CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 14, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #22,741 of 31,831
I'm thinking of getting a cheapo MMCX cable with 2.5mm balanced termination for my E4000 from Ali, has anyone tried one before? Are they actually wired for a balanced signal or just terminated as such?

All the balanced cables I've bought from AliExpress were wired fine, and in some senses balanced wiring is simpler (each channel has it's own ground, rather than tied together in a common ground, which in a non-balanced cable could be done in the headphone cable jack, or the Y-split, or in the case of single-entry cable to one cup, inside the headphones.

Also balanced cables have to be wired for balanced or it won't work properly, because there is no way to plug an unbalanced headphone/cable into a balanced amp and not cause a problem (in the case of a "fully balanced" headphone amplifier with twin DACs/amps, one per channel, you'd be connecting a wire and joining two circuits that should not be joined). In comparison, it's trivial to convert a balanced cable into an unbalanced cable to plug into a TRS socket, since the adapter just has to connect two of the four wires together.

You might want to check out this thread, which includes resistance tests of some cables you can get on AliExpress:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/#post-14985640

Some cables are built/wired better than others, and resistance can make a difference when you have earphones or headphones that low impedance. As NwAvGuy once said, "All you really need to know is most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance. So, for example, with 32 ohm Grados the output impedance can be, at most, 32/8 = 4 ohms. The Etymotic HF5s are 16 ohms so the max output impedance is 16/8 = 2 ohms. If you want to be assured a source will work well with just about any headphone, simply make sure the output impedance is under 2 ohms."

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #22,742 of 31,831
Some quick impressions about the Jade Audio EA3... technically proficient, bass is good, midrange is a little recessed for my liking, and detailed but fatiguing treble to my ears during extended listening. The silicone ear tips I've tried so far haven't tamed the treble enough (I don't like the physical sensation of foam ear tips, so I haven't tried them). Listening to the EA3 reminded me that I had another Knowles BA and dynamic driver hybrid, so I put it into rotation as well - the TRI I4. Here are the spec differences:

Jade Audio EA3
Shell material: plastic resin
BA driver: Knowles 33518, placed inside an aluminum sound tube in the front of the earphone
Dynamic driver: 13.6mm polymer
Sensitivity: 108dB (@1mW)
Impedance: 18 ohm

TRI I4
Shell material: aluminum alloy
BA driver: Knowles (undisclosed model)
Dynamic driver: 10mm composite ("Biology cotton material, Al-Mg alloy with spherical top Gold plating technology")
Sensitivity: 103db (+ or - 3dB)
Impedance: 12 ohm (+ or - 20%)

My listening has been done mostly on my Onkyo Rubato DP-S1 over it's balanced 2.5mm connection. I'm not sure what the output impedance is of the balanced amp in the DP-S1 since it isn't listed by Onkyo, but it could be a factor in how the earphones perform for me since they have such low impedance. I don't use an EQ. The EA3 and I4 sound quite different. While the EA3 comes across as V-shaped (strong bass response, enhanced highs), the I4 is more balanced across frequencies. Due to the physical shape of the I4, bass can be enhanced somewhat by fit/ear structure because one of the two vent holes is likely up against the concha cavum of the ear, so if you use eartips that allow a deep fit of the I4 (I'm using JVC Spiral Dot++), you'll get more bass. Even then, the bass doesn't overwhelm with the I4, and in my extended listening, treble does not fatigue. It doesn't take too long (especially with some music) for the EA3 to start to fatigue me, unfortunately. With the I4 down to $50 right now on sale, it's a good choice, especially if you are treble sensitive and aren't a basshead. If you aren't treble sensitive and enjoy some extra bass, the EA3 could be a good choice.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #22,743 of 31,831
Some quick impressions about the Jade Audio EA3... technically proficient, bass is good, midrange is a little recessed for my liking, and detailed but fatiguing treble to my ears during extended listening. The silicone ear tips I've tried so far haven't tamed the treble enough (I don't like the physical sensation of foam ear tips, so I haven't tried them). Listening to the EA3 reminded me that I had another Knowles BA and dynamic driver hybrid, so I put it into rotation as well - the TRI I4. Here are the spec differences:

