CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 13, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #13,623 of 31,831
Thanks guys. I'll decide in the next few days and I'll have it next month! :)
First things first. Maybe I missed it but what is Your source gear and file quality? Output impedance, amping power, single or balanced ended, all those things also matter as combination of source gear can alter or "mess up" resulting sound signature.
Second thing - what kind of tips are You using? Silicone or foam? Large or small? Cuz those also affect comfort/usage AND sound quality/signature.
Thirdly, what kind of music You mainly listen? You said You don`t know much about sound signatures "warmth etc" but would like to have quality (detailed?) sound. If You mainly listen one or similar type genres, then we can get better glimpse into what kind of sound signature would fit You better. For example I don`t like boosted (or too prominent) mids (especially mid-bass) FR along with shy sub-bass and too smooth highs - this kind of signature doesn`t fit good with my source gear signature and also not good for very busy and complex progressive rock... plus I prefer rather "live" airy open sound signature (as I come from open-back headphones and really like that kind of presentation) with none of the sounds inside or too close "headspace". But for those who like more classic rock/jazz/solo etc. genres with relatively little elements, might enjoy previously described CA Comet signature more.
My recommendation in 100$-200$ price range - try some options before settling on one (best is to visit audio shops if possible and try in real life). Also the whole package of item accessories and also service mean a lot, especially if You wish to keep it longer.
I personally can`t give recommendation since I don`t know enough factors You should provide.
Hey guys, I'm planning to start a personal blog sometime soon where I'll be posting some of my chi-fi reviews.
What do you guys think of the blog name "perkyaudio"?
Neo-Fi ?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #13,624 of 31,831
First things first. Maybe I missed it but what is Your source gear and file quality? Output impedance, amping power, single or balanced ended, all those things also matter as combination of source gear can alter or "mess up" resulting sound signature.
Second thing - what kind of tips are You using? Silicone or foam? Large or small? Cuz those also affect comfort/usage AND sound quality/signature.
Thirdly, what kind of music You mainly listen? You said You don`t know much about sound signatures "warmth etc" but would like to have quality (detailed?) sound. If You mainly listen one or similar type genres, then we can get better glimpse into what kind of sound signature would fit You better. For example I don`t like boosted (or too prominent) mids (especially mid-bass) FR along with shy sub-bass and too smooth highs - this kind of signature doesn`t fit good with my source gear signature and also not good for very busy and complex progressive rock... plus I prefer rather "live" airy open sound signature (as I come from open-back headphones and really like that kind of presentation) with none of the sounds inside or too close "headspace". But for those who like more classic rock/jazz/solo etc. genres with relatively little elements, might enjoy previously described CA Comet signature more.
My recommendation in 100$-200$ price range - try some options before settling on one (best is to visit audio shops if possible and try in real life). Also the whole package of item accessories and also service mean a lot, especially if You wish to keep it longer.
I personally can`t give recommendation since I don`t know enough factors You should provide.

Neo-Fi ?

Hey. Thanks for this!

I'm a pretty casual music listener, and I do it just for the enjoyment and appreciation, so I don't really use or care about using an amp or anything else that modifies the sound except an mp3 player, and that too a simple one, though I'm planning to spend 100$ to buy the Shanling M0 now along with the new headphones. The same for tips, I don't really care about that right now unless it really bothers me.

As for the music, I've got a lot of "Edm" type of music, but also like old early 2000s rock songs. But a rap song or two there as well. Basically, all types of music, nothing in specific. So I want the IEM to be good for every thing.

Lastly, I can't try out any thing before buying since I live in Pakistan, and those high-end companies don't sell here. I'll be getting someone else to bring them for me. I saw that the Brainwavz B400 had a nice cleaning kit as well as a 2 year warranty. Though, since 200$ was my whole budget and I'm buying Shanling M0 now too, I might be going to 300$ or I might have to just buy iBasso IT01 instead. What do you think?

