CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #12,466 of 31,831
I've also tested only a small sample of all BA iems but I don't think calling BA lifeless is being fair to them. At least, the ones I've tried, SE846, SK846, Skald 4, to name a few. The presentation was amazing with deep rumble for the bass and naturally expanding soundstage. Even the flat-feeling of UERM was brilliant in its own way.
I have a similar experience with BA based iem's as you. In my opinion, maybe the problem is he hasn't tried midfi BA's and hasn't heard the quality that can be had by spending more money on the iem's. I also was fairly disappointed in most of the sub 50.00 BA earphones, but now much prefer BA based iem's because of hearing properly tuned sonion and Knowles driver iem's.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #12,467 of 31,831
Perhaps it's due to my IEMs being cheap ones, thus not having a more expensive and higher quality BA in them. I don't know. All I know is both IEMs' highs sound unnatural and harsh. For the record, one is the KZ ES4 (which I dislike, as I find its highs to be very weird sounding), and the other I cannot name or discuss because... reasons and stuff.

In any case, even if more expensive BA sound better and more natural than the cheaper ones, I would probably never know, as I assume the IEMs that would use them would be way out of my budget.

So if I already own the i8 (which I do), buying the DC1 would be redundant?
For me, I purchased the Klipsch X11 on ebay for 60.00 and was blown away by what a single BA based earphone could sound like. They use a single high end Sonion BA driver and it's tuned that it almost sounds like a dynamic driver. They changed my perception on what was possible by using a balanced armature. I've since went up the price ladder and now MUCH prefer BA's. True quality BA's are generally more expensive though, I admit.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #12,468 of 31,831
Perhaps it's due to my IEMs being cheap ones, thus not having a more expensive and higher quality BA in them. I don't know. All I know is both IEMs' highs sound unnatural and harsh. For the record, one is the KZ ES4 (which I dislike, as I find its highs to be very weird sounding), and the other I cannot name or discuss because... reasons and stuff.

In any case, even if more expensive BA sound better and more natural than the cheaper ones, I would probably never know, as I assume the IEMs that would use them would be way out of my budget.

So if I already own the i8 (which I do), buying the DC1 would be redundant?
If you find i8 comfortable then yes, I guess there is no strong reason to move to DC1. I find DC1 much more comfortable though, with sound really similar to i8, so for now I will stick to DC1.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #12,469 of 31,831
For me, I purchased the Klipsch X11 on ebay for 60.00 and was blown away by what a single BA based earphone could sound like. They use a single high end Sonion BA driver and it's tuned that it almost sounds like a dynamic driver. They changed my perception on what was possible by using a balanced armature. I've since went up the price ladder and now MUCH prefer BA's. True quality BA's are generally more expensive though, I admit.

That’s how I felt about my Shure E4c (a genuine one, not the crap counterfeits that many people ended up with). Once I ditched the Comply foams and used silicone tips, it was amazing.

Definitely showed me what a single BA was capable of when done right.

Unfortunately, I traded them in to 1More for their H1707 triple driver over ears, which I instantly regretted (and still do to this day). Not because the H1707 sounded bad, but because the E4c sounded so good.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #12,470 of 31,831
AS10 dismantled
https://twitter.com/namanamaken77
vxDytA8srlcUvjFfDU-6djofJMycpIM9oFQ8fk4N58X2kbMQAacKip-iDNyDouGu1H4yFFQOgKDJmh5ccg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

JgynFj0YI_Qp9rOgT1EctSx3KvN_9UwVsGVxm2aZVHE4NxvsUBN62hj19RaZrtUschaMQEi3BH9WBsCcZg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

iGy3Xo2iPpOvzdOkpX8ekobGibX0Km71NjWzw79ixpuueqFx7ca3DrbrDGAZ_sP81WnKm2VctWErwrvf0w=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

vxDytA8srlcUvjFfDU-6djofJMycpIM9oFQ8fk4N58X2kbMQAacKip-iDNyDouGu1H4yFFQOgKDJmh5ccg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