Jade Audio EA3
Shell material: plastic resin
BA driver: Knowles 33518, placed inside an aluminum sound tube in the front of the earphone
Dynamic driver: 13.6mm polymer
Sensitivity: 108dB (@1mW)
Impedance: 18 ohm

TRI I4
Shell material: aluminum alloy
BA driver: Knowles (undisclosed model)
Dynamic driver: 10mm composite ("Biology cotton material, Al-Mg alloy with spherical top Gold plating technology")
Sensitivity: 103db (+ or - 3dB)
Impedance: 12 ohm (+ or - 20%)

My listening has been done mostly on my Onkyo Rubato DP-S1 over it's balanced 2.5mm connection. I'm not sure what the output impedance is of the balanced amp in the DP-S1 since it isn't listed by Onkyo, but it could be a factor in how the earphones perform for me since they have such low impedance. I don't use an EQ. The EA3 and I4 sound quite different. While the EA3 comes across as V-shaped (strong bass response, enhanced highs), the I4 is more balanced across frequencies. Due to the physical shape of the I4, bass can be enhanced somewhat by fit/ear structure because one of the two vent holes is likely up against the concha cavum of the ear, so if you use eartips that allow a deep fit of the I4 (I'm using JVC Spiral Dot++), you'll get more bass. Even then, the bass doesn't overwhelm with the I4, and in my extended listening, treble does not fatigue. It doesn't take too long (especially with some music) for the EA3 to start to fatigue me, unfortunately. With the I4 down to $50 right now on sale, it's a good choice, especially if you are treble sensitive and aren't a basshead. If you aren't treble sensitive and enjoy some extra bass, the EA3 could be a good choice.
+1 for the TRI i4, it does sound very balanced. I use Spiral Dots as well!

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #22,744 of 31,831
Does anyone know if the Jade Audio EA3 is exactly the same as the FiiO FH1S?

It sure appears to be the same, except for different branding and price difference.

FH1S:
BA4B55C4-76D7-4773-AF27-7E6097EA5C7B.jpeg
D31B2A47-F22A-4C10-9178-9516DF7FAF67.jpeg
7C18D467-26EE-4526-B98C-F12B1B306908.jpeg

EA3:
427E832D-BC21-4441-ACA3-50DEC3F5423D.jpeg
7E2C8B30-6852-4ABF-80F2-553E8AC47114.jpeg
23848245-E664-4D40-8474-E37399A0021C.jpeg

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #22,745 of 31,831
Does anyone know if the Jade Audio EA3 is exactly the same as the FiiO FH1S?

It sure appears to be the same, except for different branding and price difference.

FH1S:

EA3:

From what I know, Jade Audio representative told me that EA3 was based on Fiio FH1 but retune with more extension to both ends, and they want to market them cheaper than FH1. So they came out by Jade Audio name to keep Fiio iems on another class. So the FH1s should be better version of FH1, and most likely the EA3 themselves to complete the Fiio lines but maybe pricing is different. I bet they are sound similar. Btw my EA3 havent arrived until now, maybe in few days.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #22,749 of 31,831
What's the best cheap external sound card type thing? (something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Sabrent-Ex....5mm+Jack+Audio+Adapter&qid=1578935892&sr=8-8)

If you're looking for something small and portable, Hidizs just launched their official AliExpress store, and you can pick up their S8 for $12 off ($77 via web browser, $75 via AliExpress mobile app):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000560966739.html

One of the best small and inexpensive DAC/amps you can get.

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #22,750 of 31,831
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #22,751 of 31,831
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #22,752 of 31,831
Go look at Tempotec....its like Hidisz stuffs but at 2 or 3 times less expensive price. The Tempotec Sonata HDPRO look extremely promising. its a 40$ S8...

Anyway, not the right thread for that. might go to ''obscure chinese DAP'' thread to have more info!
Holy crap, I guess you're right! Tempotec Sonata HD seems identical to Hidizs S3 DAC cable and there's like 40 bucks difference between them. Whaaat?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #22,755 of 31,831
I have that and it's great for the low price.

Yeah i know and can confirm that its great indeed (how cant it be with es9018 dac)....make about a year a try to suggest it to everybody....problem is that is do not work with all phone so I suggest it a little less.

Anyway....its not the thread to talk about dac and stuffs...i mean non-stop talkin hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back