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #13,625 of 31,831
I'll get it back out and spend all day tomorrow with it. I'm always open for 2nd chance redemptions.

OK, so I have been spending the day with the B400, and I have some impressions:

- The midrange is the star for sure. Great for vocals. I wish other IEMs has these mids.
- The treble is where this falls flat IMO (and the upper midrange to a lesser degree). Stock they just don't have enough for my liking (in quantity and extension). It just doesn't have the brightness that I normally like. Different strokes for different folks though.
- The integration between the drivers is excellent. It sounds better than a lot of multi driver IEMs in that aspect. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't even have guessed it's multi driver.

I did bump the upper mids and treble up using EQ (1k-12k). That made all the difference in the world. As soon as I would A/B them without EQ, I felt that familiar 'meh' feeling I got from the 1st time I heard these. Then when I would enable EQ and the feeling would totally go away.

I know many people are very anti-EQ. So from a strictly non-EQ standpoint, it's just not my cup of tea. With EQ, I could see myself enjoying this. Or perhaps I would like the B100 or 150 more, as those have brighter treble OOTB.

These would be great for those who get fatigued by IEMs with BAs, and treble sensitive people. And those that are willing to EQ would be rewarded.

If you still dislike it I might be open to buying it off you, or trading for something else. Would like to have a backup since my review copy is in need of a re-shell.

I appreciate the offer, however the pair I'm using were loaned to me by another generous HFer. I don't think he would want me trading them away LOL!

If I did own them, I would definitely take you up on the offer though. As I have loads of other gear I like better, these would just sit unused in a drawer gathering dust.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #13,626 of 31,831
I saw that the Brainwavz B400 had a nice cleaning kit as well as a 2 year warranty. Though, since 200$ was my whole budget and I'm buying Shanling M0 now too, I might be going to 300$ or I might have to just buy iBasso IT01 instead. What do you think?

Pakistan is quite dusty, correct?

B400 have totally open nozzles, with no nozzle screens at all. The nozzle screens on 95% of other IEMs help block out some dust and debris. Might be something to consider.

Also, as far as warranty:
1. Keep in mind you usually have to ship it back to the company for repair. That may or may not be a realistic thing being in Pakistan.
2. If your friend buys them for you, you may not be able to get the warranty yourself since you are not the original owner. You would either have to have your friend handle warranty claims, or else check with Btainwavz to see if the warranty is transferable to 2nd owners.

Just some food for thought!

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #13,627 of 31,831
Pakistan is quite dusty, correct?

B400 have totally open nozzles, with no nozzle screens at all. The nozzle screens on 95% of other IEMs help block out some dust and debris. Might be something to consider.

Also, as far as warranty:
1. Keep in mind you usually have to ship it back to the company for repair. That may or may not be a realistic thing being in Pakistan.
2. If your friend buys them for you, you may not be able to get the warranty yourself since you are not the original owner. You would either have to have your friend handle warranty claims, or else check with Btainwavz to see if the warranty is transferable to 2nd owners.

Just some food for thought!

Won't the open nozzles be blocked when the tips are on them? It is dusty around here, but it's not a desert kind of dusty. My furniture gets a little dusty if I leave them uncleaned for like 10-20 days I guess.

It's not a friend, it's actually my immediate family. They live there, and every year someone goes to visit them so it's a possibility that I could make use of the warranty.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #13,628 of 31,831
Hey. Thanks for this!

I'm a pretty casual music listener, and I do it just for the enjoyment and appreciation, so I don't really use or care about using an amp or anything else that modifies the sound except an mp3 player, and that too a simple one, though I'm planning to spend 100$ to buy the Shanling M0 now along with the new headphones. The same for tips, I don't really care about that right now unless it really bothers me.

As for the music, I've got a lot of "Edm" type of music, but also like old early 2000s rock songs. But a rap song or two there as well. Basically, all types of music, nothing in specific. So I want the IEM to be good for every thing.

