CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #5,116 of 31,831
Looking back your site...quite a change!
Check the ''on our turntables'' picks....not very diversify mustly rock and indie but I see SLINT wich is nice....not bad choice, just surprise there any classical, jazz or electronic. Is it the albums you use for reviews?

But more specifically, i'm curious to know where to find the PMH hybrid?

It would be quite interesting to have an idea of IEM price you reviews too, just sayin, cause even budget 10 or 50 is quite a difference.

Love your ZS5 review too:wink:
i do listen to a lot of jazz and blues, tho most of my headphone listening is guys/gals with guitars--edm, techno and rap aren't my typical thing. i've encouraged vidal and peter (who have more cosmopolitain tastes than me) to write more music reviews

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #5,118 of 31,831
This brand kinda look interesting...especially there 6BA IEM that I barely buy at 11/11 sale.

So 1 quality dynamic driver for 22$ or 35$ with the fancy cable (look nice!)....by bassy you mean quality bass that doesnt eat the mids??? Did you have the NICEHCK BRO, comparaison with those could be interesting:)

By bassy I mean this is one of the few iems in my collection that might unseat the original brass-ringed KZ ZS1 as my preferred guilty pleasure bass cannon. After listening for almost five hours straight last night I found the bass bleed is controlled and any overshadowing mitigated by a raise in the lower mids. Male vocals seem to be unaffected by all that bass though the upper mids are a bit hit or miss. Some female vocalists stand out, others are too recessed. It really varies song to song. I spent almost all my time listening to electronic tracks for which I consider them near perfect. Warm, lots of bass, clear mid-range, treble that rolls off slowly but keeps the energy and avoids fatigue, big sound stage with lots of layers and good separation. There is an abundance of mid-bass similar to the RT-1, but the mid-/sub-bass balance is better with improved extension and more sub-bass emphasis. You really feel the low notes as a result.

As a side note, the nozzles are open with just a circle of foam stuffed inside acting as a filter. Take that out and they balance out a bit with lessened bass and more treble/mids. People that like to mod should enjoy these, especially since the all-metal housings are just screwed together and easily disassembled.

20171212_093402[1].jpg

Stock, these sound like they'd be right at home in a budget bass head collection. If you're looking for neutral...nooooope. Look elsewhere.

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #5,119 of 31,831
The Cashews also came in. Thankfully I've had none of the build quality issues the others mentioned. I only spent a song or two with them but they came across as bass cannons much like the Tiandirenhe. They're also wayyy bigger than they look in pics. They're huge!

20171211_194958.jpg 20171211_195013.jpg 20171211_195050.jpg 20171211_195106.jpg 20171211_195116.jpg

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #5,120 of 31,831
The Cashews also came in. Thankfully I've had none of the build quality issues the others mentioned. I only spent a song or two with them but they came across as bass cannons much like the Tiandirenhe. They're also wayyy bigger than they look in pics. They're huge!

So yours is a tough nut to crack?

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #5,122 of 31,831
@loomisjohnson is the resident music critic, I've been meaning to write some album reviews but there's been a lot going on at home so haven't had the time to sit down and write stuff. Same reason I've got a backlog of IEMs to do as well. Loomis also does the abridged IEM reviews. He's got a talented ear.

The PMH are Penon's - I don't link to sellers as I'm not biased in anyway, plus prices change so much. A simple google on the IEM will bring up prices and sellers.

You'll note some reviewers will mention who gave them the kit and some other reviewers even get affiliate link kickbacks (now that must really influence impartiality). Not me, 100% independent on budget reviews.

Yeah, this is something I seriously respect from you, other reviewer that write review of IEM they choose and just get partial discount so they can buy more IEM is something I accept too (instead of waiting it go fora sale once a year), what I feel very suspect is the one that receive anything free, from crap to nice IEM and strangely give 4-5 stars to everything they review, more the price worth is higher more the dangerous subjectivity that do not take seriously price value in account occur....read some stuff that say IEM distort and sound quite horrifious, but they give 4 stars....this phenomenon can be even worst on youtbe video review....have a pretty intense exchange with a guy that treat me name cause I say his video was boring and tell nothing constructive about audio in his 26 minutes lenght...it was about Opus DAP, I wanna know what OPamp it have in upgrade version but he was just talking how sweet the player look and how much other luxurious DAP he own...was like, do you talk about your jewellery collection you wanna wear for the look or the sound and inner part of the DAP? Anyway, I was thinking about making a real bad ass review blog....but its so long...wanna call it Gringe Audio lol, like, its an anti-review blog in some way...quite humorous but unforgivably serious too...but headfi take already enough of my time I think.

Anyway, wasnt talking about putting link, just price, but will check it out on Penon!

And for AudiobOdget....don't know all the conspiracy theory stuff, hes important for me because I kind of discover chifi cause of its site, it was the very first, Woo shop give so much discount to anybody.....but yes, hes kind of very friendly with him from what I can see in its Facebook page....kind of tell him lot of time too wich make him little mad LOL

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #5,124 of 31,831
I'd advise against the PMV, I found them too bassy.

