Best speakers under $200
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
What do you guys think are the best speaker's under $200? Many of us can't afford to go much higher than that for a pair so here are a few bookshelfs that I've seen that look pretty good, prices range from under $100 to just under 2.

DCM M16S: $90-$200
Infinity Primus 150: $180-$200
Polk Audio R15: $50-$100
Polk Monitor 30L $199
Swans M200: $189

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 17
If value is that important to you, its hard to beat Polk R15s for ~$50. They're pretty decent and will still be better that any boombox or mini HiFi system. Save the rest of the money for future if you want to get audiophile-grade speakers later on. If you really want to spend as much as $200 or so, go used on Audiogon for best deals. Entry-level audiophile speakers start at around $300-500 (IMHO), something like Ascends CBM-170s ($350).

Enjoy!

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 17
The reason why my budget is pretty low is because I only use speakers when I'm too lazy to put my Senns on, which isn't very often
smily_headphones1.gif
, are the R15s decent? Can you still get them for $50?

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
pioneer S-DF2-K iso drive. or acoustic research s40, but tough luck finding it. although the bookshelves version s20, is good too.

Wow, you weren't kidding I can't find anyone who carries those Sr20s or the 40s. The Pioneers have good specs though, but they're a bit ugly
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 17
I have swans m200, and they need more bass. They are only good for classical and jazz, i don't think you'd have a good time listening to rap or techno w/ these.

IMG_2850.jpg

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
You can add a sub though right? By the way I want your monitor!! Is that the 24"?

yeah, that's my dell 2405, it's a pretty neat monitor. All you have to do is buy a HDTV tuner, hook it up through it's component (or composite or dvi) slot and you're ready to go. The good thing is that it supports true HD (1080i) so the picture quality is amazing for the price.

Ooh about the sub thing, I don't know how it would sound w/ the swans. I'm afraid that it might not match well. Right now i'm looking at athena's subs for around $200ish.

A problem with the swans is that i paired them with the EMU 0404 and the volume level is pretty weak, so it's not really something you can bump up.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
yeah, that's my dell 2405, it's a pretty neat monitor. All you have to do is buy a HDTV tuner, hook it up through it's component (or composite or dvi) slot and you're ready to go. The good thing is that it supports true HD (1080i) so the picture quality is amazing for the price.

Ooh about the sub thing, I don't know how it would sound w/ the swans. I'm afraid that it might not match well. Right now i'm looking at athena's subs for around $200ish.

A problem with the swans is that i paired them with the EMU 0404 and the volume level is pretty weak, so it's not really something you can bump up.

BTW..is that your car on the wall paper?

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan

oh..my 24in is a BI#@$ to keep up...you must going through 6 month Nvidia/ATI product cycles to play the latest games in native res....OUCH!! I feel your pain.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
oh..my 24in is a BI#@$ to keep up...you must going through 6 month Nvidia/ATI product cycles to play the latest games in native res....OUCH!! I feel your pain.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I usually dont play games that much, right now i'm playing counter-strike:source (which is a fairly old game) with a 256mb graphics card (ati x600) that came with the computer and it works fine. I usually don't max out on the resolution or use anti-aliasing because I can't afford to do that. As you said, I would have to upgrade every few months.

Ooh about the car thing, that's not my car. I just like porsches. They are like exotic cars that are affordable cause they start at like $45,000. I feel that it's something that is within reach of people if they are willing to give up some luxuries (like audio
icon10.gif
). The one shown is the new Porches Cayman, look it up, it's a great looking car for the price.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Wow, you weren't kidding I can't find anyone who carries those Sr20s or the 40s. The Pioneers have good specs though, but they're a bit ugly
biggrin.gif

they are rated as good as some $300 and $400 speakers.

actaully also if you want to go the active monitor way, and will be listening at clsoe field for the most part. look at the m-audio bx5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back