Best Sub $100 gaming headphones?
Apr 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sony Slave

100+ Head-Fier
When I think of gaming headphones, I think of Sennheiser open back headphones. I have never heard this type of headphone in person, but here is what I am looking for.

(Note, I do not want a headset, just headphones.)

I only play first person shooting games, such a Battlefield 3.
Here is what i'm looking for.

Great Highs/Treble, Great mids, and well, base has be some what noticble, but not overwhelming.

Clarity and Detail: I want to hear everything that goes on, such footsteps, glass breaking, and other players reloading their weapons.

Sound Stage: I want to hear things around me, such to the left, right, and in layers.
Hearing things behind, aboave, and below me are important as well.

Compatibility: My sense of compativilty is being able to hook these headphone  to an unamped TV while, retaing decent to great clarity and soundstage.

Base: I need only "Enough" to do the job, such a hearing the rumble of an incoming tank.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on Sennheiser's as well as other brands of headphones for gaming purposes.

EDIT: How do these headphones compare too each other Audio Techinca AD700 vs Technical Pro HPT990

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 6
The K240 Studio would be what I'd suggest. They sound fine without an amp but will also benefit from one. They're semi-open and easily found for under $100. I got my pair for $75. Don't get the MKII version unless you can find it for the same price. It's the same and only includes extras.

It's frequency graph is very similar to the SRH-840.

An under $30 budget gaming headphone is the Koss UR-55. It's semi-open and pretty good for gaming.

One more you can try is the KRK KNS-6400. There is definitely more than enough low-bass, but it does lack mid-bass. The KRK KNS-8400 is a bit better to some but harder to find for under $100. It's normally $150.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 6
I heard the AKG's are very lean and need an amp, so they are off my list.

Which of the two headphones are superior.

The Audio Techinca AD700 or the Technical Pro HPT990.

The comparisions between these two headphones have been very limited.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I heard the AKG's are very lean and need an amp, so they are off my list.

Which of the two headphones are superior.

The Audio Techinca AD700 or the Technical Pro HPT990.

The comparisions between these two headphones have been very limited.

The K240 Studio is very different from the other AKGs which are much more power hungry.
The K240 Studio is bassier than the Q701 and K702 and not lean at all. It's mids are nice and full sounding.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
The K240 Studio is very different from the other AKGs which are much more power hungry.
The K240 Studio is bassier than the Q701 and K702 and not lean at all. It's mids are nice and full sounding.

Oh, than I might consider it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back