CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 14, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #20,281 of 31,831
I just finish my little revie of MOONDROP SPACESHIP.

Its kinda a NO NO from me. You can find way better iem in sub-30$ price range nowadays.

Anyway, you can give it a read on headfi or my blog.

In other hand, i find the KBear KB06 not particularly bad...but again, so much better choice nowadays!!
BL03 raised the bar too much

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #20,282 of 31,831
BL03 raised the bar too much
Well...if you talk for KB06 yes, but for Spaceship I think whole chifi market put the bar too high for them....even the old Xiaomi Piston V2 is better IMO (lol)

Problem is really about soundstage and imaging...very underwhelming....but the bass too is, and the lack of attack in low and mids make it for a rather dull listen. As if it was only tuned for vocal and guitar....wich is strange.

Oct 14, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #20,284 of 31,831
GzqVbdw.jpg

Currently in the midst of MMCX modding my MH755, will post results soon.

P.S. soldering is a pain in the ass.

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #20,285 of 31,831
in the market for a good chi-fi/non chi-fi pair i can use for specific genres and looking for recommendation!

I have a Sony MH755 as my daily driver/beat em-up, an MSR7 for closed back commuting/on campus, and my open back pair is an ATH-AD2000

This pair will mostly be used for studying, and driven by either a Fiio M6 or JDS 02

When I study I tend to listen to instrumental music exclusively varying from: Post-Rock (no specific artists here, use the Deep Focus playlist from Spotify) , Original Soundtracks from Anime/Video Games/Movies, Ambient (think Olafur Arnauld's early stuff, Sigur Ros, etc) and other piano-centric music. For non-intensive studying I tend to listen to more indie-centric/acoustic/light rock, as well as Japanese with heavy emphasis on female vocals.

Budget isn't too much of a concern, anywhere up to $50 USD, but willing to stretch it to $75 if the options out there are a significant bump from those 50 and below. Have heard of the Tin T2's but that's about it. While I prefer a bright leaning neutral signature that emphasizes detail and clarity, I don't mind trying out other sound signatures either that may fit the above genres better!

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #20,286 of 31,831
Blon BL03 sounds like your Mh755 only better.
Tin T2 sounds great but is bass light without a decent amp and foam tips.
CCA C12 is quite good in both the highs and lows but the mids are a touch recessed and the timbre isn't quite as musical as the DD IEMs mentioned above.

IMO all three of these are worthy of consideration. I don't think anybody would be disappointed by their choice if they bought any of the above and listened to it in isolation. It's only when compared to each other the weaknesses start to show.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #20,288 of 31,831
in the market for a good chi-fi/non chi-fi pair i can use for specific genres and looking for recommendation!

I have a Sony MH755 as my daily driver/beat em-up, an MSR7 for closed back commuting/on campus, and my open back pair is an ATH-AD2000

This pair will mostly be used for studying, and driven by either a Fiio M6 or JDS 02

When I study I tend to listen to instrumental music exclusively varying from: Post-Rock (no specific artists here, use the Deep Focus playlist from Spotify) , Original Soundtracks from Anime/Video Games/Movies, Ambient (think Olafur Arnauld's early stuff, Sigur Ros, etc) and other piano-centric music. For non-intensive studying I tend to listen to more indie-centric/acoustic/light rock, as well as Japanese with heavy emphasis on female vocals.

Budget isn't too much of a concern, anywhere up to $50 USD, but willing to stretch it to $75 if the options out there are a significant bump from those 50 and below. Have heard of the Tin T2's but that's about it. While I prefer a bright leaning neutral signature that emphasizes detail and clarity, I don't mind trying out other sound signatures either that may fit the above genres better!
How about Tin T3 or TRI i4? I have both and share some of your preferred genres. Either of these will suit!

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #20,289 of 31,831
Finally got the BLON. Not what I was expecting at all, not in a bad way. Very lush, musical sound. Would have liked some more treble extension to balance out that thick low end, but it's fun to listen to. Read a couple of times that it was close to the KXXS, one even said on par. Having jumped between the two i can say they share a lot of similarities in overall sound. The BLON tho has a thicker, more pronounced low end, the KXXS slightly thinner overall due to a tiny bit more air and emphasis in the upper mids. in fact, the BLON is basically a thicker sounding KXXS. The KXXS does though bring out more detail, but not lots more, again due to better separation/air, this is where the BLON struggles a bit for me, little congested at times. KXXS has slightly bigger soundstage, more in width

Now is the price difference worth it... £25 to £150. Well the KXXS is probably my favourite earphone so I'd say so... but they share too much in terms of signature that others will surely disagree. If you AB'd them without knowing you'd pick out the KXXS as the more expensive, I'm sure of that.

