Best streaming service?
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 31
Hey, so apparently youtube has audio compression but I use it because I don't like downloading my music. But with that being said, what is the best audio streaming service? I was looking at google play unlimited, apparently it has 320 kbps and has a lot of EDM songs, which is what I mainly listen to. What do you guys think?
The 'best' streaming service is the one that's going to make you enjoy more music, more often in my opinion.

Spotify has far and away the best user experience and intelligent recommendations for playlists and artists, based on your listening preference. The fact that lossless is coming (in the near future, presumably), is a plus.

Tidal/Qobuz/Amazon, and now Apple Music will sound 'the best' courtesy of lossless and/or HD playback capability. I use Tidal, somewhat begrudgingly, due to the fact that it was at the time the only lossless option, and it's also integrated into Roon.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 31
The 'best' streaming service is the one that's going to make you enjoy more music, more often in my opinion.

Spotify has far and away the best user experience and intelligent recommendations for playlists and artists, based on your listening preference. The fact that lossless is coming (in the near future, presumably), is a plus.

Tidal/Qobuz/Amazon, and now Apple Music will sound 'the best' courtesy of lossless and/or HD playback capability. I use Tidal, somewhat begrudgingly, due to the fact that it was at the time the only lossless option, and it's also integrated into Roon.
Except tidal is not lossless.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #18 of 31
Except tidal is not lossless.
The hifi tier is FLAC, which is indeed lossless. MQA/Tidal Masters on the other hand is a whole different kettle of fish.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #19 of 31
Here is the list of the best music streaming services:
1) Spotify
2) Apple music
3) Youtube
4) Soundcloud
5) Amazon
All my friends are huge fans of Spotify but prefer Apple music instead. I am curious if someone still uses services like Pandora and Tidal these days or all of you just using spotify? I honestly have it my phone for a long time but never started to use it...
I use Amazon's and so far I'm impressed with the sound and music selection.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 31
The hifi tier is FLAC, which is indeed lossless. MQA/Tidal Masters on the other hand is a whole different kettle of fish.
There was a scandal recently wherein it was discovered HiFi tier is at least in some cases downsampled MQA not lossless:

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 31
Best is YouTube Music, because it comes bundled in the cost of YouTube Premium. Once you have had YouTube premium you will not go back.

(I mostly listen to FLAC local files, so don't require lossless for my streaming service, which is more about convenience in various use-case scenarios like connecting to my bluetooth speaker and not critical listening)

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 31
There was a scandal recently wherein it was discovered HiFi tier is at least in some cases downsampled MQA not lossless:

Yep that does seem to be the case for some records. I find it pretty annoying that I can't choose non-MQA.

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #25 of 31
Used Spotify for years, it still offers the best User experience.

Switched to Tidal in 2018 but might return to Spotify when they launch their lossless program.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #26 of 31
Lossless streaming does work with Apple Music using the lightning to 3.5mm connector and wired headphones/iems. It actually sounds decent if you’re on the go and don’t want to carry a portable DAC.
Unfortunately, the lightning to 3.5mm connector cannot provide enough current for most HiRes IEMs, you will find the IEM cannot be fully driven by that connector, the soundstage is quite narrow.

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #27 of 31
Easily Tidal. I find it to be the best sounding, even comparing it with Qobuz. I do notice difference between sound quality with streaming services. Youtube is the worst. And also, Tidal is known to be lossless FLAC streaming.

If spotify offers lossless and also bit-perfect, then I will at least try Spotify. What Tidal has going for me is probably quality mastering in their library with bit-perfect output. That seems to make the difference.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #28 of 31
Is there a streaming service with a 5 star rating system, or something more than like and dislike? I could live with dislike, like, and love.

Also, any of them have smart playlist? For example, search for Rock with 4 stars (my rating) or better, and it's a dynamic playlist?

Is my only option Plex and Tidal, or Roon (I won't pay for Roon). From what I can tell:
  • Apple Music: Has smart playlist, but only like/dislike
  • Spotify: no rating system
  • Amazon Music: no rating system
  • YouTube Music: Only like/dislike
  • Qobuz: ?
  • Pandora: ?
  • Deezer: ?
  • Tidal: 5 Star and smart playlists with Plex or Roon

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #29 of 31
I really like Deezer HiFi. I think it has great selection and the app works perfectly. Tidal for the life of me crashes all the time on my Windows PC and on my MBA. It drives me bonkers, will be cancelling it this month.

Apple Music is great, $4.99 a month for students, my nephew is lending me the discount.

Apple Music quite good on my Mac but sadly no lossless on Windows.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #30 of 31
Amazon music here, largely for the free trials they give out. Had a 3 month free trial, now on 3 months for £7.99. After that we‘ll see. Actually has a few albums that aren’t on Spotify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back