CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 6, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #18,631 of 31,831
Jul 8, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #18,634 of 31,831
I'm really surprised by this as they are the most hyped brands. Did they fail the hype to you?

I'll also admit that I've never tried any of the newer generation KZ products such as the ED16, ZSN or the AS06. Old KZ IEMs FTW (excluding the horrid ZS6) :)

Jul 8, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #18,635 of 31,831
Surprised the Crescent and AKG Samsung that come with their phones is not on this list, they sound better than many IEMs I've tried from this list. BTW, how is decided what stays and what goes on this list?
Any ideas where to find genuine AKG Samsung earphones? Hard to tell which are fake and authentic.

I got a measurement rig that I can measure them once I get them to verify, but hard to tell by looking at the listing as there are so many fakes out there. Below is the genuine AKG earphone that came with Galaxy 8 series.

AKG iem.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #18,636 of 31,831
Any ideas where to find genuine AKG Samsung earphones? Hard to tell which are fake and authentic.

I got a measurement rig that I can measure them once I get them to verify, but hard to tell by looking at the listing as there are so many fakes out there. Below is the genuine AKG earphone that came with Galaxy 8 series.

Wow, seeing the graph confirms what I am hearing. Main complain I've read is that they lack bass, I don't know what those people are listening to cause these hit good and sub-bass is very present, more than No 3 for example, voices feel a tad warmer too. They don't have the same resolution and clarity but the spacious sound and decent soundstage make up for it. For under $10 I haven't heard something better, hell I even prefer them over some of my multi hundred $ IEMs, comfortable, pleasant signature and cheap .

Last pair I've bought was from seller webbuysource on eBay and they were originals. I would try to find some open pack from the Samsung bundle or something like that if not. I also had a fake and I's very obvious from the sound, very muddy. compared to my other 3 gen buds I have. Visually it looked almost identical, the only difference I could tell was the finish on the wire controller, on the original is pretty crisp and the pimple well defined, on the fake the molding is a little more rounded around the edges and the pimple is not as pronounced. Seems like the fake now has rubbery earpiece and correct jack so I don't think the guide from the Samsung site longer applies.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #18,637 of 31,831
Wow, seeing the graph confirms what I am hearing. Main complain I've read is that they lack bass, I don't know what those people are listening to cause these hit good and sub-bass is very present, more than No 3 for example, voices feel a tad warmer too. They don't have the same resolution and clarity but the spacious sound and decent soundstage make up for it. For under $10 I haven't heard something better, hell I even prefer them over some of my multi hundred $ IEMs, comfortable, pleasant signature and cheap .
Might depend on what tips people are using to listen to them. I didn't really like mine with the stock tips all that much. Switched to Final Audio's E-series tips and it made a difference. Never thought I would have like a pair on "throw-in" earphones so much.

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #18,638 of 31,831
Might depend on what tips people are using to listen to them. I didn't really like mine with the stock tips all that much. Switched to Final Audio's E-series tips and it made a difference. Never thought I would have like a pair on "throw-in" earphones so much.

I find that tip choice on most iems to be extremely important. Luckily we have buckets full of them around here to choose from. Often the stock tips are a good choice for me. I think I am fairly easy to fit.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #18,640 of 31,831
I haven't ever purchased any KZ or Tin Audio earphones.

The HiFi BCD X10 really sounds good - but they go quiet as any moisture accumulates, and my set has the L+ and R+ wires swapped at the 3.5mm plug (fortunately the drivers are in-phase).
Due to these issues, I would say that the T180 is probably a better deal.

Well crap, I wish I saw this before ordering the X10, this is the worst problem IMO, take your IEM for a walk and 45 minutes later you're left with no music. Hopefully the Sif or Titan 6 on the same order don't have this problem.

Jul 8, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #18,641 of 31,831

Last pair I've bought was from seller webbuysource on eBay and they were originals. I would try to find some open pack from the Samsung bundle or something like that if not. I also had a fake and I's very obvious from the sound, very muddy. compared to my other 3 gen buds I have. Visually it looked almost identical, the only difference I could tell was the finish on the wire controller, on the original is pretty crisp and the pimple well defined, on the fake the molding is a little more rounded around the edges and the pimple is not as pronounced. Seems like the fake now has rubbery earpiece and correct jack so I don't think the guide from the Samsung site longer applies.
Thanks, I bought 3 sets from that seller just now. I will verify if they are authentic.

