CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 8, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #17,731 of 31,831
Thanks for the replies guys. So from suggestions we have TRN IM1, TFZ T2 and the ****. If anyone can give any further insights thatd be appreciated.

Oh, and is there a good quality cable I should look into getting? Something good quality and cheap, with Mic/inline controls, that'll improve sound quality?

May 8, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #17,732 of 31,831
Thanks for the replies guys. So from suggestions we have TRN IM1, TFZ T2 and the ****. If anyone can give any further insights thatd be appreciated.

Oh, and is there a good quality cable I should look into getting? Something good quality and cheap, with Mic/inline controls, that'll improve sound quality?
From your description of the cable, it looks like you'll be using the IEMs with a smartphone. Bear in mind that the **** is power hungry, and although probably the best of the ones you mentioned, may not receive enough power. Also on-line controls do not normally appear in high quality cables.

May 8, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #17,733 of 31,831

You might want to check out the R...n... QT5 as well. Great build and sound quality for less than 20€. Soundwise I prefer them over my KZ ZSN ... slightly less v-shaped sig, more clarity, even transparency, easy to drive and ...loads of listening fun. Just check out some reviews.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #17,734 of 31,831
From your description of the cable, it looks like you'll be using the IEMs with a smartphone. Bear in mind that the **** is power hungry, and although probably the best of the ones you mentioned, may not receive enough power. Also on-line controls do not normally appear in high quality cables.

Yeah, these will be daily drivers out and about for the phone. It is a good one sound spec wise - LG V20 with the 32bit Quad DAC. It has a high impedance mode (ticks on for North of 50ohms if I remember?) so I think that'll be enough juice?

As for the mic cable, yes, I've discovered the more audio-centric ones don't have a mic. I'd really need it as I've come to utilise it when I'm out and about listening to music or podcasts.

Are there any out there? Ive had a look on aliexpress and such, but I'm getting stuck on what brands and terms I should be looking for.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #17,735 of 31,831
Yeah, these will be daily drivers out and about for the phone. It is a good one sound spec wise - LG V20 with the 32bit Quad DAC. It has a high impedance mode (ticks on for North of 50ohms if I remember?) so I think that'll be enough juice?

As for the mic cable, yes, I've discovered the more audio-centric ones don't have a mic. I'd really need it as I've come to utilise it when I'm out and about listening to music or podcasts.

Are there any out there? Ive had a look on aliexpress and such, but I'm getting stuck on what brands and terms I should be looking for.
I'm probably not the best person to ask since I use a DAP rather than a smartphone so some others might be able to help you more than l can!

May 8, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #17,736 of 31,831
I bought a couple MH-755 and all I remember is how warm they are. I need to revisit these. They reminded my of a Sennheiser type sound but I probably need to spend more time with them.

I own a pair of 755s and IMO the sound is very balanced, far from be too warm. I usually use stock tips and ES100 with them.

May 8, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #17,737 of 31,831

The Quad DAC on the v20 is similar to the one in the v40 which I have and it struggles to make the **** sound good. I wouldn't suggest the **** for use with a phone. My TRN IM1 came with a in line mic with controls and the cable isn't bad at all. For a daily driver, I'd pick the IM1, it fits very well and are super comfy, the isolation is great, and the sound great with many different genres of music. I think the TFZ T2's sound better, but the IM1's are more comfortable everyday, plus the T2's cost a bit more ($60). I use my IM1's for commuting, traveling, and walking, while connected via a TRN BT3 Bluetooth cable.

May 8, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #17,738 of 31,831
The Quad DAC on the v20 is similar to the one in the v40 which I have and it struggles to make the **** sound good. I wouldn't suggest the **** for use with a phone. My TRN IM1 came with a in line mic with controls and the cable isn't bad at all. For a daily driver, I'd pick the IM1, it fits very well and are super comfy, the isolation is great, and the sound great with many different genres of music. I think the TFZ T2's sound better, but the IM1's are more comfortable everyday, plus the T2's cost a bit more ($60). I use my IM1's for commuting, traveling, and walking, while connected via a TRN BT3 Bluetooth cable.

