CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #24,991 of 31,831
So far so good with the SSR. They can get shouty as per reviewed so far and so do need EQ in the upper mids. Also threw on some spinfits to get a deeper fit and they seem to help with the mids a bit as well. Bass however is quite nice and punchy and treble is smooth and not excessive IMO. With the mentioned they're a very nice sounding and quite neutral. Very good value IMO. They're also tiny and very comfortable. Cable isn't very good though, but usable.
That’s encouraging. Quite a few people have mentioned that the bass sounds quite good, and that the treble is smooth. It seems that the sound doesn’t fully correlate with the graph, but it’s really those upper mids that are scary. It seems like the SSR has so much going for them, with the exception of the polarizing tuning, so that suggests a lot of promise for the SSP.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #24,992 of 31,831
And the EQ I apply is nothing excessive, just a few dB from that whole range plus a few dB more from that 3kHz peak. I'm probably less sensitive to upper mids than others, however.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #24,993 of 31,831
No love for the HIDIZS MS1 RAINBOW?

At half the price of the Mermaid MS1 that suppose to use exact same driver, I think it might be a great value.

I only have the Mermaid and love the sound. Sub-bassy with fowards mids and bright treble. The highlight is the soundstage size which is huge (the iem housing too is huge). Construction is on par with FIIO FH5-FH7 (perhaps fromsame OEM manufacture), its just to well crafted for its price and look way pricier.

I'm so happy that chifi go back into high quality dynamic driver! From what I read on NBBA, MS1 is well-loved. Will see after honey period if i'm still as enthusiast about its sound.
I’m really digging the MS1 Rainbow. It has a large capsule with just one dynamic driver so there’s lots of space for it to breath, providing reverberant room-feel quality to the sound. Comes with a good assortment of quality tips, It’s very efficient so I didn’t give much thought to running it balanced, especially since it has a very nice stock cable, but eventually the balanced cable found itself attached to them so I gave it a go. And boy did it respond nicely, the soundstage popping even more and everything else tighten and cleaned up. I guess it’s efficiency responds nicely to the cleaner output. It has a W shaped response. Bass really digs deep and everything is really dynamic, good stuff 😎👍
672CB386-E1CC-4BE9-B422-0414044CAF83.jpeg

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #24,994 of 31,831
I’m really digging the MS1 Rainbow. It has a large capsule with just one dynamic driver so there’s lots of space for it to breath, providing reverberant room-feel quality to the sound. Comes with a good assortment of quality tips, It’s very efficient so I didn’t give much thought to running it balanced, especially since it has a very nice stock cable, but eventually the balanced cable found itself attached to them so I gave it a go. And boy did it respond nicely, the soundstage popping even more and everything else tighten and cleaned up. I guess it’s efficiency responds nicely to the cleaner output. It has a W shaped response. Bass really digs deep and everything is really dynamic, good stuff 😎👍

Nice description! It's how I hear it too, W with warm resonant sub-bass, clean fowards vocal, energic treble with nice bite and hall like soundstage. Unfortunately my balanced cable isnt that good and over brighten the sound, i never like this cable (kbear spc 2.5) so its not really MS1 fault.

With this pairing bass is thigher and more detailed and sound is super lively. It's time I try them with Xduoo XD-05+ which is warmer DAC-AMP!

IMG_20200704_082837_422.jpg

PS: nice cable by thew way, t'look dope with MS1....as they were meant to be togheter!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #24,995 of 31,831
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #24,996 of 31,831
I thought the Rainbow was decent but overpriced for the overall performance and build quality. Lots of bass (could be tighter), mids could be more forward but clarity is solid, great sound stage, and fairly chill treble with good detail. Kinda forgettable but still solid: https://thecontraptionist.blog/2020/06/27/hidizs-ms1-rainbow-middle-of-the-road/

Fair enough. It's a guilty pleasure for me. And I need to listen more to discover the cause of my subconscious culpabilities.

Other question is: are we 100% certain both 50$ and 100$ MS1 sound the very same????

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #24,997 of 31,831
Fair enough. It's a guilty pleasure for me. And I need to listen more to discover the cause of my subconscious culpabilities.

