Best stock sound quality - Sony A7/800 series or Cowon D2?
Jul 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 54
The technical differences between these two players, perceived by ear, are very much forgettable. The tonality of each varies slightly; both sound a touch processed to my ears but in a pleasant manner. No matter which you choose, you won't have any buyer's remorse or regret at not having bought the other, so go for whichever unit is most practical for your needs and has the most appealing features or characteristics.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 54
susieq is one of the resident sony experts. i have the 615 and the 828 and prefer the 828 but im sure it has to do more with its fab looks than anything else but that goes for anything on this forum where anything other than apple sounds good.

other than mad hiss the sony i feel are very very good players

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 54
The A800 (A806/A808) is an earlier version of the A818 that is ATRAC3+ capable. The newer (non-Japanese) ones do not play ATRAC3+, and are not even recognized by SonicStage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it so much that I didn't bother to keep any of the DAC adjustments I played around with, it sounds just fine as it is.

Yeah, after screwing with the DAC and EQ for a week, I wound up going back to the stock settings and a flat EQ, with none of the sound "enhancements" turned on. I found all that just got in the way, and the unmodified sounds best to me.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #21 of 54
Wow this thread has ballooned
tongue.gif

Alright so between the NWZ-A728B, The A829 and A826 which one would be the best?

I'm getting it from here :
sony, ipod, MP4 Players, Apple iPod items at low prices on eBay.com.au

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow this thread has ballooned
tongue.gif

Alright so between the NWZ-A728B, The A829 and A826 which one would be the best?

I'm getting it from here :
sony, ipod, MP4 Players, Apple iPod items at low prices on eBay.com.au

They sound the same - some are just BT enabled. And GeekChic - Tthe S61X series DOES include a radio. And between the A82X series and the S61X/A81X series the SQ is different. That's why many of us have accessed the service mode to get the same sound sig AS the S61X/A81X series. The SQ is wonderful IMO.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by tldoxmf87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah.. I thought D2 was okay
frown.gif

It is - I'm just moving on to a player that has tactile controls and doesn't need constant FW updates. The D2 is amazing - just not for all.

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #27 of 54
Are the bass of the players similar to that of the walkman phones?

Also, the clear bass and clear stereo thing on the walkman mp3s players. Are they merely advertising gimmicks or do they really make a difference with other mp3 players? And the DSEE too do they make much difference between players that do not have that function?

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #28 of 54
As a new Cowon D2 owner it'll surprise you that I'm giving the Sony my vote!!

However I found that my old A806 hissed hell of a lot less than the A826 I recently returned.

Don't get me wrong I still like the D2, I just reckon my old A806 was better built and sounded a lot better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #29 of 54
Since 'm still very happy with my A808 I'm skipping this years models; except for more memory, I don't see how it can be improved enough to justify the expenses, let that be an example to some people here, you know who you are :wink: (also I'm too lazy to rerip my CD's which are currently still in Atrac).

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #30 of 54
With a flat EQ my vote goes for the Sony. I just tried the 616f and compared it do the D2. With the Sony the bass is more prominent with my 25ohm headphones than with the D2. I have not tried an impedance adapter.

However, you can really customize the D2 sound. With a few tweaks to the sound it's arguably better than the Sony, but that is a matter of personal taste. That Cowon actually uses a customized setting when you pull it out of the box, as opposed to Sony using a flat setting, tells me Cowon realizes their flat setting may sound a little dull. Cowon probably knows many people aren't going to choose the Cowon if they are comparing it to some other players in a store and the Cowon shipped with a flat EQ.

If you are talking about sheer volume, my vote goes to the Cowon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back