CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 28, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #4,801 of 31,831
Don't have the EP51 so unfortunately I can't compare the sound between the 2.

Sound is typical v-shape with boosted sub-bass (basshead level). There's a bit of bloat and veiled sound.

However, simply replacing the stock nozzle screens with "regular" $0.10 stainless nozzle screens lowers the boosted bass, gets rid of the bass bloat, clears up the veiled sound, and adds clarity. I talk about it in more detail in the comments of the EP52 review.

As far as the eartips, they're your standard generic silicone tips. It's a 2-piece setup - the shell has 3 different silicone 'covers' that incorporate an ear stabilizer wing. Then on the nozzle you insert totally standard silicone eartips. You could tip roll the ear tips with anything you want (that fits obviously) - KZ Starlines, Comply foams, double flange, xmas trees, Symbios, SpinFits, Spiral Dots, etc. I haven't measured the nozzle, but it looks to be your common 3mm-ish nozzle size.

I have used my EP51 in the gym twice so far, but don't really feel like the wings do much. Also, the eartips and wings are just 1 part, as seen in the picture below. Can't find the size of the nozzle, only that the speaker size is 8.6mm. I could maybe measure it when I get home. I wonder if there even are regular tips with a bore that wide, and if it would be possible to get a comfortable fit because the Meizu supplied tips are angled instead of straight

8834774_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #4,802 of 31,831
I have used my EP51 in the gym twice so far, but don't really feel like the wings do much. Also, the eartips and wings are just 1 part, as seen in the picture below. Can't find the size of the nozzle, only that the speaker size is 8.6mm. I could maybe measure it when I get home. I wonder if there even are regular tips with a bore that wide, and if it would be possible to get a comfortable fit because the Meizu supplied tips are angled instead of straight

8834774_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's totally different than the EP52. That EP51 is more like an earbud.

The wings work great on the EP52. And the EP52 eartips are 100% standard. Lemme know if you want me to snap a few pics so you can see the setup.

So after seeing your pic, I'm sooo glad I skipped the EP51 when it 1st came out.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #4,803 of 31,831
Ok so, I was listening to music when suddenly the left side of the einsear t2 went super quiet. Audio still went through, but it was like 1/10th of the right side's volume.
Since I've had similar issue in the past with xiaomi piston 2 and xiaomi hybrid, I removed the tip and removed the grid with a needle. Now it works perfectly fine. However, I found that the left side was now more clear and a bit louder, so I did the same to the right side and I can definitely notice an improvement in loudness and clarity.

Anyone tried removing the grid of their earbuds in the past? If so, did you notice any change? I'm curious.

wow you just saved my T2 I thought 1 side is dying!
THANKS!

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #4,804 of 31,831
Don't have the EP51 so unfortunately I can't compare the sound between the 2.

Sound is typical v-shape with boosted sub-bass (basshead level). There's a bit of bloat and veiled sound.

However, simply replacing the stock nozzle screens with "regular" $0.10 stainless nozzle screens lowers the boosted bass, gets rid of the bass bloat, clears up the veiled sound, and adds clarity. I talk about it in more detail in the comments of the EP52 review.

As far as the eartips, they're your standard generic silicone tips. It's a 2-piece setup - the shell has 3 different silicone 'covers' that incorporate an ear stabilizer wing. Then on the nozzle you insert totally standard silicone eartips. You could tip roll the ear tips with anything you want (that fits obviously) - KZ Starlines, Comply foams, double flange, xmas trees, Symbios, SpinFits, Spiral Dots, etc. I haven't measured the nozzle, but it looks to be your common 3mm-ish nozzle size.

Since you opened them up... did they put foams inside the Ep52 nozzles?

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,805 of 31,831
Since you opened them up... did they put foams inside the Ep52 nozzles?

Nope, no foam. That's actually what I was expecting when I heard the sub-bass and slight veil. It reminded me of the way the foam colored the sound (negatively) of the ZS3.

The nozzle screen is the EP52's Achilles heel. I've seen the same style on 1 other IEM (can't remember which off the top of my head). Looking at it from the silicone tip side, it looks like some sort of shiny aluminum "foil" sandwiched underneath a stainless mesh screen. But when you remove and examine it, it's actually some sort of 1-sided metalized nylon screen sandwiched with stainless mesh (it could even be a triple-layer screen ie stainless->metalized film->nylon).

Think of it like a 3.7mm burger:
  • The top bun (the outer facing side) is "regular" stainless mesh (same as we see on 80% of IEMs)
  • Below that (ie the burger), there's either a separate metal film, or some sort of metalized treatment on the top side of the nylon mesh
  • Below that (ie the bottom bun) is plain nylon mesh and the little adhesive ring that allows it to stick in place
I replaced that whole burger mess with just a "top bun" (ie $0.10 worth of stainless mesh screens). Couple dB less sub-bass, no bloat, no veil, better clarity. A lot like the ZS3 foam mod.

Is it the best sounding IEM in history, a monster killer, micro detail superstar, etc? Absolutely not. It's a v-shaped, average joe consumer tuned, better-than-average sounding, really comfortable IEM - all attached to a really nice Bluetooth 4.2/aptX neckband with long battery life and no audio lag.

I haven't directly A/B them with anything - I just want Bluetooth to sound fun and energetic for working out, outside stuff, and general goofing around - it's not for critical listening. But they're in the same rough ballpark as the KZ ZS3, EDSE, EDR1, and EDR2. If you even somewhat like any of those, then you'll like the EP52. VSonic GR07 or KZ ZS5/ZS6 it ain't, but it's not trying to be.

I know that's way more information than you asked, but I'm throwing this out there for others too.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4,808 of 31,831

8834774_thumb.jpg

is it possible to use the EP51 like a regular earbud (with earbud foams instead of the silicone tips)? can you test it out to see if it loose a lot of bass, or it can create enough seal to make it work?

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #4,809 of 31,831
is it possible to use the EP51 like a regular earbud (with earbud foams instead of the silicone tips)? can you test it out to see if it loose a lot of bass, or it can create enough seal to make it work?
I have no idea. Also don't have earbud foams. Been using IEM for the past 10 years.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #4,812 of 31,831
I have no idea. Also don't have earbud foams. Been using IEM for the past 10 years.

what's the diameter of the nozzle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back