Best Studio (mixing) closed : K271/272 vs SRH840 vs HD280/380 vs 8.35D
Sep 10, 2009 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

skynetman

New Head-Fier
I narrowed down what are probably the best phones for Studio recording/mixing in noisy environment after 24h continuos
confused_face(1).gif
web reading and searching
ksc75smile.gif

All open were discarded, HD25 is used in studio but is not circumaural.
I discarded also DT770 and ultrasone 550 because of mixed opinions around

What is requested is the right amount of bass to avoid wrong EQ and crystal treble to show even the finest details WITHOUT harshness.
Of course a dedicated amp will be used.

Please explain your vote!!!
L3000.gif

Only vote if you tested at least 2 of them in real life or if you use them at work please! We don't need rumors
rolleyes.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 16
on your list get the akg k271/272

the senns are not neutral and actually pretty lousy in the bass area. the shures i havent heard but be wary as they are the new exciting fad headphone and get recommended for everything.
the beyer mentioned i havent heard but it comes highly recommended for a neutral headphone

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Thx guys!
How can i edit a poll? I need to add DT48 and HFI-580 as it seems they are used by a lot of musicians around the world...
What about the sony MDR-7506? It seems some people use them for mixing too...

Anyway DT48 has only 12dB of noise attenuation compared with 30+ of the other ones of this poll!

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 16
Pass on the 7506. I've plenty of experience with it's twin...the v6. I doubt you will create a balanced mix with those. I think they're used mostly for tracking...or just recreational listening. the mdr-7509 is supposed to be an improvement, which you might want to consider...supposed to be more neutral/balanced.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 16
Acix i am considering 8.35D too, but you say that you use them in mixing only for boom bass check while K701 are the real deal for mixing. Not really the first choice then?

How is it that you are not a german-maestro PR but on your site .: Acix Mastering :. there is a banner linking to their site? Friend of them?
popcorn.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 16
I would add the Ortofon O-One. My brother and I have been comparing it to a booty-load of headphones, and it is far and away the most neutral, the most open-sounding, the clearest, of all the closed conventional designs we've come across. I'm starting to think it is the equal to the ER4S, but with wider, more bloomy bass. I recommend using the leatherette cushions, since the velours decrease the bass and add lift to the top octave. They are made by Ultrasone but are an original driver design and voiced by Ortofon. The O2 are essentially the tone of Cerwin Vega or JBLs strapped to your head...more dj oriented sound. Both are very very impressive first headphones from Ortofon. I have not been impressed by those AKG or Sennheisers for studio due to their lack of neutrality, but don't have experience with the others. The HFI 550 is pretty good, but a touch too warm and euphonic for the mastering phase. They're more appropriate for recreational purposes I think with CDs and moving coil carts. The O-One sounds almost like an electrostatic, with additional bass.

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why no audio-technica ATH-M50s on your list/poll?

Probably because of it's accentuates bass and treble. And yes, I have heard these. Over a long period.

I think this thread i going into a wrong direction. Mixing with headphones only is highly not recommended. Have you done that before? Or do you have monitor and what to use the headphones besides them? What does 'noisy environment' mean?

For recording purposes it really doesn't matter how the headphones sound. It's important that is has a comfortable fit and doesn't leak sound.
It's even better to use a sounded headphone that has a better voice / instrument comprehensibility for example.

And if you really intent on mixing with headphones there is just one thing that can only be made up for with even more of it: experience!
If you really know the characteristics of the headphone and are aware of the difficulties that proper mixing with headphone contains then you can do it with whatever headphone you like!
There is no headphone out there that will make it easier for you. Especially in the price range that you are aiming for. You basically have the literal pick of the litter as all of these headphones have their downsides and typical colorations.

So I suggest you get the one that you think is the most comfortable and just use it. Use it, use it, use it. Get to know it. Mix with it and control on speakers. Listen to music with it that you are used to, especially from listening to speakers.

Lot's of text.
TL;DR: So my voice goes to the M50 as well. It's not better or worse then the other contestants.
But I think it's comfortable, blocks noise pretty well, is sturdy as hell and is a very good tool when it comes to audio reproduction. Yes, it has a little boost in the bass and in the highs. But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, especially while recording.

I don't know the Shure (yet), but the AKG sounds dull, one of the Senns has the extra bass that the other one is missing. They also sound very plastic-y. Hard to describe. And with the GM I found it lacking isolation and comfort. But that's mostly due to the pads, IMO.

Ah crap, I just realized this thread is more then two weeks old.
Never mind.

m00h

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 16
I went for AKG K271 MK2 and with a +2.5dB at 30 Hz they seem to be quite flat to me....
They block a lot of noise too, and paired with mine ibasso D10 sound good with GAIN switch at low position (the sound is a lot worse with gain set to high and volume down).
I think they have a lot of burn in to do, also my old K55 were very dull at the beginning but now they sound better than my new ones (that cost 5 times the old ones).

Thx guys!

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skynetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went for AKG K271 MK2 and with a +2.5dB at 30 Hz they seem to be quite flat to me....
They block a lot of noise too, and paired with mine ibasso D10 sound good with GAIN switch at low position (the sound is a lot worse with gain set to high and volume down).
I think they have a lot of burn in to do, also my old K55 were very dull at the beginning but now they sound better than my new ones (that cost 5 times the old ones).

Thx guys!

I hope with the burn in process the low mids will relax a bit.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back