Best speakers for 600
Jun 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 40
I would check out Magnapan MMG's and Martin Logan Motion 4's. Both have terrific value.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 40
Completely, 100%' subjective. One person's ideal will be another's nightmare. Your room, equipment, music/movie tastes and usage percentage will completely change the requirements. Narrowing it down to "needs bass" helps a bit by eliminating most of the smallest monitors and the small Planars (Magnepan, etc.). Your best value in that range may be used but you are going to need to post a LOT more details.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 40
Yep. Sorry, I didnt read the 'needs bass' part. Neither of my suggestions will give you ample bass without a sub.

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 40

Quote:
Completely, 100%' subjective. One person's ideal will be another's nightmare. Your room, equipment, music/movie tastes and usage percentage will completely change the requirements. Narrowing it down to "needs bass" helps a bit by eliminating most of the smallest monitors and the small Planars (Magnepan, etc.). Your best value in that range may be used but you are going to need to post a LOT more details.

Words of truth.
biggrin.gif

There is no best or worst only different.

The best way is to test different speakers in your setup.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 40
What are you going to use for a source and amplification?  How big is your room?  Any limitations on speaker placement?  How loud do you listen?  What types of music do you mostly listen to?  Would you rather have a speaker that is as accurate as possible or one that is more forgiving? 

There probably is not an absolute "best" but there are certainly are "better" choices depending on taste and context.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 40
I need versatile speakers because i'm probably going to move three times in the next 6 months - year, I only said need bass because people here at head-fi tend to sacrifice bass for the other components I only need bass to sound good and not underwhelming not something that the whole world can feel. what do you feel are the best speakers for 600
Quote:
Mysteek said:

A used pair of Paradigm Studio 20's for bookshelf speakers maybe?

The Paradigms don't seem to be common enough to find used
Quote:
A used pair of Paradigm Studio 20's for bookshelf speakers maybe?

Quote:
I would check out Magnapan MMG's and Martin Logan Motion 4's. Both have terrific value.

The Martin Logans look sey and seem like they got a good review, something to consider

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #11 of 40
New, the best deal I ever saw was Mordaunt Short Avant 908 on sale for $600. A friend with limited space in a San Francisco apt got them and love 'em. They have a good size 12" woofer speaker on the side, and are front-driven so they sound good pushed against a wall if necessary. So there you go, bass and flexibility.

Used, I bought some Wharfedale Evo 20 speakers for about $600 years back. They seem to pop up pretty often on e-Bay and such. Also have nice bass sound for the price.

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
B&W 685's are an excellent value in my experience/opinion.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1281917111&/Bowers-and-Wilkins-685-Book-Sh

Getting good reviews

Quote:
New, the best deal I ever saw was Mordaunt Short Avant 908 on sale for $600. A friend with limited space in a San Francisco apt got them and love 'em. They have a good size 12" woofer speaker on the side, and are front-driven so they sound good pushed against a wall if necessary. So there you go, bass and flexibility.

Used, I bought some Wharfedale Evo 20 speakers for about $600 years back. They seem to pop up pretty often on e-Bay and such. Also have nice bass sound for the price.

One just popped up on ebay, but i'm not sure i want floorspeakers, never had them before though

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 40
Floorstanders will give you the most bass but at each price point for a floorstander there will be a bookshelf monitor that beats the floorstander in all regards except bass extension and quantity.

How low do you need to go? Good bookshelfs will get you down to 40Hz at best. Floorstanders can get you a little below 30Hz.

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 40
Go for a good pair of bookshelves. A used pair of Era Design 5s (or Era DS5.5s) will suit you very well. The Onix Reference 1 MKIIs are also a very good choice -- the lows aren't as strong as the Eras but they have better (IMHO) mids and highs.

These will easily reach 50Hz will bass-light placement (speaker stands, far away from walls) and will approach 40Hz with bass-heavy placement (closer to the walls, on shelves). Very little music save electronic has musical information below 40Hz.

B&W 685 is also a very good choice in this price range (as far as new goes) but are outclassed by the above options from the used market IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back