CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #21,376 of 31,831
I just spent some time thinking, and I seem to be leaning towards the V90 and LZ Z05a the most. The LZ Z05A is very much to my liking from what I learned, it doesn't have recessed mids the person I was talking to said it was their favorite sub 100 IEM . I reached a sotre on AE and they offered me to get a free silver coated cable with the V90 and possibility of further cooperation based on the quality of my review. The store which has the LZ Z05A still didn't respond and I doubt it will before the end of the black friday sale. In terms of value, with the V90 I get two cables, and I am not sure how much the silver coated one can affect the quality of sound but it seems nice. It's a great opportunity for me to start an exciting journey, since it would let me try more options when someone is there to support me. At the same time if I went with the LZ Z05A I could be the first one to write an official review here, and spread the word, the store which has the Z05A is well known, and I see that it has well supported the community here. Let me know your opinion and advice here, what do you think?

I want to thank everybody for helping me make the decision, and for your patience with me. I find this community very welcoming and interesting. I got a variety of opinions and recommendations which greatly helped me get an overview of the available options.

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #21,377 of 31,831
I just spent some time thinking, and I seem to be leaning towards the V90 and LZ Z05a the most. The LZ Z05A is very much to my liking from what I learned, it doesn't have recessed mids the person I was talking to said it was their favorite sub 100 IEM . I reached a sotre on AE and they offered me to get a free silver coated cable with the V90 and possibility of further cooperation based on the quality of my review. The store which has the LZ Z05A still didn't respond and I doubt it will before the end of the black friday sale. In terms of value, with the V90 I get two cables, and I am not sure how much the silver coated one can affect the quality of sound but it seems nice. It's a great opportunity for me to start an exciting journey, since it would let me try more options when someone is there to support me. At the same time if I went with the LZ Z05A I could be the first one to write an official review here, and spread the word, the store which has the Z05A is well known, and I see that it has well supported the community here. Let me know your opinion and advice here, what do you think?

I want to thank everybody for helping me make the decision, and for your patience with me. I find this community very welcoming and interesting. I got a variety of opinions and recommendations which greatly helped me get an overview of the available options.
This Community is one of the best on the Internet. Come for the headphones stay for the nice people.

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #21,378 of 31,831
I'm also about to buy CCA12 but cannot work out which connectors they have. It looks like 0.75 hooded: is that QDC? I could still use a straight 0.75 cable but would there be too much vertical height to the post and connector?.....

I would also like confirmation of this. I assume that it is QDC. I also understand that KZ type 3 is exactly the same as QDC, so a cable listed as either of these types would work. Please correct me if I am wrong. I further understand that I'm in the Chi-Fi world, only the BLON BL-03 is a bit different from the standard connectors (QDC/MMCX/.75 2-pin/.78 2-pin), taking a slightly modified QDC with a square (rather than oval) sleeve/post. Again please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #21,379 of 31,831
I would also like confirmation of this. I assume that it is QDC. I also understand that KZ type 3 is exactly the same as QDC, so a cable listed as either of these types would work. Please correct me if I am wrong.

QDC and KZ’s Paragraph C are the same in their shape (oval), but they are wired opposite of one another. In other words, which pin is + and - are one way on all KZs and the opposite way on QDC.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #21,380 of 31,831
I would also like confirmation of this. I assume that it is QDC. I also understand that KZ type 3 is exactly the same as QDC, so a cable listed as either of these types would work. Please correct me if I am wrong. I further understand that I'm in the Chi-Fi world, only the BLON BL-03 is a bit different from the standard connectors (QDC/MMCX/.75 2-pin/.78 2-pin), taking a slightly modified QDC with a square (rather than oval) sleeve/post. Again please correct me if I'm wrong.
CCA 12 use QDC connectors.
Quite a few of aftermarket QDC cables that I got - all worked perfectly well with C12.

P.S. Edited to add that my aftermarket cables are all 2.5 balanced. No problem they. All work.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #21,381 of 31,831
QDC and KZ’s Paragraph C are the same in their shape (oval), but they are wired opposite of one another. In other words, which pin is + and - are one way on all KZs and the opposite way on QDC.
For 4 balanced 16-core QDC-classified cables that I took curiosity to check now - they are all wired the same, and as common 2-pin one (that come labelled). I have only one 8-core 2-pin Y... cable that is wired opposite to its preformed bend. I thought to rebend it, but then decided to keep it as is just in case.

