BEST Sub-100$ BUDGET EARPHONES - Chi-fi, Obscure brands and impressions sharing-REFERENCE LIST
post-15681387
Post #24,766 of 25,396

TheVortex

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
1. Brand: KBEAR
2. Model: KS2
3. Earphone type: In Ear
4. Impedance: 16Ω
5. Earphone sensitivity: 106dB at 1KHZ 1mW
6. Frequency response range: 20-20KHz
7. Plug Type: 3.5mm
8.Color: Black; Green
9.Whether with cable: Yes
10.Earphone connector: 0.78mm 2Pin
11.Whether with mic: with mic/without mic
12.Whether can use replacement cable: Yes
13.Driver unit: 10mm composite diaphragm(biological diaphragm+PU) dynamic driver+balanced armature

Screenshot_2020-06-16-10-36-00.pngScreenshot_2020-06-16-10-36-05.pngScreenshot_2020-06-16-10-36-09.png
That's the one. I have the black variant on the way and no idea on the ETA.

post-15681395
Post #24,767 of 25,396

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I'm an in betweener for treble. Yep at times I was amazed by the details they can display but 50% of the time it suddenly gets too hot. It helps just a little bit with a coppoer cable and narrow bore tips but I find it just too harsh on treble
This is after 106 hours approx burn in.
Yeah I am treble sensitive and didn't like the upper mids/lower treble on the TRN VX, though I appreciate the good technicalities it brings to the table. Trebleheads will probably like the default TRN VX tuning though.

Thankfully, I found a few ways to tame the upper mids/lower treble, and the TRN VX sounds good for me after these methods:
1) Foam tips/narrow bore tips -> different folks have different ear anatomies and the TRN VX is tip sensitive, so u gotta try it to see what works for you.
2) Warm source with the VX helps
3) EQ - specifically to lower the 2, 4 and 8 kHz areas by around 3 dB helps.
4) Micropore mod -> stick a 2.5 mm x 2.5 mm 3M brand Micropore over the centre of the nozzle mesh. Lowers the upper mids. Don't cover entire mesh if not it will sound muffled!
5) Perhaps if u believe in copper cables taming treble (and ain't a cable skeptic), u can try that too, as the stock cable of the VX isn't the best. But I would think that cable changes to sound signature would be very subtle compared to the above methods. YMMV.

I personally use the TRN VX nowadays with EQ or the micropore mod, but I know some folks will probably find it too troublesome and wanna just listen to an IEM as it is OOTB.

Last edited:
Reactions: lgcubana and kmmbd
post-15681828
Post #24,770 of 25,396

W1ll1eTheP1mp

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi, since i got a pm3 with minimal soundstage i really want to try a IEM/earbud in the opposite direction.
So i am looking after is:

Huge soundstage/ stereoeffect.
Not awfully trebly, rather less than more.

What are recommended?
Budget from 0 to 100usd. Prefer to shop at Aliexpress or Alibaba since shipping to Norway is often absurdly high from amazon/ebay etc.. Can also buy used

Thanks

post-15681835
Post #24,771 of 25,396

W1ll1eTheP1mp

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi, since i got a pm3 with minimal soundstage i really want to try a IEM/earbud in the opposite direction.

What are recommended?
Budget from 0 to 100usd. Prefer to shop at Aliexpress or Alibaba since shipping to Norway is often absurdly high from amazon/ebay etc.. Can also buy used

Thanks
Forgot to say that it will be paired with LG V40 so 50 ohm or higher would be nice since it trigger hi mode

post-15681878
Post #24,772 of 25,396

MrDelicious

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

What are recommended?

Thanks
Moondrop Starfield has probably the most impressive soundstage in that price range that I've heard.

post-15681952
Post #24,773 of 25,396

JEHL

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

What are recommended?

Thanks
I'd be considering the Koss KSC75 before any IEM/earbud myself. I mean at $15 or so can't hurt to at least try it right?

Edit: I think it would also trigger Quad DAC mode since it's rated 60Ω, on the other side... I think this is a US made... Earspeaker? So I guess it would end up with an expensive ship cost, so there's that issue, on top of the fact that because of its earspeaker like setup there's virtually no isolation whatsoever.

But as far as soundstage goes. Well I only tried a predecessor and it had the absolute largest soundstage I ever heard short of an actual surround speaker setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: peskypesky
post-15682135
Post #24,774 of 25,396

brsdrgn

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm new here. I've been reading the forums, topics, review over and over.. but I cannot make my mind about what to choose. I'm in this hobby for many years but recently I've decided to go a little serious so, I purchased dx160 which I read from plenty reviews that the way it plays is quite close what I want. I started this hobby with bass-head IEMs and in time I slightly move forward for more detail, imaging and sound-stage. I've been quite interested in Chi-Fi items for more than a year and I really like that I can buy such good performers with reasonable prices.

