CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #12,452 of 31,831
BA always sounds harsh and lifeless.
Amen! I realized this after two IEMs. Probably not statistically significant number to indicate a pattern, but it was enough for me.

I think now my Top 3 IEMs list looks like this (all are multi-dynamic driver IEMs) in no particular order
Tin Audio T515 Black
I-Into i8
Artiste DC 1
How does the DC1 compare to the i8 in terms of tonality and sound?

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #12,453 of 31,831
Any comments @ PHB EM-023 ? ZS6 "clone"? Another V-shaped chi-fi hybrid?
Got them today, so just a quick impression, although I think @Otto Motor has more detailed description in chi-fi thread.

Powerful, well extended bass, slightly recessed mids, elevated upper mids, but not in a painful way, and I really like the highs. There is some sibilance present here an there. Isolation isn't spectacular. This is all with shallow, wide bore tips. Very clean sounding.
Unfortunately, I don't have ZS6 so I can't compare...

Overall, I like them, will tip roll a bit now :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #12,454 of 31,831
Anyone has any luck searching for the Estron C631 on Taobao? I can't seem to find any listing after the last few days of searching. I'm looking for something which is more balanced and accurate for $30, and it seems that the C631 might just be up my alley (Was considering the KZ ZSR before this thread).

buy from amazon if you can, I can't seem to find it on taobao and buying from alibaba incurs stupid high shipping prices.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #12,455 of 31,831
Amen! I realized this after two IEMs. Probably not statistically significant number to indicate a pattern, but it was enough for me.

I've also tested only a small sample of all BA iems but I don't think calling BA lifeless is being fair to them. At least, the ones I've tried, SE846, SK846, Skald 4, to name a few. The presentation was amazing with deep rumble for the bass and naturally expanding soundstage. Even the flat-feeling of UERM was brilliant in its own way.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #12,457 of 31,831
what good value can i buy until 100$ ONEAR for airplane and travel ? no must bluethooth

The best value may well be to watch the classifieds for a used model to drop to the $100 mark. All the good ones I am thinking of are closer to $200 than $100 new.

Sennheiser HD25
Beyerdynamics DT 1350
B&W P5

a bit closer to the $100 mark are
Ultrasone 580
Sennheiser urbanite

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #12,458 of 31,831
I forgot about the massdrop E-mu purplehearts at $75 they fit your budget and are pretty nice.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #12,459 of 31,831
buy from amazon if you can, I can't seem to find it on taobao and buying from alibaba incurs stupid high shipping prices.
Yea, just thought it will be cheaper on taobao, and I actually can ship from Taobao for more reasonable prices than from Amazon, so probably gonna keep an eye out for it. Just went ahead with the ED16 for now, reviews seem pretty good so I probably won't be disappointed, especially having gone with the MH1 for the past 6-7 years.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #12,460 of 31,831
Anyone has any luck searching for the Estron C631 on Taobao? I can't seem to find any listing after the last few days of searching. I'm looking for something which is more balanced and accurate for $30, and it seems that the C631 might just be up my alley (Was considering the KZ ZSR before this thread).

I have been looking as well with no results. I have a pair from Amazon got for 16 bucks but I definitely need a second pair of these. Unbelievable sound quality regardless of the price. Definitely a nice surprise gem!!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #12,461 of 31,831
Was fooling ard with my new toy the Hifi Walker A1 and was thinking maybe i should try the micropore mod on the Tinaudio T2. Read this post from another forum and it showed the frequency graph with and without the micropore mod and i noticed that the T2's graph spikes around the 11k-12k region which is similar to the stock A1 (at 10k ish)

Either way the first day i used the A1 in its stock form, the upper mids and highs were a tad too hot for me, especially when i was listening to metallica's metallica album when i was on the way to work (Track: Of Wolf and Man), the cymbals and electric guitar almost killed my ears xD had to pull out the A1 and ask myself what was i listening to lol

So day 2 which is today, i tried it with the micropore mod and it actually mellowed down the highs, still a tad bright though. So now i am contemplating whether to do the vent piercing but it will affect the isolation and not so much the trebles so i just put it on hold. And since i was at home, i took out the T2 thinking mayhaps i can try the micropore mod too.

With the micropore, i feel its more neutral that stock form (stock is definitely brighter by alot). Didnt do the bass mod as i dont really love bass, the leaner the better xD the micropore mod seems to only affect the upper mids and trebles region and the porous nature didnt impact the imaging in my opinion

PS: The mod is to cut around 2-3mm width of micropore tape and stick it across the body of the IEM on the nozzle, forming a X shape. Then just put the tips over and voila, (if u say stock T2 is on steroids, then this mod makes it T2 without steroids lol)

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #12,462 of 31,831
Sorry to be off-topic, but Weedophile, I see you have **** PT15. I'm planning to buy one earbud (I have mostly In-ears) for a change, so I would to how does **** PT15 go against VE Monk+? ( I have **** PT15 on watch since last month but I'm not been able to make a decision lol)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #12,463 of 31,831

How does the DC1 compare to the i8 in terms of tonality and sound?
I don't have i8 with me at the moment but I can assure you they sound pretty similar in terms of warmth (not very warm) and brightness (not very bright) and I bet frequency graph for those will be similar.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #12,464 of 31,831
I've also tested only a small sample of all BA iems but I don't think calling BA lifeless is being fair to them.
Perhaps it's due to my IEMs being cheap ones, thus not having a more expensive and higher quality BA in them. I don't know. All I know is both IEMs' highs sound unnatural and harsh. For the record, one is the KZ ES4 (which I dislike, as I find its highs to be very weird sounding), and the other I cannot name or discuss because... reasons and stuff.

In any case, even if more expensive BA sound better and more natural than the cheaper ones, I would probably never know, as I assume the IEMs that would use them would be way out of my budget.

I don't have i8 with me at the moment but I can assure you they sound pretty similar in terms of warmth (not very warm) and brightness (not very bright) and I bet frequency graph for those will be similar.
So if I already own the i8 (which I do), buying the DC1 would be redundant?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #12,465 of 31,831
I wanted to let everyone know that I contacted the Amazon seller of the JoyPlus/Timmkoo/EMI/Estron IEM (C631, CI980 etc). They are not getting any more. The $15.99 was below cost to clear them out.

So for the lucky few that bought one at the $16 price, enjoy the incredible deal you got. For everyone else that wants one, you’re going to have to try and get one somewhere else (and expect to pay more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back