I will have those in for review, what is the point of dismantling them? What can be seen inside? I cannot notice anything wrong there, but again, I am not sure what you're looking for in the dismantled IEM :)

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #12,471 of 31,831
I will have those in for review, what is the point of dismantling them? What can be seen inside? I cannot notice anything wrong there, but again, I am not sure what you're looking for in the dismantled IEM :)

why not? i see some japanese buyer get 2 pcs at once just to have a fair comparison on how each unit sounds like.
after a while they open up the product to see whats inside.
buying iem its like a buying candy with pocket change for them.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #12,472 of 31,831
why not? i see some japanese buyer get 2 pcs at once just to have a fair comparison on how each unit sounds like.
after a while they open up the product to see whats inside.
buying iem its like a buying candy with pocket change for them.

No, no, I don't contest the decision to open them up, I am not sure what to be looking for (?)

Or if there's anything one needs to notice that isn't in order.

Everything seems fine at first sight (?)

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #12,474 of 31,831
I wanted to let everyone know that I contacted the Amazon seller of the JoyPlus/Timmkoo/EMI/Estron IEM (C631, CI980 etc). They are not getting any more. The $15.99 was below cost to clear them out.

So for the lucky few that bought one at the $16 price, enjoy the incredible deal you got. For everyone else that wants one, you’re going to have to try and get one somewhere else (and expect to pay more).
God im so mad amazon ****ed my delivery

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #12,476 of 31,831
God im so mad amazon ****ed my delivery

Don't sweat it friend. It just wasn't meant to be.

I had a package like that once (Amazon mysteriously "sent it back" before it was even delivered). It turns out the delivery truck or driver or whomever smashed it (or damaged it in some way). So it was for the best. So ask yourself this - would you have been madder if they sent it back to Amazon without delivery, or if they delivered it and it was smashed into pieces?

ace ventura 3.gif

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/7041441/14-delivery-men-who-dont-give-a-fck-about-your-package

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #12,477 of 31,831

I had a package like that once (Amazon mysteriously "sent it back" before it was even delivered). It turns out the delivery truck or driver or whomever smashed it (or damaged it in some way). So it was for the best. So ask yourself this - would you have been madder if they sent it back to Amazon without delivery, or if they delivered it and it was smashed into pieces?

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/7041441/14-delivery-men-who-dont-give-a-fck-about-your-package

Please no Funky Cold Medina package discovery. :triportsad:

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #12,478 of 31,831

At least amazon would be good enough to refund me if it came destroyed

I was at least able to turn my rage into a $10 credit

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #12,479 of 31,831
I think it's about time that I did a detailed sound analysis and comparison of the Tin Audio T2 against T2's cousin: the Tin Audio T515.

The T515 was and still is my most favourite IEM of lately. I thought being the successor to the T2, having a brighter top end, and being twice as expensive and all that it would blow my T515 away. Apparently that wasn’t the case after all. Everything that I complained about on the T2, the T515 compensates for.

Well, what are we waiting for? Let the games begin!!!

aV9CEwd.png

First let’s start with bass. The lows on the T2, while deep and even more profound with its vents closed, simply do not have the strength and vigor that the T515’s bass possesses; specifically there is no bass rumble to be heard. Bassheads will definitely find the T515’s bass response to be more sufficient to that of the T2, but neither are basshead-worthy to begin with.

When it comes to lower-mids and mids, however, the T2 definitely has the upper hand in both abundance and details. There seems to be a very noticeable emphasis between 500Hz-2Khz on the T2. This results in a very thick and heavy sound that the T515 simply does not have, but if I were to be completely honest, I actually kind of like my lower-mids just a tad bit recessed.