Lastly, I can't try out any thing before buying since I live in Pakistan, and those high-end companies don't sell here. I'll be getting someone else to bring them for me. I saw that the Brainwavz B400 had a nice cleaning kit as well as a 2 year warranty. Though, since 200$ was my whole budget and I'm buying Shanling M0 now too, I might be going to 300$ or I might have to just buy iBasso IT01 instead. What do you think?
Well, considering Your provided info - I personally would go for iBasso IT01 because its BQ, QC, service/warranty, comfort, shape, provided accessories, high-quality cable and all-around good performance is more than price says. Their are great for EDM and don`t get messy/muddy with complex music also. Should match Shanling M0 nicely (as much as I`ve read).
Plus side is that You can save some money (from not buying more expensive B400/CA comets) and spend it for buying quality mSD cards, tips, music, power bank or whatever :wink:

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #13,629 of 31,831
Well, considering Your provided info - I personally would go for iBasso IT01 because its BQ, QC, service/warranty, comfort, shape, provided accessories, high-quality cable and all-around good performance is more than price says. Their are great for EDM and don`t get messy/muddy with complex music also. Should match Shanling M0 nicely (as much as I`ve read).
Plus side is that You can save some money (from not buying more expensive B400/CA comets) and spend it for buying quality mSD cards, tips, music, power bank or whatever :wink:

That's actually good advice. I've already confirmed my final choice to be the B400 though. I hope it's worth the extra 100. Thanks guys!

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #13,630 of 31,831
The RevoNext RX8 is a superb budget IEM for instrumentals but can be sibilant in vocal music. Enjoy.
https://primeaudio.org/revonext-rx8-review/

DSC_1137_result.jpg

Oct 14, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #13,631 of 31,831
First impressions from HIFI Walker A7 are positive. V sound signature . Bass is good not very strong, mids are ok, highs are great. Extend well and are not piercing at least in medium volume. Silky highs. Soundstage is also excellent.These are bright IEMs but at the same time warm not clinical. Not that fast nor very airy. Got the plus version with the extra upgrade cable which seems decent and durable. Lightweight and comfy.

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #13,632 of 31,831
I'm interested in buying the Hifi Walker A7 since it is only about $25 CAD on Amazon.com. Can anyone who owns these IEMs please tell me what the sound sig is like? I mostly have neutral IEMs already in the Tin Audio T2 and the KZ ED16 and I'm pairing all of them with my Shanling M0.

EDIT: Oh snap, I didn't see the post right above mine... thank you for that! A V-Shaped sound sig would be nice! Any other opinions?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #13,633 of 31,831
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #13,634 of 31,831
I have a question for you guys: which IEM do you not listen to as often as before, but absolutely cannot even think of getting rid of them?

For me it's the KZ ED9. It's sad to say that my KZ ED9 has been replaced by more better sounding and technically-capable IEMs, but they have been my go-to IEMs for quite some time, and when I think of the fact that the ED9 is probably hands down the BEST sounding IEM for $10, it's virtually impossible to let these babies go on my local classifieds.

I will never ever give up my ED9.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #13,635 of 31,831
I have a question for you guys: which IEM do you not listen to as often as before, but absolutely cannot even think of getting rid of them?

For me it's the KZ ED9. It's sad to say that my KZ ED9 has been replaced by more better sounding and technically-capable IEMs, but they have been my go-to IEMs for quite some time, and when I think of the fact that the ED9 is probably hands down the BEST sounding IEM for $10, it's virtually impossible to let these babies go on my local classifieds.

I will never ever give up my ED9.
For me, it would be the kz ed9 as well. That's the guy that truly got me interested in this rabbit hole, and I'll never part with it. The other one is the Tennmak crazy cello. That was the one that blew my mind at what could be possible with only a 50.00 investment and I honestly believed it could possibly be end game for a couple of months, lol. I then had a slight change in sound preference and down the rabbit hole I went.
Both will be with me until the day they die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back