Best stock sound quality - Sony A7/800 series or Cowon D2?
Aug 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say that the Fuze and the Clip out perform the Sony in SQ?

Can't say they outperform,........ just have a different HIGH QUALITY sound sig. The Sony players are exceptional and have fantastic EQ settings. The clip & Fuze sound best without EQ engaged. Each has it's merits and it's hard to say 1 sounds better than the other. I really would say, especially in this case, that it would be up to the individual to decide. They really all sound spectacular (Sony's vs the clip & Fuze).
The Sony players totally annihilate the E200 series, even if they're RockBoxed.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound the same - some are just BT enabled. And GeekChic - Tthe S61X series DOES include a radio. And between the A82X series and the S61X/A81X series the SQ is different. That's why many of us have accessed the service mode to get the same sound sig AS the S61X/A81X series. The SQ is wonderful IMO.

How can I access the service mode/reset for the sony a829?
Thanks

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by navidf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured out how to enter the service mode, but can you guide me as to what settings you changed to improve SQ, etc.
Thanks

This is the link to the thread that lists the settings. It's not set in stone so play around, just remember your default settings so you can revert if need be: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ul...ttings-340621/
PS: Leave any questions of comments you may have in that thread please.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #51 of 54
i rmaa the recording from the sony player from the touch too. amazing results. it is a great recorder. 8 gb of pure high quality pcm recording is indeed what i bought it for. the hiss is a bit too much and since i have shuffle, i don't need a small player but... it looks pretty.

i cannot wait to get my mic amp plugged in and go to some shows.

edit:
the argument about sq really is more of a personal decision especially on these forums where placebo is very affectively applied to all portable hardwares. the statement that someone brought up about whether you like one for its sound quality or your believe it to be better is very relevant. it is not bad to believe one is better though it is actually not. many people prefer the quality (meaning characteristic) of thd being high: thus, the love of the x5 and the kenwood players which have warm sounding presentations due to abnormally high thd. some are in it for ultimate s/n ratio etc, but most are just in it for a company or not-that-company.

belief has more to do with it than you would believe. like i have mentioned, i came from md camp and hated all forms of mp3 players but mostly the ipod. md players too have large faults in total s/n ratio where the highest ever for a portable unloaded was 88db but that is so high anyway that it should not matter but they were typically below 60 which would be laughable today. however, as i believed them to be so much higher quality playback devices, they were.

product marketting, people's opinions etc do not establish anything but a story or menu. if you want to actually measure sq, you need to first define what sq means to you or somehow get a universal understanding of it and then get precise measurements that are taken with same hardware.

dfkt has a great database that i have taken from my links to show which players are strong in what area. he has about 10 or so players i believe tested with 12-48 to 300 ohm phones, all using rmaa. you can see there the clip, the d2, and many others.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #52 of 54
I would go for the Sony for sound Quality. I've had a few over the years and they are always solid, I never set any EQ or anyhting, because its just a gimmick really. Makes it sound like crap too. But the D2 DOES support flac

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the link to the thread that lists the settings. It's not set in stone so play around, just remember your default settings so you can revert if need be: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ul...ttings-340621/
PS: Leave any questions of comments you may have in that thread please.

Is there any way to access the service menu of the S639?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back