CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 4, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #4,261 of 31,831
Nov 4, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #4,262 of 31,831
I'm looking for iems that are good for classical... I dont think its right that the RM-610D is still my best for that smoothish top, balanced sound that doesn't make the harpschichord in the back sound like scratches to my ears... there has to be something better that won't make me miss my open-back planars too much. I'm ready to try higher priced chifi. Recommendations?

Cheers

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #4,263 of 31,831
I'd venture to guess that my hearing issue effected or possibly damaged from the peak Hz and volumes produced from my earlier days as a guitarist where practice and shows regularly hit 135dB mark and at times when some issue would pop up in someone gear we'd get blasted with high Hz that's like nails on the chalkboard.

There's plenty of sub bass and lower bass, I just don't hear the fullness in heavy rhythmic guitars that may be lower mids possibly Makin bass guitar seem a little-known thin as well... but that's also in comparison with how much sub bass there is as well that could be drowning it out a bit. There's plenty of bass and rumble on pop and EDM tracks though, just not the audible range by comparison for heavier classic guitar laden rock.

Also with volume levels I prefer, maybe how and when the IEM hit that point isn't something the designers considered or researched in its design and build as I imagine most people probable don't push their ears or IEM that hard and not something thinking about it now I'd probable have considered myself if I were the designers.

I've tried them shoved deeper than thought really possible and everything in between to barely just sitting in my ears... further out def reduces bass and increases the air and treble.

At lower volume levels they're fairly solid sounding gear. Unfortunately with how I've trained my ears for work n play with guitar and live/studio stuff that guitarist generally have to have it sound "right" and work obsessively to find or fix it until it does.

I'm definitely not expecting miracles or to get $1k performance at $100. Something similar to my old Monster Beats earbuds, but better in some aspects and regards where possible... and the differences/improvements vs NC50 aren't all required exactly for most part, but are ballpark and ideal wants in that comparison, even if just marginally better outside of a few key issues and areas.

So what thread link do ya'll have for the $101-$200 IEM similar to this wonderful (I do mean that) group of people and info?

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,264 of 31,831
I'm looking for iems that are good for classical... I dont think its right that the RM-610D is still my best for that smoothish top, balanced sound that doesn't make the harpschichord in the back sound like scratches to my ears... there has to be something better that won't make me miss my open-back planars too much. I'm ready to try higher priced chifi. Recommendations?

Cheers
bosshifi b3

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #4,266 of 31,831
I'd venture to guess that my hearing issue effected or possibly damaged from the peak Hz and volumes produced from my earlier days as a guitarist where practice and shows regularly hit 135dB mark and at times when some issue would pop up in someone gear we'd get blasted with high Hz that's like nails on the chalkboard.

There's plenty of sub bass and lower bass, I just don't hear the fullness in heavy rhythmic guitars that may be lower mids possibly Makin bass guitar seem a little-known thin as well... but that's also in comparison with how much sub bass there is as well that could be drowning it out a bit. There's plenty of bass and rumble on pop and EDM tracks though, just not the audible range by comparison for heavier classic guitar laden rock.

Also with volume levels I prefer, maybe how and when the IEM hit that point isn't something the designers considered or researched in its design and build as I imagine most people probable don't push their ears or IEM that hard and not something thinking about it now I'd probable have considered myself if I were the designers.

I've tried them shoved deeper than thought really possible and everything in between to barely just sitting in my ears... further out def reduces bass and increases the air and treble.

At lower volume levels they're fairly solid sounding gear. Unfortunately with how I've trained my ears for work n play with guitar and live/studio stuff that guitarist generally have to have it sound "right" and work obsessively to find or fix it until it does.

I'm definitely not expecting miracles or to get $1k performance at $100. Something similar to my old Monster Beats earbuds, but better in some aspects and regards where possible... and the differences/improvements vs NC50 aren't all required exactly for most part, but are ballpark and ideal wants in that comparison, even if just marginally better outside of a few key issues and areas.

So what thread link do ya'll have for the $101-$200 IEM similar to this wonderful (I do mean that) group of people and info?
So I think part of the problem is just the lack of points of comparison... for reference, what kind of Monster Beats IEMs are we talking here? There's a number of them, aren't there?

I'm thinking you might want to look into something generally warmer and tending towards U or V-shaped for those listening volumes, with a laid back mid-range and probably some elevation in the mid-bass but the treble boost pushed out towards the upper treble, not so much upper mids / lower treble. I would tend to think that anything described as somewhere closer to balanced or slightly bright is probably going to tend towards harsh and A-shaped at those volumes.

EDIT: NOPE, that A-shaped bit is just downright wrong, balanced goes to V-shaped at elevated volumes :disappointed_relieved:, but harsh still applies, and I think the rest might be worth considering - one man's warm, smooth, intimate and romantic mids can be another man's recessed to oblivion and completely absent any detail. I feel like you want more lower mids and less upper mids, but I also feel like I should stop rambling as you're really far outside of my comfort zone and I just feel compelled to respond as one of the only other people with a pair of NC50s in hand. :wink:

As for where to look, the other Chi-Fi thread tends to have more information about the next price category up, but you might want to jump outside the Chi-Fi threads too... there's plenty of great V-shaped sounding products out there out there as it tends to be a very consumer friendly sound shape.