Okay, I don't want to take your more time with the introduction :D but I should admit the conversations going here are quite nice and informative and that's the place that I believe that I will find the correct answer. With my new DAP, I've been testing the IEM's and I realized that ZSX plays detailed but not with the correct timbre and wide soundstage. Somehow, Xiaomi's Pro HD(2dd + 1ba) plays really really good with high gain. This guy demands power to show its talents and I see it does a really good job comparing to it's price. However, not as detailed as ZSX. I have FX700 which is the king of smooth bass but it lacks the details that I want and it puts instruments quite close even though it has an open ventilation.

As I already jumped slightly to the upper 50$ range with Chi-Fi IEMs. From the all reviews I've gone through, I couldn't find a Chi-Fi IEM that I really want. So, I've started too look for one which is around 100$. I see Moondrop Starfield is a good option as it seems like the cheaper sibling of KXXS. And then I found BQEYZ Spring 1 but I'm not sure about it's soundstage.

I'm looking for an IEM which has
  • really nice extending bass -not those impactful bass-head like ,
  • slightly forward mids ,
  • really detailed treble with really good soundstage -width and depth,
  • With correct timbre, good imaging and seperation.
I would understand if there's not an exact option for this price but I believe I can find sth close. I'm obsessed with KXXS but it's way above my budget. I don't wanna jump that far and I wanna rise slightly in time. I heard a lot about Blon 03 and I just purchased it out of curiosity today but I know that won't be my main IEM that I will be listening very often.

Could you please give me some ideas what to go for? I would really appreciate that. :)

Last edited:
post-15682229
Post #24,775 of 25,396

IEMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm new here. I've been reading the forums, topics, review over and over.. but I cannot make my mind about what to choose. I'm in this hobby for many years but recently I've decided to go a little serious so, I purchased dx160 which I read from plenty reviews that the way it plays is quite close what I want. I started this hobby with bass-head IEMs and in time I slightly move forward for more detail, imaging and sound-stage. I've been quite interested in Chi-Fi items for more than a year and I really like that I can buy such good performers with reasonable prices.

Okay, I don't want to take your more time with the introduction :D but I should admit the conversations going here are quite nice and informative and that's the place that I believe that I will find the correct answer. With my new DAP, I've been testing the IEM's and I realized that ZSX plays detailed but not with the correct timbre and wide soundstage. Somehow, Xiaomi's Pro HD(2dd + 1ba) plays really really good with high gain. This guy demands power to show its talents and I see it does a really good job comparing to it's price. However, not as detailed as ZSX. I have FX700 which is the king of smooth bass but it lacks the details that I want and it puts instruments quite close even though it has an open ventilation.

As I already jumped slightly to the upper 50$ range with Chi-Fi IEMs. From the all reviews I've gone through, I couldn't find a Chi-Fi IEM that I really want. So, I've started too look for one which is around 100$. I see Moondrop Starfield is a good option as it seems like the cheaper sibling of KXXS. And then I found BQEYZ Spring 1 but I'm not sure about it's soundstage.

I would understand if there's not an exact option for this price but I believe I can find sth close. I'm obsessed with KXXS but it's way above my budget. I don't wanna jump that far and I wanna rise slightly in time. I heard a lot about Blon 03 and I just purchased it out of curiosity today but I know that won't be my main IEM that I will be listening very often.

Could you please give me some ideas what to go for? I would really appreciate that. :)
- Moondrop Starfield or ThieAudio Legacy 3 get my vote.

- If you want a lot of upper mids/treble detail, consider the Tin T4.

post-15682373
Post #24,776 of 25,396

JEHL

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

I don't have the Starfield, but considering how often I see the Starfield being called something among the lines of a worse accessorized, worse presented but cheaper KXXS, Starfield looks like a no brainer to me if you loved the KXXS.

Reactions: brsdrgn
post-15683029
Post #24,777 of 25,396

MrDelicious

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Kind of a disappointing AE sale, eh? Nothing to really jump on really.

post-15683050
Post #24,778 of 25,396

Nimweth

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

If you don't mind a brighter signature, Tin T4 would be a good choice. It fulfils most of your requirements. TRN BA5 and the new CVJ CSN (1DD+5BA) also have similar profiles and may suit you.

Reactions: brsdrgn
post-15683071
Post #24,779 of 25,396

Nimweth

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have an SPC cable on my T4, and I wish I could justify spending the money on a pure silver one, lol. Still trying to find an ideal cable for the FDX1. I'm thinking about getting a quality SPC/OCC mix cable like the Satin Audio Theia. Right now, I just have a cheap copper one on them but it works with the 9038s feeding them.
I use the stock cable on my T4 but have fitted Spiral Dots and feel this makes more difference than switching cables ( I have tried quite a few). Other tips might suit if your ear configuration is different from mine.

Reactions: IEMusic
post-15683081
Post #24,780 of 25,396

brsdrgn

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your quick response. I will keep in mind. :)

I was expecting good discounts on AE because recently they are running a new campaign but it looks like I won't get what I want. So, I will wait a little longer.

Meanwhile, I came across with a local seller who's selling used Fearless Audio s4 for a really good price. I couldn't find many reviews about it but didn't see any negative comment plus BGGAR seems to like it very much. I have a prejudice that ba cannot produce the smooth bass of a dynamic driver but it seems like those guys did a really job by using two ba's for bass frequencies.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 15)