Other question is: are we 100% certain both 50$ and 100$ MS1 sound the very same????

I have no idea if it's the same as the regular MS1 inside, but if so I can see why people like the MS1. It does sound good.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #24,999 of 31,831
Jul 5, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #25,000 of 31,831
I like the MS1 Rainbow. It's a good IEM for regular folks but there sure is a lot of competition in that price range. Here's my review if anyone's curious.

DSC_6311_result.jpg

Nice. Happy that you still carry the xuelin 990 dual wolfson. Returned mine since the player didn't gel with my gear.

I remember the mids quite well on those.

Btw, I'm currently testing the qm50. Cable roll too helps the soundstage fwiw. Thanks for the detailed review.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #25,001 of 31,831

Great Weekend for that Patriotic color scheme :wink: I use mine with the nice navy blue on the Noble "X":grin:

Noble Rig.JPG

Of course the reason I stopped in is that I feel the big big iem makers should begin to shake a little in their boots cause IMO this guy probably does not have half the R&D, Equipment and manpower behind his iem's but I have heard a lot of really nice iem's over the years and these and all that I've had from LZ can pretty much take on iem's well over 5 times what any of his cost:smirk: Bold statement I know but when it comes down to just enjoying ones music my LZ's honestly sound as good (often better) than any iem's I've ever had/own period:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Alas, just some more musings by this tone deef old Audiophool:rolling_eyes:

Get Smart.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #25,002 of 31,831
Great Weekend for that Patriotic color scheme :wink: I use mine with the nice navy blue on the Noble "X":grin:

Noble Rig.JPG

Of course the reason I stopped in is that I feel the big big iem makers should begin to shake a little in their boots cause IMO this guy probably does not have half the R7D, Equipment and manpower behind his iem's but I have heard a lot of really nice iem's over the years and these and all that I've had from LZ can pretty much take on iem's well over 5 times what any of his cost:smirk: Bold statement I know but when it comes down to just enjoying ones music my LZ's honestly sound as good (often better) than any iem's I've ever had/own period:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Alas, just some more musings by this tone deef old Audiophool:rolling_eyes:

Get Smart.JPG
That is the LZ A6 mini right? You should get the big brother A6, gonna blow your mind away. :joy:

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #25,003 of 31,831
That is the LZ A6 mini right? You should get the big brother A6, gonna blow your mind away. :joy:

Yeah, after everybody and their brother finally razzed me enough I ordered a pair and I'm sure they will be all that and then some. These here are and have always been in my top 5 iem's so I'm ready to see if they join top 5 or edge out their siblings here :smirk:

LZ Me.JPG

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #25,004 of 31,831
Yeah, after everybody and their brother finally razzed me enough I ordered a pair and I'm sure they will be all that and then some. These here are and have always been in my top 5 iem's so I'm ready to see if they join top 5 or edge out their siblings here :smirk:

I will always have a soft spot for these. Rain Song is such a mids/moody immersive track.

I'll try and fix my mmxc connectors and get the A4 up and running again. I swear I can just see myself putting aside expensive gear and be perfectly happy with them

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #25,005 of 31,831
I've been listening to my Blon Bl-03 which I ordered out of curiosity. For its price, I can tell it's one of the best iems I've ever heard so I'm not surprised now that I heard about it a lot. Not the biggest soundstage but quite airy. It lacks sub-bass a bit but tonality and imaging are great. Locating the instruments are very easy and I can tell what is where. I'm not used to get this performance from a headphones which is under 30$.just wow! I cannot listen my FA S4 for long time due to its high mid-range. But with Bl-03, I can listen to it for hours I guess.

I've changed the stock cable with KZ's gold cable that I wasn't using. Sounds like okay but I feel like I can squeeze and get more from these headphones.

Do you guys have any recommendation for a good 8-16 core cable below 50$?I think about going for a copper one. For example from ****.

I wonder if there is a really good alternative to Blon with a very good soundstage and sub-bass - i wouldn't say no to more technical abilities either.

Here I got recommendations about KXXS but I wonder if there are cheaper alternatives for that. Because listening to this guy made me think that everything is possible even with cheap price when it comes to Chi-Fi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back