Moving onto the high-mids, we finally get to the part where I believe that the T515 completely outclasses the T2. The T515 works wonders in its high-mids and presence area, making vocals sound so crisp, so clear, and so intimate. Accompanied with T515’s excellent imaging, it’s almost as if you are directly face-to-face with the vocalist while he/she is singing into the mic. With the T2, you get none of that spine-tingling intimacy and clarity with vocals or guitars or anything dependent on high-mids. This is quite possibly due to its rather small and dainty peak at 3Khz. The T515 also has a peak at 3khz, but is evidently much more accentuated and a bit more wider. I’ve also noticed that, compared to the T2, the T515’s high-mids peaks are more shaped like a mountain whereas on the T2 it is shaped more flat. Perhaps another—and possibly the biggest reason why the high-mids on the T2 seem more laidback is the fact that its entire mid-frequencies (500Hz-2Khz) take up most of the spotlight, leaving T2’s poor high-mids out of the action. On a positive note this means that you’ll never run into any harshness with the T2, which is rare but still occasional with the T515.

The treble region is where the T2 tries to impress, but in the end just ends up being a big sibilance monster. The biggest reason why I wanted the T2 to replace my T515 in the first place was because of the T2’s more brighter and upfront treble. The T515’s upper treble was already more than perfect, but it just needed a bit more emphasis (loudness) to leave me mesmerized. The T2’s upper treble is pretty damn emphasized I’ll give you that, but I find its timbre to be quite unnatural and is more prone to sibilance especially in vocals. In fact even with T2’s emphasized treble, I actually find the timbre of T515’s treble to be a tad bit brighter (I would roughly speculate that it’s because the upper treble peaks on the T515—although tiny—extend further to the 15-16Khz area). So in the end I still prefer the treble on the T515 simply because its timbre sounds more natural and a bit more sparkly, even if less emphasized. However on a brighter note, the sibilant treble on the T2 is still miles better than the eardrum-shattering sibilance you will get with the highs on the KZ ZS6.

In terms of soundstage and imaging I think it’s obvious that the winner is T515. Comparing the stage of the T2 to the T515 is like comparing your bedroom to a gymnasium, there is simply no room for comparison (pun intended). Imaging-wise the T2 is fairly decent with very accurate positioning of sounds, and is luckily able to replicate a 3D sense of space even within the super confined soundstage. Layering could be considered better than the T515, mostly because of its ability to reveal a plethora of micro-details without any clutter. I think the small soundstage is the only thing that’s keeping the T2 from having a good presentation of sound, otherwise it would’ve had so much potential.

So the winner is???

Well if you want an extraordinarily detailed IEM with a lean bass and some nice thick warm mids, the T2 has got you covered. But if you want a more "colder" sounding IEM with more brilliance in its high-mids (something that I've been fond of lately) and a more laidback treble that doesn't sacrifice brilliance, then the T515 is definitely for you

I, for one, am a sucker for the T515. They are—aside from KZ ED9—the only IEMs that can replicate the strum of an acoustic guitar so realistically, they make it sound so crisp and clear and HD. They make vocals shine and sparkle with spine-tingling intimacy. They are also very suitable for EDM.

Damn now I just realized how much I love my T515 that I'll probably buy another pair before they completely run out of stock.

T515 for life!!!!!

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #12,480 of 31,831
I think it's about time that I did a detailed sound analysis and comparison of the Tin Audio T2 against T2's cousin: the Tin Audio T515.

The T515 was and still is my most favourite IEM of lately. I thought being the successor to the T2, having a brighter top end, and being twice as expensive and all that it would blow my T515 away. Apparently that wasn’t the case after all. Everything that I complained about on the T2, the T515 compensates for.

Well, what are we waiting for? Let the games begin!!!

aV9CEwd.png

First let’s start with bass. The lows on the T2, while deep and even more profound with its vents closed, simply do not have the strength and vigor that the T515’s bass possesses; specifically there is no bass rumble to be heard. Bassheads will definitely find the T515’s bass response to be more sufficient to that of the T2, but neither are basshead-worthy to begin with.

When it comes to lower-mids and mids, however, the T2 definitely has the upper hand in both abundance and details. There seems to be a very noticeable emphasis between 500Hz-2Khz on the T2. This results in a very thick and heavy sound that the T515 simply does not have, but if I were to be completely honest, I actually kind of like my lower-mids just a tad bit recessed.