I bought a bunch since they are so practical for regular phone talk usage with the mic and sound is pretty good for an earphone with a mic. They do wear out over time and my current one is in bad shape with the housing layer coming off, but still sounds fine. I use it alot when out and about for talking on the phone. I use it as a beater to throw around.

I want to try the newest one that comes with S10, but conceredned about reciving a fake.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #18,642 of 31,831
I will be getting my Final Audio tips soon, and will try it. I think it is tip depends on bass, and some tips don't give a good bass response (although the above measurement is with stock tips, I think perhaps the upper-mids being so high reduces the perception of bass quantity). I tried out MH755 tips, and does seem to tighten the bass response (sounds like there's more bass as result), and tighten the overall response in terms of clarity. I think Sony MH755 tips are good quality tips, but it would be nice if there was also a wider bore offering to it.

Edit: I think Spinfits are the best so far! Bass is much much better. These are definitely worthwhile with Spinfits. Better clarity for better imaging. I will measure with Spinfits and see what the differences are. Make sure to amp it sufficiently for best sound since it's a dynamic driver as usually dynamic drivers make a difference from amping. I don't think Galaxy phones are sufficient amping. For dynamic drivers, bass is what you notice the most from insufficient amping, sounding flabby, less control.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #18,643 of 31,831
I will be getting my Final Audio tips soon, and will try it. I think it is tip depends on bass, and some tips don't give a good bass response (although the above measurement is with stock tips, I think perhaps the upper-mids being so high reduces the perception of bass quantity). I tried out MH755 tips, and does seem to tighten the bass response (sounds like there's more bass as result), and tighten the overall response in terms of clarity. I think Sony MH755 tips are good quality tips, but it would be nice if there was also a wider bore offering to it.

Edit: I think Spinfits are the best so far! Bass is much much better. These are definitely worthwhile with Spinfits. Better clarity for better imaging. I will measure with Spinfits and see what the differences are. Make sure to amp it sufficiently for best sound since it's a dynamic driver as usually dynamic drivers make a difference from amping. I don't think Galaxy phones are sufficient amping.
Basic tips are good but I hate the vacuum they create. When I accidentally pull one side it really hurts.
Can someone recommend good bassy iem with piercing highs? I ended up selling my cca c10, they are good but not enough highs for me. Are banned qt2 good?

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #18,644 of 31,831
Basic tips are good but I hate the vacuum they create. When I accidentally pull one side it really hurts.
Can someone recommend good bassy iem with piercing highs? I ended up selling my cca c10, they are good but not enough highs for me. Are banned qt2 good?
Same here, I think it's because the silicone is thin and adheres easy. With Spinfits and good strong amping, you'd get stronger bass with those. It's the amping that's issue straight out of the Galaxy phone I think (I did measure it with a source that drives the iem strong). If going cheap, I'd recommend Sony MH755 or 750. 755 needs to be recabled or need an extension since it has a short cable originally meant to be plugged to a blue-tooth adapter.

I'd say MH755 pretty strong treble, if you want something on piercing side. Also, the Spinfits does sharpen the treble on the AKG earphone as well. I don't see why you'd want piercing highs? I personally like more relaxed highs.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #18,645 of 31,831

If you open your mouth wide while inserting/removing, it helps. Also, grab the antihelix (ie the outside most part of your ear) with 1 hand and gently ‘stretch’ it, while using the other hand to insert/remove the earphone.

Both of these things temporary increases the diameter and shape of your ear canal. With a combination of those 2 tricks, it should greatly reduce your issues.

It also all but eliminates driver flex.

Finally, you may be using tips that are too large. Try stepping down 1 size of eartip, even if it means using 2 different size eartips. Many people have to use 2 different size eartips (such as 1 M and 1 L), due to slight differences in their ear canals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back