Best sub $35 circumaural headphones
Nov 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

copper

New Head-Fier
I am looking for the best pair of circumaural headphones in the $35 or less range. I have looked at the hd201's and hd202's as well as the Panasonic ATH-20 and ATH-30.

The ones I was originally thinking about getting were the Sony MDR-XD200's.
I have also seen and heard about the EH-150.

I am looking for good quality headphones with good sound and circumaural design. I would like to be able to use these for music mixing, watching movies, and playing a few games on the computer. Above all I need them to sound good for music.

I don't like too much bass or cans with shrill.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.
L3000.gif

edit: Here's another one Koss UR40. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 11
AFAIK, there are no "good quality" headphones costing $35 or less. You certainly would not want to use a headphone costing $35 or less for music mixing. I wouldn't want to even try to imagine how bad your mix would sound. Headphones appropriate for music mixing cost at least 10 times more than $35.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 11
copper,

I agree with Peter Pinna. The sub-$35 headphones are too colored for accurate mixing. Most of those sub-$35 headphones reproduce too much mid-bass and too much upper-midrange/lower-treble sounds, resulting in your mixes coming out too dull and midrangey when played back on a good system.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 11
no contest in that price range- get a jvc harx700.
but it is NOT neutral- great for games, not for mixing. find a used akg k240 or an audio technica ath-m40fs for that price range and home mixing work

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the help.
I would be doing hardly any mixing at all. After this semester I probably won't do any more music mixing. The thing I would more likely do is to try to get the audio to sound good for video or web deployment.

I would basically just like something that sounds good, less than $40, and is circumaural in design, without too much of any one frequency.

Thanks for the help.
happy_face1.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 11
the JVC seems to get some good recommendations here on head-fi, and can't really go wrong with the HD201 at this low prices.

and: if it's possible to wait a little and save some more money, the rewards will be much better.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 11
RH-50 are large-ish supra-aural. They look circumaural, but they're not. They're very comfortable for supra-aural; soft on ears. Isolation's actually better than the circumaural set here, AKG K-240 Studio. Another little-known bit about the RH-50: they're quad-driver. Mini-tweeter diaphragms in addition to main diaphragms. In the $20-$50 category, these are probably the best there is. Very musical.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 11
THREAD RESURRECTION!!!

The HA-RX700 is pretty popular around here right now - I just bought a pair myself a couple of days ago - still waiting for them to arrive, though. All that I can tell you for sure is this - don't buy the HD202. I've had a pair for about a year, and they're garbage. Sub-par quality sound, and very uncomfortable after about 30 minutes until they're well broken-in. The HA-RX700 I just bought are actually their replacements.

As everyone else is saying, you can't really get a "good" pair of closed headphones for under $35. It's just not possible for that kind of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back