Moving onto the high-mids, we finally get to the part where I believe that the T515 completely outclasses the T2. The T515 works wonders in its high-mids and presence area, making vocals sound so crisp, so clear, and so intimate. Accompanied with T515’s excellent imaging, it’s almost as if you are directly face-to-face with the vocalist while he/she is singing into the mic. With the T2, you get none of that spine-tingling intimacy and clarity with vocals or guitars or anything dependent on high-mids. This is quite possibly due to its rather small and dainty peak at 3Khz. The T515 also has a peak at 3khz, but is evidently much more accentuated and a bit more wider. I’ve also noticed that, compared to the T2, the T515’s high-mids peaks are more shaped like a mountain whereas on the T2 it is shaped more flat. Perhaps another—and possibly the biggest reason why the high-mids on the T2 seem more laidback is the fact that its entire mid-frequencies (500Hz-2Khz) take up most of the spotlight, leaving T2’s poor high-mids out of the action. On a positive note this means that you’ll never run into any harshness with the T2, which is rare but still occasional with the T515.

The treble region is where the T2 tries to impress, but in the end just ends up being a big sibilance monster. The biggest reason why I wanted the T2 to replace my T515 in the first place was because of the T2’s more brighter and upfront treble. The T515’s upper treble was already more than perfect, but it just needed a bit more emphasis (loudness) to leave me mesmerized. The T2’s upper treble is pretty damn emphasized I’ll give you that, but I find its timbre to be quite unnatural and is more prone to sibilance especially in vocals. In fact even with T2’s emphasized treble, I actually find the timbre of T515’s treble to be a tad bit brighter (I would roughly speculate that it’s because the upper treble peaks on the T515—although tiny—extend further to the 15-16Khz area). So in the end I still prefer the treble on the T515 simply because its timbre sounds more natural and a bit more sparkly, even if less emphasized. However on a brighter note, the sibilant treble on the T2 is still miles better than the eardrum-shattering sibilance you will get with the highs on the KZ ZS6.

In terms of soundstage and imaging I think it’s obvious that the winner is T515. Comparing the stage of the T2 to the T515 is like comparing your bedroom to a gymnasium, there is simply no room for comparison (pun intended). Imaging-wise the T2 is fairly decent with very accurate positioning of sounds, and is luckily able to replicate a 3D sense of space even within the super confined soundstage. Layering could be considered better than the T515, mostly because of its ability to reveal a plethora of micro-details without any clutter. I think the small soundstage is the only thing that’s keeping the T2 from having a good presentation of sound, otherwise it would’ve had so much potential.

So the winner is???

Well if you want an extraordinarily detailed IEM with a lean bass and some nice thick warm mids, the T2 has got you covered. But if you want a more "colder" sounding IEM with more brilliance in its high-mids (something that I've been fond of lately) and a more laidback treble that doesn't sacrifice brilliance, then the T515 is definitely for you

I, for one, am a sucker for the T515. They are—aside from KZ ED9—the only IEMs that can replicate the strum of an acoustic guitar so realistically, they make it sound so crisp and clear and HD. They make vocals shine and sparkle with spine-tingling intimacy. They are also very suitable for EDM.

Damn now I just realized how much I love my T515 that I'll probably buy another pair before they completely run out of stock.

T515 for life!!!!!
T515 still my favorite as well (followed by i-into i8 and since recently Artiste DC1). Never considered T2 as an option after reading the reviews and looking at frequency graphs (although theoretically, as I outlined on previous page, multi-DD configuration is my favorite... but on T2 they just outsmarted themselves trying to create something even more audiophile-level than T515).

Now, I beg you if you find Black T515, drop me a pm or post here, I just can't find it anywhere. Would be happy to buy more for the future but it is nowhere to be found. I found couple T515s on tmall/taobao. Tried to buy it using superbuy.com but vendor replied that Black was out of stock (even though tmall/taobao has Black as one of the options).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back