Best Studio Headphones
Feb 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #166 of 601

I thought the ATH-M50x was, but for look and a detachable cable, exactly the same as the ATH-M50. Isn't it the case? How would you compare it to the MDR-7520? Why do you recommend the ATH-M50x over the MDR-7520?

Not so flat? So what's the FR bias?

Have you tried the K812?

I think the M50 and the M50x are almost identical. But I feel the M50x has slightly powerful low-bass. The MDR-7520 is obviously clearer than the M50x. But the M50x is more comfort and cheaper than the MDR-7520. So I recommend the M50x to the person who want to buy more music instruments and do not want to spend much money for monitoring system. The MDR-7520 is not so flat. Its sound is just like "turning VCF resonance knob to the right". Recently, some audio shops sell K812, but it is too expensive for me (now I want moog Sub37 instead of K812, lol).

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #167 of 601
You can't reach perfection, but you should keep trying.

The Spirit Pro, from all accounts, is very close to ideal, sound-wise. It's just the comfort factor that seems to suck (according to InnerFidelity, Digital Audio Directions, the

Hm, OK. I'll add them to the OP.

You will let the Spirit Pro go? Didn't you say you were going to keep it? Why letting it go? Because you won't need them anymore once you've got a properly sound-treated recording space?

I think he's going for the Sennheiser HD8 (DJs)... :wink:

Right now the fact that I don't need them at the moment and my desire to try new hps that are fun have me leaning towards hd 8 dj big time. Either that or the hope 6. Plus the Yamaha is the only one to have lasted this long...... I GOTS PROBLEMS:triportsad:

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #168 of 601
  I think the M50 and the M50x are almost identical. But I feel the M50x has slightly powerful low-bass. The MDR-7520 is obviously clearer than the M50x. But the M50x is more comfort and cheaper than the MDR-7520. So I recommend the M50x to the person who want to buy more music instruments and do not want to spend much money for monitoring system. The MDR-7520 is not so flat. Its sound is just like "turning VCF resonance knob to the right". Recently, some audio shops sell K812, but it is too expensive for me (now I want moog Sub37 instead of K812, lol).

^me too once I get over a G that is moog territory

peep this video for studio headphones lol.
These are the same as the German maestro gmp 8.35 d but with cheesy letters and said to be used as dj hp's which imo are not good for dj headphones as they are too raw and fatiguing  for that and the bass isnt strong enough though it has reaaaallly good texture down there and is tight and deep. best isolation i have ever had and bought them twice.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #169 of 601
  my guess is that they stuck with what they already had as far as design because they thought it was somewhat successful or because they got good isolation with that design. (over ear doesnt mean best isolation always). And yes the Spirit pro. like it and the yamaha a lot. The pads are more than tolerable for me but by large margins I prefer over ear.

I think they are great for someone who doesnt plan on taking them everywhere to enjoy for hours. The studio isnt like that anyway. There is a different way of using hp's professionally that doesn't demand comfort. You are so focused on studying the sound that you forget about them and you will take them off soon enough anyway.

The hd25 has become a very popular professional tool and it is on ear. It goes to show in the end that to someone who is most concerned about the sounds they are making and adjusting certain things like the small size of pads become a lot less important. 

Trust me I hate the size and want them bigger but I will feel guilty when I let them go once my home studio is finished.

However uncomfortable the Spirit is, it can't be as painful as this old Sony model I'm trying, CD900ST. They're almost on ear! I don't understand it and there's no excuse.

Has anyone tried this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ?

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #170 of 601
Feb 22, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #171 of 601

Let's wait and see! AFAIK they haven't been measured by innerfidelity or someone else who has other comparable graphs of other headphones yet. And in any case, a flat FR is no guarantee of being neutral or good for mixing. The 7506 has one of the flattest FR graphs around, but very few people would claim that they are good for mixing.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #172 of 601
Feb 22, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #173 of 601
Feb 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #176 of 601

The MDR-7520 is not so flat. Its sound is just like "turning VCF resonance knob to the right". 

So there's a ringing peak followed by a cutoff? But where in the FR band?

Recently, some audio shops sell K812

Did you get to try it, then? Or are you talking about online stores?

Recently, some audio shops sell K812, but it is too expensive for me (now I want moog Sub37 instead of K812, lol).

If the K812 is too expensive for you ... so it the Sub 37. 
tongue.gif

Right now the fact that I don't need them at the moment and my desire to try new hps that are fun have me leaning towards hd 8 dj big time.

Shunning the more neutral HD 6 Mix?

Either that or the hope 6. 

They're intriguing. There's a good deal going on them on Amazon.co.uk, right now.

Let's wait and see! AFAIK they haven't been measured by innerfidelity 

Tyll has asked Sony for a pair. Let's hope they answer favorably.

It seems that some manufacturers ideas about how big peoples ears are differs from reality!

Now ain't that the truth....

Tiny french ears.

Except I'm French too. 
angry_face.gif

The Focal Spirit Pro team must have tested their "circumaural" models on their kids.

See? Circumaural!

The Ultrasone Signature Pro is on the list in the original post, but was never mentioned again (unless I missed it).  I'm wondering why that is.

Price, probably. Less people have heard it.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #178 of 601

Let's wait and see! AFAIK they haven't been measured by innerfidelity or someone else who has other comparable graphs of other headphones yet. And in any case, a flat FR is no guarantee of being neutral or good for mixing. The 7506 has one of the flattest FR graphs around, but very few people would claim that they are good for mixing.

school me on that acronym. There are too many online... hard to keep up
confused.gif

ask 
for 
another 
iced
koolaid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back