IMG_20191015_195011.jpg IMG_20191015_194946.jpg IMG_20191015_195120.jpg IMG_20191015_194650.jpg

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #20,291 of 31,831
The BL-03 are good, but the "fun" or "wow" effect that I first felt quickly faded away. Vastly prefer the sound of my kpe overall, not to mention fit and look.

Sound of kpe is more balanced and precise. Mids are a bit more recessed tho, which makes the blon sound maybe more emotional on vocals at first. But can get a bit tiring too, say on jazz saxophone, which the kpe never becomes. I have a difficult jazz track which I use to gauge iems and the blon sounds bloated with bad instrument separation, slow decay etc. while the kpe handles it incredibly well. Blon otoh is a bit more fun with the bass of some hip-hop tracks with better sub extension.

Still a very promising company, if they could increase a bit the nozzle length, make a better shell and a good connector that'd be a serious contender for mid-range iems, but as they are, nope.

Ofc it's still a pretty good sound for cheap, too much bass imo but I used to like that.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #20,292 of 31,831
The BL-03 are good, but the "fun" or "wow" effect that I first felt quickly faded away. Vastly prefer the sound of my kpe overall, not to mention fit and look.

Sound of kpe is more balanced and precise. Mids are a bit more recessed tho, which makes the blon sound maybe more emotional on vocals at first. But can get a bit tiring too, say on jazz saxophone, which the kpe never becomes. I have a difficult jazz track which I use to gauge iems and the blon sounds bloated with bad instrument separation, slow decay etc. while the kpe handles it incredibly well. Blon otoh is a bit more fun with the bass of some hip-hop tracks with better sub extension.

Still a very promising company, if they could increase a bit the nozzle length, make a better shell and a good connector that'd be a serious contender for mid-range iems, but as they are, nope.

Ofc it's still a pretty good sound for cheap, too much bass imo but I used to like that.

The BLON is definitely more coloured than the KXXS, so perhaps it's the same with the KPE. I listened to some Erasure with the BLON and those synths and electro notes were fab. Same with the more modern pop i tried. It's got a looser bass, but somehow can hit hard when it needs too. Woofer like even. I had been listening to the VE BIE so took a bit of adjustment with the BLON before i could really hear what it was capable of, very different signatures.

ALSO : As for the short nozzle, try SpinFits, if you see in my pics they definitely help. Just make sure it's a thin inner stem.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #20,293 of 31,831
KXXS is cheating with large narrow spike in the upper treble

Yeah I agree, but I wouldn't call it a bright earphone still. Does make the BLON perhaps sound dark at times in comparison I guess. I still hear similarities in the overall sound of both. I've been using the FIIO M6 which in itself is quite a laid back sounding DAP. I may try the BLON with a tube amp.

Will also try with the Sabaj DA3.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #20,294 of 31,831
Got the TOYETEAM TX601 on eBay (new) from BigBargainOnline. I won it for 78 pence as the starting price was only a dollar lol. P&P was £15 but still much cheaper than the £80 selling price on Alie/Penon. Can't find anything on them so for all I know they may be rubbish but under twenty quid so not end of world if they are, they def look cool, looks like they mirrored the design from one of DUNU's flagship sets.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32825239533.html

Maybe the fact there were no other bidders is ominous ha ha.

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #20,295 of 31,831
Got the TOYETEAM TX601 on eBay (new) from BigBargainOnline. I won it for 78 pence as the starting price was only a dollar lol. P&P was £15 but still much cheaper than the £80 selling price on Alie/Penon. Can't find anything on them so for all I know they may be rubbish but under twenty quid so not end of world if they are, they def look cool, looks like they mirrored the design from one of DUNU's flagship sets.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32825239533.html

Maybe the fact there were no other bidders is ominous ha ha.

Holy moly, that's an epic bargain! Nice job

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back