CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 17, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #107 of 31,809
  Thanks for getting back to me!

i have been doing more reading since i posted the question, this is the crossroad i'm at:

i can buy a few cheaper headphones, but deal with my wife complaining that i got too many headphones 
or i can just buy 1 more expensive one, i'm leaning towards shozy zeros that's got so much hype.

i was looking at the PMV-A01 but what you said is true, to listen all day i probably want something darker

that said, now you're making me want to get the zircons!

anyway i listen to a lot of 00s indie rock
a bit of dance
and sometimes i really enjoy some good vocals, florence and the machine, regina spektor - samson (great track)

but when i don't want to think, i just use my spotify discover weekly playlist

which begs another question, does it really matter if i listen to 320kbits compressed music?? haha

maybe i can just get the zircons and call it a day!

320kb is okay, don't go under tough because hissing can occur .

Shozy are surely a good choice, they are more than praise here and your wife will not think your a neurotic impulsive crackpot money spender.

If comfort is an important question for you, be aware that the ''custom type'' earphones can be a hit or miss game, for exemple I struggle with the KZ ATE to make them stick in my ears. The PMV A01 are of that type. Foam tips can do miracle to help a good fit.

Hum, if you can get the Zircon for 10$ on Ali, I don't think there any possible reason you will regret it, it's the same price than a 6packs of beer you know...and you can't have a hungover of good music.
tongue.gif

Anyway, i'm very impress right now by the SWING IE800 and I think they are a good all-arounder and have a very energic and detailed sound, I don't find them harsh sounding at all...and your wife will think you buy jewellery and not an earphones
wink_face.gif

Hum, it depend what earphones you already got, if you have a small collection I suggest to take 3 or 4 pairs of different sounding earphones that will suit all your taste because it's very rare that one earphones will be versatile enough for ALL type of music. As somebody that listen to Baroque Classical as well as Trap Rap, IDM, Folk, Indie and Jazz....and 1000 other bands...I can confirm there not earphones that will do the magical for every music type.

The Swing IE800 do very good with Indie tough.

May 17, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #108 of 31,809
  where are Swing IE800 sold. Also which foam tips do you use with them?

I buy it from EASY EARPHONES on Aliexpress, don't think they are sold anywhere else and they sound way better than the pricier Tingo DIY IE800 (I try it and sound congested....you pay for the stupid sennheiser sign on it).
Copy paste this link:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-DIY-IE800-Headphones-HiFi-In-ear-Ceramic-Earphone-Earbud-Headphone-Wth-Microphone-Top-Quality-HiFi/32489941823.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.264.piOCR8

Very good Foam tips that I use on most of my earphones (you need to write to the seller for the size and color):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6pcs-3pairs-Comply-T100-T400-Memory-Ear-Foam-Eartips-For-In-Ear-Earphone-Earbud-Headset/32455634376.html

beerchug.gif

May 17, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #110 of 31,809

I buy it from EASY EARPHONES on Aliexpress, don't think they are sold anywhere else and they sound way better than the pricier Tingo DIY IE800 (I try it and sound congested....you pay for the stupid sennheiser sign on it).
Copy paste this link:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-DIY-IE800-Headphones-HiFi-In-ear-Ceramic-Earphone-Earbud-Headphone-Wth-Microphone-Top-Quality-HiFi/32489941823.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.264.piOCR8

Very good Foam tips that I use on most of my earphones (you need to write to the seller for the size and color):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6pcs-3pairs-Comply-T100-T400-Memory-Ear-Foam-Eartips-For-In-Ear-Earphone-Earbud-Headset/32455634376.html

beerchug.gif

thanks a lot!

May 17, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #111 of 31,809
It make one Week that i'm not very active here because I was away from home....but NOT from my earphones
bigsmile_face.gif

After some testing and comparaison I discover NEW gems that I will include in the list:

TUNA earphones are something to watch, especially the well built TUNA X6. The soundstage of these earphones is very big, bass is boomy and vast, sound is darkish Sennheiser style, V shape sound with good average details retreival and a somewhat Closed-cans sound experience....man, I listen to them writing this and at 6(!) $ they are a STEAL!!!!

KZ ATE are very impressive too, not listen much but I was impress by their driver units. Sound and instruments separation is very well articulated and bass is is round and present but not boomy, soundstage above average. Vocals are fowards but kind of bright. Will do an official review on of these days because they are a real treat to listen to!

The VJJB V1 are incredible value and one of the best dual drivers in the sub 100$ range. Sound is punchy and well articulate in all frequencies, warm sounding and vast soundstage. Thank you to TWIN for offering me the chance to listen and ENJOY this earphones!!