EDIT AGAIN: I feel the need to clean up my ramblings a bit... by adding to them, yeah, that's surely helping :disappointed_relieved: but perceptions of sibilance, fatigue, brightness and forwardness of the midrange tend to reside in the same general region (upper mids / lower treble), so reigning in fatigue and adding enough warmth to the mid range for you without putting it completely in your face might push the mids back far enough for someone else to call it V-shaped. That's where that jumbled line of thought was going.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #4,267 of 31,831
What are the differences between bosshifi b3 & b3s?

The B3 is smaller, and more organic looking, since the majority of its housing is made from dark Ebony Wood. I have the B3, really like how it sounds. It's very comfortable to wear, due to the smooth curves, and soft wire.
Newest-BOSSHIFI-B3-Dynamic-and-Armature-2-unit-Wood-Earbuds-HIFI-Ebony-Moving-Iron-Coil-In.jpg

The B3S looks a bit larger, and has a partial veneer of some kind of red Wood, over the plastic/metal housing. I don't have this model, but it has a different cable, and appears to have sharper edges than the B3.
2016-BOSSHIFI-B3s-Dynamic-and-Armature-2-unit-Wood-Earbuds-HIFI-Red-Wooden-Moving-Iron-Coil.jpg

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #4,268 of 31,831
The B3 is smaller, and more organic looking, since the majority of its housing is made from dark Ebony Wood. I have the B3, really like how it sounds. It's very comfortable to wear, due to the smooth curves, and soft wire.
Newest-BOSSHIFI-B3-Dynamic-and-Armature-2-unit-Wood-Earbuds-HIFI-Ebony-Moving-Iron-Coil-In.jpg

The B3S looks a bit larger, and has a partial veneer of some kind of red Wood, over the plastic/metal housing. I don't have this model, but it has a different cable, and appears to have sharper edges than the B3.
2016-BOSSHIFI-B3s-Dynamic-and-Armature-2-unit-Wood-Earbuds-HIFI-Red-Wooden-Moving-Iron-Coil.jpg
What is the difference in sound signature ,???

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #4,269 of 31,831
What is the difference in sound signature ,???

I've done a bit of searching, but haven't seen any write-ups by anyone who has both the B3 and B3S.
The B3S is the newer, supposedly updated model - but personally, I prefer the looks of the B3.

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #4,270 of 31,831
I've done a bit of searching, but haven't seen any write-ups by anyone who has both the B3 and B3S.
The B3S is the newer, supposedly updated model - but personally, I prefer the looks of the B3.

I might review them next month I blew my review budget on the DM5 and Tinaudio T2 this month.

Nov 5, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #4,271 of 31,831
I have finally the following in ears on my list, but need help with the decision (Decision must be done before 11.11.):

- Tin Audio T2
- Tin Audio T515
- Musicmaster TK12
- Svara Red
- Memt X5
- Pioneer CH9T
- LZ A4 (worth the 170$ at 11.11?)

I'm not a basshead, but good bass and sub-bass are welcome.
I am looking for a full and precise sound with good voice reproduction. Currently I have a Nuforce Primo 8, but I do not like the sound of voices (a bit tinny).

For daily use. (Is LZ A4 suitable for everyday use?)

As you can see, price is not the problem, but should be under or slightly above $ 100 (

Music genre: electronic, indie, rock
Sources: Onkyo Granbeat, iPhone 6

Nov 5, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #4,272 of 31,831
I have finally the following in ears on my list, but need help with the decision (Decision must be done before 11.11.):

- Tin Audio T2
- Tin Audio T515
- Musicmaster TK12
- Svara Red
- Memt X5
- Pioneer CH9T

I am looking for a full and precise sound with good voice reproduction. Currently I have a Nuforce Primo 8, but I do not like the sound of voices (a bit tinny).

As you can see, price is not the problem, but should be under or slightly above $ 100 (

LZ A4 is an excellent iem but i don't think it is suitable for walking/jogging or in the bus/train ,
also check the Brainwavz B-400( before 10th Nov. you can get them for about $162) if you want excellent vocals, isolation and comfort ,

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #4,273 of 31,831

- Tin Audio T2
- Tin Audio T515
- Musicmaster TK12
- Svara Red
- Memt X5
- Pioneer CH9T

I think that Toneking Nine Tail are also worth considering: I don't own them, but reading @crabdog review, they tick a lot of boxes for ~100 USD https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/toneking-nine-tail.22673/reviews

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #4,274 of 31,831
I think that Toneking Nine Tail are also worth considering: I don't own them, but reading @crabdog review, they tick a lot of boxes for ~100 USD https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/toneking-nine-tail.22673/reviews
Yes, the TNT is an awesome IEM indeed. It's less V-shaped than the TFZs and H3 etc and has a more balanced approach. I think people are a bit intimidated by the unusual styling and that's why the adoption rate has been slow but when it comes to sound that one is a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back