Best SQ IEM around $100
Jul 24, 2009 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

stacik84

New Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to this..so I would really appreciate your help here please!!!!!

I just but the iphone 3gs which came with the apple buds which also includes a mic iPhone Stereo Headset - Apple Store (U.S.)

I recently just found out that Klipsch S4i buds that are a great replacement since it has a microphone... for $100. Image S4i In-Ear Headset with Mic and 3-Button Remote Headphones - Overview

Does anyone recommend the Klipsch S4i?? Is it very similar to the S4?? Should I look into UE super.fi 3?? I generally listen to House..trance..and r/b..rap. Anything with a lot of bass. Any recommendations for good quality buds around $100. Looking for the best SQ in that price range. Thanks for all the help!!!

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 22
hmm... i dont really know about the Klipsch but i can attest that the UE super.fi 3 wont let you down for sure. Based on what you say about house and trance, id say the super.fi 3 is for you. better yet if you can shell out a little extra, go for the UE super.fi 5 EB (extra bass). now thats what you want!

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 22
For your iPhone get a pair of Applie in-ear Dual drivers on ebay for $30-$39, check the thread for more info on those phones. Retail for $79, but a ton of them marked as used (but not) on ebay. So far, I've bought 8 pair for friends and family, and own a pair myself. No need to spend $100, believe me. You might want totry some different tips. It's all in the Apple In-Ear Dual Driver thread.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 22
RE0? on sale for the summer for 99

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 22
Atrio M5/M8 V1 if you can find them in FS section.

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 22
You could go just a bit higher and get the Phonak Audeo PFE (w/mic for your needs) as well. The sound improvements will be worth the extra cost.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 22
The PFEs are $150, and to me, they need an amp (I do like them). It's 50 percent more than the top budget. Why people are recommending non-iPhone IEMs doesn't help, bercause it would require more spending (to get an iPhone cable/adapter).

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 22
S4i sounds identical to the S4 afaik. Another option is the etymotic hf2 if you like the ety sound signature. They're ~$135 on Amazon.com

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PFEs are $150, and to me, they need an amp (I do like them). It's 50 percent more than the top budget. Why people are recommending non-iPhone IEMs doesn't help, bercause it would require more spending (to get an iPhone cable/adapter).

I've felt the same way as you before on how PFE's pretty much required an amp, but having used the PFE's unamped for about two weeks now on my iPhone 3G, my opinions are changed a little. It still sounds better with an amp, but unamped ain't too bad at all either... it's very good, and 3G surprisingly provides plenty of juice and kick to the music on its own (a far cry from my old Touch first gen, which didn't sound good with PFE's unamped at all IMO). It exceeded my expectations as a music player for sure. So it depends on the DAP I guess, and my experience with them unamped for iPhone 3G has been great. Unfortunately, I bought the PFE non mic version before I bought the iPhone so I'm without the mic... I could certainly use it now!

The OP could always look for it lightly used, which should knock down $20-30 or so and make it more affordable. They're popping up more as of late here on the For Sale forum too.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by duanepo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm... i dont really know about the Klipsch but i can attest that the UE super.fi 3 wont let you down for sure. Based on what you say about house and trance, id say the super.fi 3 is for you. better yet if you can shell out a little extra, go for the UE super.fi 5 EB (extra bass). now thats what you want!

The super.fi 3 has great bass when used with the sound level attenuator, but it's most likely not what you're looking for. It's a very tight bass, and you'll probably miss the sub-bass frequencies.

On the other hand, due to a good midrange and treble, synths, even with low frequencies, have a great "bite" to them.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've felt the same way as you before on how PFE's pretty much required an amp, but having used the PFE's unamped for about two weeks now on my iPhone 3G, my opinions are changed a little. It still sounds better with an amp, but unamped ain't too bad at all either... it's very good, and 3G surprisingly provides plenty of juice and kick to the music on its own (a far cry from my old Touch first gen, which didn't sound good with PFE's unamped at all IMO). It exceeded my expectations as a music player for sure. So it depends on the DAP I guess, and my experience with them unamped for iPhone 3G has been great. Unfortunately, I bought the PFE non mic version before I bought the iPhone so I'm without the mic... I could certainly use it now!

The OP could always look for it lightly used, which should knock down $20-30 or so and make it more affordable. They're popping up more as of late here on the For Sale forum too.

Good to know, because the PFEs sounded so underpowered on all my DAPs, which is one reason I sold them (that, and the W3s). I did see a black PFE for the iPhone in the FS forum recently, but it was in Europe.

So they may be a good option after all, if you can find a pair around $100. There are new versions coming out in late August, early Sept, with longer cable, new plastic, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back