CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 18, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #19,336 of 31,831
Looking for some quick suggestion, in the past I tried IEM's and it seemed very uncomfortable for me. Long story short I decided to give it a second try. I order myself some cca c10's. Same stuff even thought I like the sound my left ear hurts, will try some memory foam to see if I get one that fits me well. Any suggestions? It seems that actually the entrance of the ear canal is what hurts.

Any way I really liked the sound of the c10, I own grados and I am very used to that sound. I want to buy a second cheap pair of IEM to complement the c10 with a different sound signature before getting deep into more expensive stuff. I was looking into KZ ZSN, zs4, moondrop crescent, trn v80's, final audio, open to whatever just something that sound different to the c10's. I have been all that looking into what to buy and I cant seem to decide.

I will appreciate any suggestions of something around the $30 mark to give a try?

Don't get KZ if size might be the problem. And use softer tips maybe.

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #19,337 of 31,831
Thank you for the pictures, actually I am looking at the mirror to se if I am putting it correctly. To be honest I think is my left ear that has some differences to my right, I will try with foams of different sizes and some silicon tri flanged. I do not want to give up just yet.

As for the second pair, yes I was thinking about that , the design on the KZ that I am looking to buy and AC 10 are almost exactly the same if not the same. I will look for some other design just to see if that is the problem.

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #19,338 of 31,831
**** is one of my favourite IEMs too. It definitely scales up better for soundstage/details/treble if you use an amp. In fact I liked it so much I bought 2 before the sellers increased the price to today's ~ $27ish USD.

My only small issue with it is that certain orchestral instruments like winds/brass/string instruments may have a slightly inaccurate timbre, as what @citral23 said above. My take is if you are not listening to orchestral or classical pieces, it is a very very capable IEM for the pricepoint, great for other genres like EDM or pop or rock, YMMV. Well most of us that are down this rabbit hole have a stash of different IEMs for different music genres and occasions anyway lol.

Yes that pretty much nails it. I think overhyped is clearly appropriate for that one, if it's a niche that only works with some instruments, and has some qualities for the price "but" (and having weird tonality is not a small "but") I don't think it has anything to do in a BEST thread :)

Maybe look for crescent at that price in straight down fit, that would work for many more people and genres.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #19,339 of 31,831
Yes that pretty much nails it. I think overhyped is clearly appropriate for that one, if it's a niche that only works with some instruments, and has some qualities for the price "but" (and having weird tonality is not a small "but") I don't think it has anything to do in a BEST thread :)

Maybe look for crescent at that price in straight down fit, that would work for many more people and genres.
Yeah, did some comparing with my better phones, and indeed timbre is somehow strange... Works with many genres but orchestral music isn't that enchanting. I still like them though because of that soundstage and separation, with less instrumentally demanding music. :)

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #19,340 of 31,831
Looking for some quick suggestion, in the past I tried IEM's and it seemed very uncomfortable for me. Long story short I decided to give it a second try. I order myself some cca c10's. Same stuff even thought I like the sound my left ear hurts, will try some memory foam to see if I get one that fits me well. Any suggestions? It seems that actually the entrance of the ear canal is what hurts.

Any way I really liked the sound of the c10, I own grados and I am very used to that sound. I want to buy a second cheap pair of IEM to complement the c10 with a different sound signature before getting deep into more expensive stuff. I was looking into KZ ZSN, zs4, moondrop crescent, trn v80's, final audio, open to whatever just something that sound different to the c10's. I have been all that looking into what to buy and I cant seem to decide.

I will appreciate any suggestions of something around the $30 mark to give a try?

If it hurts there's a reason. Angle, tips or ears... what I'd say is, if they continue to hurt, and you don't have an ear infection or something, trust your ears and don't force yourself to use them.

I'm sure there are plenty on here who can give better advice than I can on fitting iems correctly for comfort and seal, and on different tips to try to improve comfort.

You could also try some that are worn down where there is nothing forcing a particular angle, to see if that is more comfortable.

If you find you just plain don't get on with in-ears (I'm not keen, I actually don't like the isolation) there are always old fashioned earbuds. Some good stuff out in recent years - maybe see you here one day...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

The CCA-C10 nozzle is at an odd angle relative to the housing body. Have you tried Spinfit tips?

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #19,341 of 31,831
Yeah, did some comparing with my better phones, and indeed timbre is somehow strange... Works with many genres but orchestral music isn't that enchanting. I still like them though because of that soundstage and separation, with less instrumentally demanding music. :)
For me **** is just good for some very synthetic music (electronics, or some pop), I'd be afraid to recommend it to someone without listening to it. I do not agree that they would have some extra soundstage, because completely lacking the rear vent hole (holes are there only for decoration). If anyone likes them, I wish him, I admit that sometimes I also feel a hint of magic, but they just don't belong to my favorites :)

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #19,342 of 31,831
The CCA-C10 nozzle is at an odd angle relative to the housing body. Have you tried Spinfit tips?
I have not, but will certainly try them. Yesterday I just ordered some different types of amazon to see if something fits.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #19,343 of 31,831
I had to resort to in between sizes on my c10. I usually use M spiral dots, but had to go down to small-medium to get them to seal right without discomfort. It may be an option. Also don't sleep on flip tips. You might be able to flip a tip you already have and get a good result.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #19,344 of 31,831
With the right cable they are quite a looker

I am loving these, i think i should make a comparision with the Kanas. But i just don't bother, i am simply enjoying it because i can't take it out of the ears. Wonderful. Forget about nicehck ep10, these are completely on another league.

Bass is INCREDIBLY dynamic. Decay is natural/slow-ish, but they are wonderful. A lil bit of mid bass bleed. But i am being very critical, i would put these on a higher value than they cost. And they aren't exactly cheap. Stock cable and tips are useless IMO.

They are warm, mid's aren't recessed, the soundstage is above average and they don't offer any sibilance. There is a nice sparkle.

What catches me up most is the airyness and macrodynamics.
20190818_095317.jpg

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #19,345 of 31,831

I am loving these, i think i should make a comparision with the Kanas. But i just don't bother, i am simply enjoying it because i can't take it out of the ears. Wonderful. Forget about nicehck ep10, these are completely on another league.

Bass is INCREDIBLY dynamic. Decay is natural/slow-ish, but they are wonderful. A lil bit of mid bass bleed. But i am being very critical, i would put these on a higher value than they cost. And they aren't exactly cheap. Stock cable and tips are useless IMO.

They are warm, mid's aren't recessed, the soundstage is above average and they don't offer any sibilance. There is a nice sparkle.

For those of us (or just me) that are not well versed in everything IEM, what is the make and model ?

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #19,346 of 31,831
For those of us (or just me) that are not well versed in everything IEM, what is the make and model ?

Sorry, it's the Blon BL-03. Recently launched.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #19,347 of 31,831

i will wait for your comparison with the Kanas

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #19,348 of 31,831

KZ ZSN PRO will fit the bill perfectly! :yum::ok_hand:

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #19,349 of 31,831
Aug 19, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #19,350 of 31,831
What I don't understand about **** is why not release an improved version of the ****. Seems half the other brands release "SD' version or PRO version or "MKII" or "LTD" etc. or just one. It is a cheap phone really with so-so quality control. Not gonna argue about what it does right or wrong except that it is polarizing for sure. A $69 or $79 serious follow with better tuning/QC/drivers would be interesting. **** would seem one of the more obvious candidates for a better follow up model. That one would also be more worthy of the arguments than a now low to mid $20's in-ear. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back