money.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 17
JVC HAS400 pretty good for $25

Philips Uptown I really like for $65 but includes shipping and no tax from ben's

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-V6 for $50 on Amazon.com last week, and they are very good for the low price, but now that Black Friday is over they are up to $69 (shipped free with Prime).  From what you've described above I think these would be perfect for you.  This is coming from someone who owns a $5,000 set of headphones, and a couple of > $2K headphones.  If listening to these doesn't make me feel like puking then they can't be all that bad.  :p  Even at $69 I think they are worth the money.

Not going to go in to detail, but I have a life-long vendetta with Sony. I don't buy anything from them. They seem nice though, especially for $50.

Quote:
JVC HAS400 pretty good for $25
Philips Uptown I really like for $65 but includes shipping and no tax from ben's

I will look more in to the Philips, they seem pretty nice, but I just want to make sure it's not all looks and no quality.

EDIT: After reading a review from this website, I see they have an inline volume control, which means they won't work with a 6.3mm adapter (which I use when plugging in to my amp), and I really don't like 90 degree connecters.. Oh well.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Is there anything else good in the $40 - $50 range?

You can take a look at; the Koss Pro DJ100/TBSE

http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 17
Check out the Kicker HP541's.  I bought a pair after reading the reviews on SonicElectronix's website.  I've got a ton of different headphones ranging from $50-$1400 and honestly these are a very good deal for the sound.  After my coworkers listened to them 3 of them ordered them as they've heard some of my better cans and really couldn't afford to spend $200+ on a set of headphones.  Here's the link:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21978_Kicker-HP541-09HP541-Over-Ear-DJ-Style-Headphones.html

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 17
Yes they are

Users who are viewing this thread

Back