CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 4, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,781 of 31,831
My GF asked me to buy her a pair of iems, so I'm here asking for advice. She listens to rock, metal, pop, instrumental and folk, and she will be driving them with her smartphone. So:
-budget 20$ max
-easy to drive
-forgiving on bad recordings
-sturdy
-straight down cable

Thank you!

You didn’t specifically mention a sound signature, so I’m going to assume an “average consumer tune”, which appeals to most of the population. That would be a v or u shaped sound.

With that in mind:

Einsear T2, Urbanfun HiFi hybrid (grey not black cable), KZ EDR1, or KZ EDR2.

The KZs I listed in particular are sturdy and can take some serious abuse.

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,782 of 31,831
Look what i just got in the mail!
Reviews coming soon!

Those aweis look just like the A920BLS (A920BL Pro).

I wonder what’s different between those and the AK8?

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #3,783 of 31,831
You didn’t specifically mention a sound signature, so I’m going to assume an “average consumer tune”, which appeals to most of the population. That would be a v or u shaped sound.

With that in mind:

My bad, I totally forgot: yes, v shaped or u shaped would be ideal, and she prefers musicality over detail. Anyway thank you very much, I'm gonna check your suggestions!

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3,784 of 31,831
My bad, I totally forgot: yes, v shaped or u shaped would be ideal, and she prefers musicality over detail. Anyway thank you very much, I'm gonna check your suggestions!

Great.

Also, as much as control buttons (volume, microphone, play/pause) offer convenience, they do often affect the reliability/sturdiness (which you cited as important). When an IEM has cable failures and/or channel imbalances, it’s commonly the control button area that’s the problem (wiring, solder joint, circuitry, etc).

So getting an IEM without any controls will eliminate that failure-prone area (as well as usually being a few dollars cheaper). It’s a trade off though (convenience with reliability), and a lot of people aren’t willing to accept that trade off. I just thought I’d mention it though.

Both KZs I listed are available with and without the mic/control option.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,785 of 31,831
Great.

Also, as much as control buttons (volume, microphone, play/pause) offer convenience, they do often affect the reliability/sturdiness (which you cited as important). When an IEM has cable failures and/or channel imbalances, it’s commonly the control button area that’s the problem (wiring, solder joint, circuitry, etc).

So getting an IEM without any controls will eliminate that failure-prone area (as well as usually being a few dollars cheaper). It’s a trade off though (convenience with reliability), and a lot of people aren’t willing to accept that trade off. I just thought I’d mention it though.

Both KZs I listed are available with and without the mic/control option.

Since her old iems were without mic, I don't think she needs it. So, plain cable without mic or controls. Thanks!

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #3,786 of 31,831
Those aweis look just like the A920BLS (A920BL Pro).

I wonder what’s different between those and the AK8?

Hmmm, i don't think they look similar:
aww.jpg

I think the more interesting question is: what the hell is the difference between the AK8 and the AK3,AK5 and AK7 which share the same specs, but not the same housing :-D

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #3,787 of 31,831
Hmmm, i don't think they look similar:

I think the more interesting question is: what the hell is the difference between the AK8 and the AK3,AK5 and AK7 which share the same specs, but not the same housing :-D

Yeah, after I left that message I was able to do some digging. You’re right they are different. Obviously the shell shape is different and the Pro has the silicone wing accessory. The AK8 uses a 6mm micro driver, whereas the a920bls/Pro uses an 11mm driver.

The Bluetooth chipset, battery life, and magnetic power feature is the same though.

As far as your question about the other AK models, I have no clue. Awe I sure does seem to crank out the models thought. I thought KZ churned them out; Awei puts KZ to shame with the sheer number of models (many seemingly the same or at least extremely similar).

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #3,788 of 31,831
Yeah, after I left that message I was able to do some digging. You’re right they are different. Obviously the shell shape is different and the Pro has the silicone wing accessory. The AK8 uses a 6mm micro driver, whereas the a920bls/Pro uses an 11mm driver.

The Bluetooth chipset, battery life, and magnetic power feature is the same though.

As far as your question about the other AK models, I have no clue. Awe I sure does seem to crank out the models thought. I thought KZ churned them out; Awei puts KZ to shame with the sheer number of models (many seemingly the same or at least extremely similar).

fyi: The AK8 also comes with the silicone wings.

It's true that Awei has a million models as well, but they are the more conservative brand.
They are actually a known brand in Asian streets\shops and their job is to produce nicely packaged, single driver, V-shaped sets that most people would like together with good build quality.

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #3,789 of 31,831

With that in mind:

I recently told a friend I was going to buy him earphones. I got him the KZ ZS5, but it was a very tough choice between that and the KZ ZSE. I'd say go with the ZSE, it's dirt cheap, sounds GREAT, looks good, is solidly built and easy to use. It ticks all the boxes for less than 10 bucks. For another buck you can throw in a pair of foam eartips, which make it sound amazing.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #3,790 of 31,831
...(lots of earphones)

71-100$:

-1more Triple Drivers:

...(lots of earphones)...

I picked these up as a birthday gift for my son who just turned 14. He enjoys listening to music, albeit mostly sourced from YouTube or mp3/iTunes I've added to his Motorola G phone. Prior to the 1more he has been using various $20~$30 buds from the likes of Sony & Philips which he says are fine. Anyone with kids, and especially zombiefied teenagers, know that the life expectancy of electronics with cords attached is short-lived due to breakage or "misplacement". He's been somewhat more careful of late so I figured it would be a good time to introduce him to the first step of using better quality earphones.

I selected the 1more based on reviews I've come across on the interwebs and, to be perfectly honest, was curious to seeing/listening to these myself when I get a chance. I bought them through Amazon for about $120 CDN. I cannot comment on sound quality yet but I will say the packaging for these earphones is superb. To my son these are like a million dollars in quality already. I have to say, when I took my first foray into the (neverending) quest for audio nirvana, I started with Shure E2C which were I believe in the same ballpark of price, maybe a little bit more. If the 1more existed then, or I was starting out now, these would be the ones I'd land on just from packaging/accessories alone. I can provide actual audio feedback if anyone is interested once the boy & I have heard them.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #3,791 of 31,831
I recently told a friend I was going to buy him earphones. I got him the KZ ZS5, but it was a very tough choice between that and the KZ ZSE. I'd say go with the ZSE, it's dirt cheap, sounds GREAT, looks good, is solidly built and easy to use. It ticks all the boxes for less than 10 bucks. For another buck you can throw in a pair of foam eartips, which make it sound amazing.
Thanks for the advice, but in the end I've bought the edr2, because it looked sturdier and more comfortable.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3,792 of 31,831
Thanks for the advice, but in the end I've bought the edr2, because it looked sturdier and more comfortable.

Awesome. Be sure to let us know how you like them once you receive them.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #3,795 of 31,831
Review of the KZ ZS6 now online

Nice review Vidal.

Mine hasn’t arrived yet, but what struck me as surprising from your review was the soundstage compared to the ZS5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back