TUNA X1 are really good too, but I prefer the X6. The X1 have a more airy and neutral sound and is more appropriate with instrumentals music.

KZ ZN1 are better than the ZS1 in my opinion. It's all about soundstage here: ENORMOUS ONE. The sound isn't very natural tough and bass is a little out of control, but with the right music it is like being in a stadium with speakers everywhere.

beerchug.gif

May 18, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #112 of 31,809
Wow guys, you people are sure interesting to read!

Now, after reading through thousands of messages in both this thread and the official Asian brand one, I have a simple question.

Is there a pair that you would recommend to listen to metal and heavy music? (August Burns Red, Born of Osiris)
I was debating on a sub-30$ pair from Easy, but there are so many that I do not know what would be the best pick. 

I know that most IEMs under 100$ are pretty meh for metal, but surely some of these obscure set can perform awesome! 

May 18, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #113 of 31,809
  Wow guys, you people are sure interesting to read!

Now, after reading through thousands of messages in both this thread and the official Asian brand one, I have a simple question.

Is there a pair that you would recommend to listen to metal and heavy music? (August Burns Red, Born of Osiris)
I was debating on a sub-30$ pair from Easy, but there are so many that I do not know what would be the best pick. 

I know that most IEMs under 100$ are pretty meh for metal, but surely some of these obscure set can perform awesome! 

Hum, look like there alot of MetalheadFIER here on headfi
wink_face.gif

I listen surely to some kind of ''metal'' from experimental Norway scene, will check out what can be interesting for you in what I have...will try the Swing IE800 first because they sound great with guitars, slap bass not sure tough.
I think that earphones that sound very good with Classical symphony have good chance to sound very good with complex Metal tracks.

Got a friend that is the bassist of ''Epiphany from the Abyss'', don't know if you know this band? Quite a killer bassist if you ask me.
Anyway, perhaps I should lend him some earphones to know wich one is his favorite!

Will come you back with some suggestions dude.

Cheers!

May 18, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #114 of 31,809
Listening to my KZ ED8S because of a recommendation I saw in the KZ thread. These are BIG but coupled with the Zircon's medium tips they are amazing for the price. My favourite KZ's so far. Only not to sure about how I look with them in my ears, they really stick out and are far bigger than I suspected on pictures. Comfortable though.

May 18, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #117 of 31,809
Okay then, hehe, I will stop testing them with hardcore jazz rock band Elephant 9....wait, not right now because it sound good!

I really suggest you to use or buy memory foam eartips....with the wrong eartips it sound WRONG.
Driver need a little air space to blossom and some tips included make the drivers to exposed and make the Swing sound distant and bright.

Hope you will like them!!!

May 18, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #118 of 31,809
I use comply foam any time I can. I love the stuff  - my UE TripleFi 10 have it - they are my best sounding in ear headphones.  
  Okay then, hehe, I will stop testing them with hardcore jazz rock band Elephant 9....wait, not right now because it sound good!

I really suggest you to use or buy memory foam eartips....with the wrong eartips it sound WRONG.
Driver need a little air space to blossom and some tips included make the drivers to exposed and make the Swing sound distant and bright.

Hope you will like them!!!

I use comply foam any time I can. I love the stuff  - my UE TripleFi 10 have it - they are my best sounding in ear headphones.  

May 18, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #119 of 31,809

I listen surely to some kind of ''metal'' from experimental Norway scene, will check out what can be interesting for you in what I have...will try the Swing IE800 first because they sound great with guitars, slap bass not sure tough.

I think that earphones that sound very good with Classical symphony have good chance to sound very good with complex Metal tracks.

Got a friend that is the bassist of ''Epiphany from the Abyss'', don't know if you know this band? Quite a killer bassist if you ask me.
Anyway, perhaps I should lend him some earphones to know wich one is his favorite!

Will come you back with some suggestions dude.

Cheers!

The cheap pair that I have right now (V-Moda bass freq) are pretty good for experimental "Norwayish" stuff and classical, however they are a bit too bassy on hardcore/metalcore/djent, so I lose the guitar in complex arrangements. 

I do agree, when I listen to Dream Theater, it is 100% perfect, but when the instruments are mashed up, it kind of drops down to okay at best haha. I might have a go at my equalizer tho, and maybe a good amp could help. 

I know the band and they are awesome, I've seen them live a few times. Seeing how we are both within 150 kms from each other, I am not surprised you mentioned their name!

And yeah, usually when people think Metalheads, they think heavy bass and thats it. I care more about hearing my guitar solo! 

May 18, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #120 of 31,809
yeah metal is not about bass, the examples of the phones I gave offer a nice clarity, separation of instruments, detail and guitars sound good

p.s. just listening to my recent discovery: Haggard - Eppur Si Muove, amazing stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back