CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 19, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #16,951 of 31,831
I bit the bullet and bought an MP80 from Amazon UK. $52 CAD is the most I've ever spent on IEMs, so I'm hoping the value I get for my money will keep me happy to not buy any new IEMs for a while. Fingers crossed!

I hope it’s good too.

But 1 question. If that’s the most you’ve ever spent, why did you get an earphone none of us have ever seen or heard, no reviews, no reports of how it’s tuned, no idea of quality, no nothing?

I’m not trying to be a jerk; I’m just genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #16,952 of 31,831
I hope it’s good too.

But 1 question. If that’s the most you’ve ever spent, why did you get an earphone none of us have ever seen or heard, no reviews, no reports of how it’s tuned, no idea of quality, no nothing?

It's alright, he's lucked out as they're really good!

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #16,954 of 31,831
Looking good! Interesting that the case would fit the Ruizu A50! I'll have to try it out if my package arrives safe and sound! Hm... do you know if KZ Whirlwind tips fit alright on the MP80? I hear the nozzles of the MP80 are short.

I don't have any more Whirlwinds to try not sure if they might be too loose but the MP80 includes a nice assortment. I put on the Starlines because I always get a seal with them. I

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #16,955 of 31,831
I hope it’s good too.

Haha, I guess one of the biggest factors was the whole pricing thing I was going off about earlier. So, I paid roughly $52 CAD before the likely $10 duties I will have to pay when my package arrives. As mbwilson111 pointed out, Amazon.ca sells the MP80 for around $133 CAD. Monoprice's website sells them for $79.99 USD which translates to roughly $107 CAD before shipping costs. Even if I have to pay the $10 duty at the post office, I am still paying much less with the sale price on Amazon.UK, and with such limited quantities (10 to be exact when I first looked) remaining from a seller whose package would be handled by Amazon UK themselves spurred me closer and closer towards my final decision. Now, I could have gone for the Magaosi K3 (HD Pro) because, as you pointed out, they had similar shells, maaaaybe had a similar sound and were cheaper for you than the MP80 thanks to coupons. When checked online, however, the cheapest option available $149 CAD for the HD Pro and roughly $76.77 CAD (EDIT: for the Pro) (the latter's price being named after the biggest possible discount for me using the AliExpress Coupons I have at the moment).

Also, I suppose the allure of filters Monoprice marketed got to me too. The idea of three IEMs in one for a price is very appealing, and I do own the KZ ED9 so I know that filters can change sound appropriately for different needs if used right. MMCX is always a huge plus for me, too.

Ultimately, I will admit, my choice probably just boils down to how I'm just another one of those teenagers who are in dire need of financial discipline... Chi-Fi has sucked out much more outta what money I make during my studies than I'd like when I could be saving up more for, say, my uni tuition. There were definitely not as many reviews floating around as I'd normally liked so I definitely am gambling pretty hard here, yes. I totally could've just stuck with the **** I've been eyeing for a month now instead; so much cheaper for me with consistent praise for its supposedly neutral sound sig like the awesome Tin HiFI T2, and with MMCX? A very nice thought indeed! As I wrap up typing all of this, I'm thinking maybe that's what I should've done after all. Time to think more I guess lol.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #16,956 of 31,831
Ultimately, I will admit, my choice probably just boils down to how I'm just another one of those teenagers who are in dire need of financial discipline... Chi-Fi has sucked out much more outta what money I make during my studies than I'd like when I could be saving up more for, say, my uni tuition. There were definitely not as many reviews floating around as I'd normally liked so I definitely am gambling pretty hard here, yes. I totally could've just stuck with the **** I've been eyeing for a month now instead; so much cheaper for me with consistent praise for its supposedly neutral sound sig like the awesome Tin HiFI T2, and with MMCX? A very nice thought indeed! As I wrap up typing all of this, I'm thinking maybe that's what I should've done after all. Time to think more I guess lol.

If you ever get into earbuds you'll be happy. You can find awesome sounding buds for under $20. Seriously.

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #16,959 of 31,831
Mar 19, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #16,962 of 31,831
Trying to limit the risk - what would be the best one, just one?

Whatever is in my ears at the time.... sometimes one of the ones that my husband has made for me...

Do you really think there is one answer to your question?

Maybe... this one so you can see if this commonly used shell fits you and if you like buds... it is a starting point that many are familiar with...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...Y-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds/32887565850.html

or, many people have been loving this one lately.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...rplugs-Earbud-Metal-Earphone/32869066191.html

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #16,963 of 31,831
Whatever is in my ears at the time.... sometimes one of the ones that my husband has made for me...

Maybe... this one so you can see if this commonly used shell fits you and if you like buds... it is a starting point that many are familiar with...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...Y-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds/32887565850.html

or, many people have been loving this one lately.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...rplugs-Earbud-Metal-Earphone/32869066191.html
Great, thank you!

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #16,964 of 31,831

That is a great gateway bud-drug recommendation!

Guilty as charged lol

Great, thank you!

She is a wise one! Like mb says, there are sooooo many. But the ones that she pointed out are great recommendations.

See you in the earbuds thread! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back