CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 30, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #24,946 of 31,831
More lows, less treble, so kinda step from that neutral/dry focused tuning towards more "popular" signature

i have a unit coming, can't wait to try it out

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #24,947 of 31,831
Next up: TRN VX. It's on the way! Battle of the hybrids!

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #24,950 of 31,831
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #24,951 of 31,831
Thank you!
Ordered (only ~$15 with shipping to Canada)
That's a perfect impulse shopping, especially on a Canada Day :flag_ca::relaxed::L3000:
Oh yeah, happy Canada Day!

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #24,952 of 31,831
Finally finished my review of the KBEAR TRI i3... took me the longest. I wasn't disappointed, though I wish it had the sparkle and better punch + weight for mid-bass. Even though it's $70 above the budget of this thread, I think it's fair to let everyone know how I feel about them, because I did say that I was amazed by them based on my first (20 minute) impressions. This being said, I appreciate that I took my time with the it, and that I didn't rush in finishing the review but rather took my time to pick out all the details and impressions from the.

Soundstage and imaging are the weapon of the TRI i3, I think few will be able to compete with it. Treble is clean, sub-bass is more prominent than mid-bass, and mids are leaning towards the warmer sound signature. I think the TRI i3 is an IEM more people should pay attention to, I find it far superior to some other IEM's I tried. It all depends on what you are looking for.

For anyone interested in a slightly longer and more detailed review, you can read it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-i3.24171/reviews#item-review-23896

P.S. feedback is always welcome, critics too!

11267885.jpg

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #24,953 of 31,831
Finally finished my review of the KBEAR TRI i3... took me the longest. I wasn't disappointed, though I wish it had the sparkle and better punch + weight for mid-bass. Even though it's $70 above the budget of this thread, I think it's fair to let everyone know how I feel about them, because I did say that I was amazed by them based on my first (20 minute) impressions. This being said, I appreciate that I took my time with the it, and that I didn't rush in finishing the review but rather took my time to pick out all the details and impressions from the.

Soundstage and imaging are the weapon of the TRI i3, I think few will be able to compete with it. Treble is clean, sub-bass is more prominent than mid-bass, and mids are leaning towards the warmer sound signature. I think the TRI i3 is an IEM more people should pay attention to, I find it far superior to some other IEM's I tried. It all depends on what you are looking for.

For anyone interested in a slightly longer and more detailed review, you can read it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-i3.24171/reviews#item-review-23896

P.S. feedback is always welcome, critics too!

11267885.jpg

Excellent review, I'm quite fond of all the KB Ear products I've tried. They make a pretty sweet cable as well :beerchug:

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #24,954 of 31,831
I wonder. Is it currently impossible to make a planar magnetic IEM that sells in the double digit range? I think I've seen exactly one on ear headphone pull that off, the Gold Planar GL400. Or is there just no interest in the market for such thing to research it?

... I also wonder why MMCX is often considered a con, but I assume it requires much tighter tolerances than 2 pin.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #24,955 of 31,831
... I also wonder why MMCX is often considered a con, but I assume it requires much tighter tolerances than 2 pin.

MMCX has always worked great for me. There might be less quality MMCX connectors than what I’ve experienced though, and I think some people are confused and try to lever MMCX off at an angle when it disconnects best with a bit of equal pressure wedging of finger nails on either side of the junction (or a dedicated tool to aid the disconnect, would be nice if companies started including one with the earphones). MMCX has two distinct advantages - no chance of getting the polarity wrong of the connection, and the connector allows a swivel to the wire so with preformed ear hooks you can get a more ideal drape over your ear, so I always have greater comfort with MMCX. Also there’s way less variety in MMCX than there is in 2-pin types, which makes the cables more universal.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #24,956 of 31,831
I wonder. Is it currently impossible to make a planar magnetic IEM that sells in the double digit range? I think I've seen exactly one on ear headphone pull that off, the Gold Planar GL400. Or is there just no interest in the market for such thing to research it?

I've seen Monoprice planars (I think it was the M300) at $100.

In my experience, MMCX generally has shorten lifespan than 2 pin connectors, if you are the kind that frequently disconnects and connects cables on. I generally try to leave a single cable on these MMCX type gear and not change it.

I haven't had an issue with 2 pin type IEMs dying on me so far with frequent disconnecting/connecting, but I had a friend snap off his 2 pin cable and get the pin embedded in the IEM when accidentally knocking it against an object. Some companies try to be clever and use propietiary MMCX connectors, but in general they are quite standard. Whereas 2 pin connectors bring a dizzying amount of variations to the table eg para A/B/C, recessed/protruding, QDC, angled, straight connectors, so aftermarket cables for them is not so straight forward.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #24,957 of 31,831
I've seen Monoprice planars (I think it was the M300) at $100.

In my experience, MMCX generally has shorten lifespan than 2 pin connectors, if you are the kind that frequently disconnects and connects cables on. I generally try to leave a single cable on these MMCX type gear and not change it.

I haven't had an issue with 2 pin type IEMs dying on me so far with frequent disconnecting/connecting, but I had a friend snap off his 2 pin cable and get the pin embedded in the IEM when accidentally knocking it against an object. Some companies try to be clever and use propietiary MMCX connectors, but in general they are quite standard. Whereas 2 pin connectors bring a dizzying amount of variations to the table eg para A/B/C, recessed/protruding, QDC, angled, straight connectors, so aftermarket cables for them is not so straight forward.

Guess we all have different experiences with gear like sound, I’ve actually had to spread pins out more on 2 pin connectors than I’ve had to pinch the center receiver on my MMCX’s and I have far more MMCX than two pins! Then again I baby my stuff and can’t imagine ever bumping a pair so hard as to break a pin off in the socket:hushed: A big plus IMO with MMCX especially with ear guide pre-forms is the ability to rotate the earpiece to get the best fit:wink:

You are also correct in all the 2 pin options/variations, the QDC design on the TFZ is different than most. size and shape of the connector opening are for sure different. I was very glad to see KB Ear make cables with TFZ type QDC. It can take time to get good fitting different 2 pin cables for various iem's but it is fun searching and finding the right fit like my ZS4's (TRN Balanced cable) I do my yard work in because they are still one of the best fitting/sealing iem's for my ears ever plus I can run balanced out my ES100 :beerchug:

Yard Work Rig.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #24,958 of 31,831
Has anyone ever gotten any mmcx (Female) to 2pin (Male) adapters?

I found some but they were all exceedingly expensive. Does anyone know any reasonably priced ones?

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #24,959 of 31,831
Has anyone ever gotten any mmcx (Female) to 2pin (Male) adapters?

I found some but they were all exceedingly expensive. Does anyone know any reasonably priced ones?

Not 2-pin, but I have mmcx to QDC adapters. They work great.

They were like $10. I don’t consider that expensive, but I guess some people may. It’s about the cost of a typical budget cable, so for me it made sense to have a pair.

They look like this:

F8D2E1DC-C468-45F9-8FF8-E4FDCB987A30.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #24,960 of 31,831
Not 2-pin, but I have mmcx to QDC adapters. They work great.

They were like $10. I don’t consider that expensive, but I guess some people may. It’s about the cost of a typical budget cable, so for me it made sense to have a pair.

They look like this:

F8D2E1DC-C468-45F9-8FF8-E4FDCB987A30.jpeg

Quite a smart innovative idea. Does it in any way affect sound quality or resistance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back