I've edited my comment above that at least all my experience was perfectly fine for the balanced cables.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #21,382 of 31,831
Does it make any sort of sense if i have a pair of recabled mh755s, and yet i want to buy a kz zs5. (I do own the zs7 and a few other kz models)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #21,383 of 31,831
Quick report on FAAEAL Hibiscus:
Hour 1: dry, scratchy, messy soundstage, vocals showed some promise (but too many jarring elements around them). Not enough bass. I’m a bit worried at this point :)
Hour 24: they’ve settled down into a very mid centric presentation that’s strong on vocals and guitars (all the emotion is there), much better sound stage / separation (but not super clear, layering is not the best). Still not enough bass extension, though what’s there is fast and tight. Tone is good though, throughout.
They’re doing well with what I bought them for (“traditional” stuff...Bach cello suites sounding particularly good), which was vocals, and they’re back on burn in, but I think I’d have preferred something with slightly less emphasis on the mids. Hopefully there’s still room for improvement over time, But I think the signature has established itself, for better or worse.

No complaints about the cable though, that thing is fab!
I posted my finding on the Hibiscus, in another thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3033#post-15338018

I did have to inject quite a bit of EQ, to get them into my comfort zone
(Radsone ES100)
Hibiscus EQ.png

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #21,384 of 31,831
While I am disapointed in the Blon BL-03 ( I know sacrilege on this forum) I feel they are kind of muddy sounding. They just don't have enough detail for me. I call bs on crinacle's ideas. I have a 3 gain levels on my DX50 and the higher gain is better with the Blon's. He also has an article about burn in https://crinacle.com/2019/03/03/on-the-record-burn-in/ . I just got a set of **** **** pros. I did not drop a bunch of money. I think they were $26 US. When I first got them I was appalled. They sounded horrible to me. They sounded metallic and shrill with almost no bass. I put them on my source and just let them play for about 20 hours. They were absolutely transformed in that short time. Burn in works for some IEM's for sure.

I found changing cables and putting Spinfits opens up the BLON bl03. In fact it made them cleaner sounding up top. Yes, burn-in for me does work for some sets so MAYBE the dt6P will improve si i won't give up on them yet... would be a waste of 20 quid if i did lol

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #21,385 of 31,831
Does it make any sort of sense if i have a pair of recabled mh755s, and yet i want to buy a kz zs5. (I do own the zs7 and a few other kz models)

I love the ZS5 so i'd say yes. It's a different sound altogether and is only £13. I'd put money on it that the ZS7 is the better earphone tho and looking at what you've got there's probably little point imo

Dec 1, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #21,386 of 31,831

CCA 12 use QDC connectors.
Quite a few of aftermarket QDC cables that I got - all worked perfectly well with C12.

P.S. Edited to add that my aftermarket cables are all 2.5 balanced. No problem they. All work.

For 4 balanced 16-core QDC-classified cables that I took curiosity to check now - they are all wired the same, and as common 2-pin one (that come labelled). I have only one 8-core 2-pin Y... cable that is wired opposite to its preformed bend. I thought to rebend it, but then decided to keep it as is just in case.

I've edited my comment above that at least all my experience was perfectly fine for the balanced cables.

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I'll pick up a NiceHCK 16-3 QDC and maybe a Jcally one too. Can I still use a straight 0.75mm connector on the CCA12?

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #21,387 of 31,831
Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I'll pick up a NiceHCK 16-3 QDC and maybe a Jcally one too. Can I still use a straight 0.75mm connector on the CCA12?
One can use 0.75 connectors.
The connection is fairly tight, so it can be used in everyday operations.
The only minor downside, in a prolonged active use the plastic parts of the IEM connector may be cracking. It happened to me with CCA A10 that I used extensively with straight 0.75 cables and did multiple comparisons (and some heavy use).
The cracks are seen only on close inspection, no functional damage.
So that is my petty story :)

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #21,388 of 31,831
One can use 0.75 connectors.
The connection is fairly tight, so it can be used in everyday operations.
The only minor downside, in a prolonged active use the plastic parts of the IEM connector may be cracking. It happened to me with CCA A10 that I used extensively with straight 0.75 cables and did multiple comparisons (and some heavy use).
The cracks are seen only on close inspection, no functional damage.
So that is my petty story :)

I thought as much. Very grateful for your experience.

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #21,390 of 31,831
It won't. But having a spare is always good.

The V90 is universally well loved so it's hard to imagine you'd be disappointed.
thanks for clarifying. Well I'd agree with you, can't go wrong with an extra cable. It would feel wrong to pass this opportunity for granted, and like you said, it'd be hard for the V90 to disappoint me. The LZ Z05A might be a better option but if a dealer is giving me an opportunity to become a review and a part of this community, I think I should take it.. it could very much let me have more experience and try more models which may well be better than the LZ Z05A.
I love the people here, and the energy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back