Thanks for your thoughts. Hmmm, that’s disappointing. Was looking at the **** pretty seriously. Descriptions sounded great, plus the fact it has a piezoelectric driver intrigued me (I have no idea what that is :upside_down: - never heard one. I was curious). So, what, they sound very uninspired with the phone DAC? We’re you able to utilise the high impedance/gain?

May 8, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #17,739 of 31,831
The Quad DAC on the v20 is similar to the one in the v40 which I have and it struggles to make the **** sound good. I wouldn't suggest the **** for use with a phone.

It depends on the source, but they sound fantastic from Redmi Note 5 and Radsone ES100 (not stock cable). Maybe cable resistance has to do with it, volume... Did not try with another source. Maybe I'll give them a check later, with my wife's S7 (Exynos) and see.

May 8, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #17,740 of 31,831
I own a pair of 755s and IMO the sound is very balanced, far from be too warm. I usually use stock tips and ES100 with them.

I liked the Sony MH755 so much that I bought all the colors and a few spares. @HungryPanda re-cabled these four for me. I really like the result! There was no way that I was going to use that J cable.

The colorful stock tips are part of the charm:) It is refreshing to use something so simple after all the big over ear hybrids.

10277943.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #17,741 of 31,831
I liled the Sony MH755 so much that I bought all the colors and a few spares. @HungryPanda re-cabled these four for me. I really like the result! There was no way that I was going to use that J cable.

The colorful stock tips are part of the charm:) It is refreshing to use something so simple after all the big over ear hybrids.

10277943.jpg

These are fantastics! And believe me, I understand very well that hate for J cable but finally I'm getting used to it xD

IMG_20190508_142734.jpg

May 8, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #17,742 of 31,831

That should probably be enough to drive em.

May 8, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #17,743 of 31,831
Thanks for your thoughts. Hmmm, that’s disappointing. Was looking at the **** pretty seriously. Descriptions sounded great, plus the fact it has a piezoelectric driver intrigued me (I have no idea what that is :upside_down: - never heard one. I was curious). So, what, they sound very uninspired with the phone DAC? We’re you able to utilise the high impedance/gain?
I run mine on my nokia just fine although I have to ramp it up to 30/30 on some recordings to get it loud (i listen pretty loud in general, but 20-25/30 maximum on my other IEMs). I tried on my cheap dac (fx audio x6) and did not notice a huge boost, certainly different though. LG V20 should work better than my nokia.

May 8, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #17,744 of 31,831
It depends on the source, but they sound fantastic from Redmi Note 5 and Radsone ES100 (not stock cable). Maybe cable resistance has to do with it, volume... Did not try with another source. Maybe I'll give them a check later, with my wife's S7 (Exynos) and see.
They get enough power from the tiny HIDIZS Sonata DAC as well, but the Sonata leeches quite a bit of juice out of your phone's battery.

May 8, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #17,745 of 31,831

They actually do trigger the High Impedance DAC mode but to me the mids sound thick and congested on the phone, the mids sound fine on my laptop or my Shanling M2s. I have to turn them almost all the way up to get them to sound decent on the v40, maybe there is enough power, but only enough. The sound signature on the **** is flat to mid forward and I think the highlight of these is the mids. The bass is there and does nothing particularly bad or good, but its there and tight enough. The mids are more forward in the mix and sound silky across the spectrum, pianos, guitars and vocals sound great with these. The piezoelectric driver helps with treble. The treble on the **** is good, very very detailed, but to me the treble sounded metallic at times. The ****'s are detail beasts, but they are not genre universal, some genres of music don't sound as good on these, I think jazz and classical sound great, but hip hop, rock, reggae, and electronic music can be very hit or miss. They are also not a good choice for daily drivers, the fit is kinda weird and not the most comfortable, they also don't isolate that good and people around you can hear more of your music because of the open back. They are a great IEM to add to a collection because they are so cheap, but not a good daily driver in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back