Thanks. I visited your site and looked some up. Swing/Tingo IE800 Looks interesting but the one i'm most curious about now is the "Ty Hi-Z G3". Unfortunately they are not available anywhere as far as i could see.
Is there any model that have replaced these in terms of sound and soundstage?

You can begin with ZS5 or 6 and if it do not wow you, it will not have kill your wallet dramatically.
I really dig my PMV, sound is so detailed and immersive, instruments separation is like...visual, yep, you can ''see'' the sound. They are far from bassy (with memory foam tips), but only real drawback is that the non detachable cable is made of 2 parts and second part that go around ears (without memory) feel a little cheap and im afraid of durability cause of this. Now I listen to them with Xmos DAC-AMp with AK4490 chip and bass is more present and soundstage even more wide, these are very easy to drive, ANYTHING will drive them properly wich is a big plus as they are my easier to drive IEM of all 50 I got. I wish price go a little down time to time, even on ali sale the PMV wasnt sub 55....

What type of music do you listen and what is your source???

Yea i'm leaning more toward swing/tingo IE800 and if there's a replacement for "Ty Hi-Z G3" that sound similar i might get that too.
I will only be using them at my computer, connecting to a external soundcard which should be able to drive pretty much anything.
Might shop for an amp/dac later but it's low priority right now.

Won't be using them for music, only gaming. But yea, mostly electronic music. It's not a priority though. I basically just want something that's like the AD700x but in the iem format.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #5,125 of 31,831
i do listen to a lot of jazz and blues, tho most of my headphone listening is guys/gals with guitars--edm, techno and rap aren't my typical thing. i've encouraged vidal and peter (who have more cosmopolitain tastes than me) to write more music reviews
Nice, i'm kind of very eclectic myself, not a techno fan and even less rap, just very open minded, as I produce music too im obsess by production skills and complexity of it, in electronice like experimental IDM like Ametsub or Jlin, or ambient like Tim Hecker or Fennesz, audio sound experience can be so extreme and clear, feel electro can sound way cleaner, especially nice with ''clinical analytical'' IEM, its like virtual reality for the ears. Anyway, for me real music is Classical and sometime Jazz (leaning to classical like ECM label sound), but its very nice to entertain ears too, or get emotion from signers that know to talk to our heart. About rock, I like Slint and post-rock scene (krautrock too), for exemple, this is my favorite album from band MONO (remember the goosebumps I have 17 years ago at there show):

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #5,126 of 31,831
By bassy I mean this is one of the few iems in my collection that might unseat the original brass-ringed KZ ZS1 as my preferred guilty pleasure bass cannon. After listening for almost five hours straight last night I found the bass bleed is controlled and any overshadowing mitigated by a raise in the lower mids. Male vocals seem to be unaffected by all that bass though the upper mids are a bit hit or miss. Some female vocalists stand out, others are too recessed. It really varies song to song. I spent almost all my time listening to electronic tracks for which I consider them near perfect. Warm, lots of bass, clear mid-range, treble that rolls off slowly but keeps the energy and avoids fatigue, big sound stage with lots of layers and good separation. There is an abundance of mid-bass similar to the RT-1, but the mid-/sub-bass balance is better with improved extension and more sub-bass emphasis. You really feel the low notes as a result.

As a side note, the nozzles are open with just a circle of foam stuffed inside acting as a filter. Take that out and they balance out a bit with lessened bass and more treble/mids. People that like to mod should enjoy these, especially since the all-metal housings are just screwed together and easily disassembled.

Stock, these sound like they'd be right at home in a budget bass head collection. If you're looking for neutral...nooooope. Look elsewhere.
Oh, its metal housing too! Well....you begin to convince me...
and hehe, I just check my 6BA order....and its from this seller haha! Knowing now that there serious IEM manufacturer give me more hope about good sound calibration of 6BA drivers!
HTB1kOW5RFXXXXacXVXXq6xXFXXX0.jpg

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #5,127 of 31,831
Thanks. I visited your site and looked some up. Swing/Tingo IE800 Looks interesting but the one i'm most curious about now is the "Ty Hi-Z G3". Unfortunately they are not available anywhere as far as i could see.

Yea i'm leaning more toward swing/tingo IE800 and if there's a replacement for "Ty Hi-Z G3" that sound similar i might get that too.
I will only be using them at my computer, connecting to a external soundcard which should be able to drive pretty much anything.

Won't be using them for music, only gaming. But yea, mostly electronic music. It's not a priority though. I basically just want something that's like the AD700x but in the iem format.
For electronic....quite certain you will not find mesmerizing the SwingIE800. But I let you make your own choice.
cheers!

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #5,128 of 31,831
Dec 12, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #5,129 of 31,831

Yeah, the G3 seemed to have disappeared without a trace. There was a replacement with a slightly different exterior finish but even those have vanished. Just dug my old pair out and, wow, they're excellent. In some ways I prefer them to the VE duke I'm trialing at the moment.

The Tingo seem to be hard to find, a guy who PMs me got stung with a faulty pair so tread carefully. BTW the G3 are noticeably superior to the Tingo

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #5,130 of 31,831

Would be happy to see your impressions, Bass canons ? Some people Said that they lack some Sub-bass and Lean to a Bright signature. Curious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back