Best Soundstage? Headphones for Gaming :)
Feb 26, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #31 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by loki993 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean by underdog?? how would I stuff the pad??

I think the K240S is an underdog because around here it does not get much attention, I think it is a great entry to audiophilia at a killer price, with rock solid construction and fantastic comfort to boot.

Basically just add padding between the driver housing and the pad, helps soundstage and comfort by moving the plastic off of your ear.

I am going to put up a mod thread whenever I get out the camera (and get off my ass). I just bought another pair so it will be a step by step for DIY newbies. The K240S is also a pretty simple headphone to mod and replacement parts are cheap andeasily available.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #33 of 179
Quote:

how would those compare the the ath ad700s, which ive been looking for, to no avail, also??

I've never used the ATH-AD700 so I can't give you a sound comparison. You shouldn't have any trouble finding the AKG K240S or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, since they are both currently in production....

but here is where you can buy the Audio Technica : AudioCubes.com : Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #35 of 179
but ive seen and heard about places that have them for 109. newegg had them although theyve been deactivated on the site and buy.com has them for 109 but there out of stock
frown.gif
. I dont really mind paying 150 for them, but if I can save 50 dollars id like to.

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #36 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Headphone should I choose? - [H]ard|Forum

Koss SB40/45 is a silly good gaming can for $30.

When I get home I think I am going to order a pair of these. The Hard Forum review says they sound like a KSC75 with better bass, Plus they have an attached mic. Sounds perfect for gaming.

Thanks for the recommendation spacemanspliff, these sound like they could be the end all for the neverending gaming threads!

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #37 of 179
Quote:

but here is where you can buy the Audio Technica : AudioCubes.com : Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

interesting, all the site that have the ad700s for 109 have them listed as import. any idea what that means?? is there a difference?

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #38 of 179
Quote:

interesting, all the site that have the ad700s for 109 have them listed as import. any idea what that means?? is there a difference?

All of AudioCubes products are imported from Japan. Most of the other sites probably deal with domestic products, and they are importing the Audio-Technicas.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #40 of 179
Having had the opportunity to demo a pair a couple weeks ago at PDXLAN, I'd break the can-mould here and recommend the GX400 from EDGE Acoustics (better known here, I would think, as the Ety ER-4P). They lengthened the cord and added a mic, but they've got crazy high resolution and imaging. Yes, you can hear exactly where the sniper is at with one missed round.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #42 of 179
As noted, they don't have what I would consider to be a massive soundstage, but the imaging is very good. Very important that sound settings be set up for headphones (not surround like some people at the LAN), and the game in question really has to have quality audio coding. Some titles (GRAW2 comes to mind) do, while others (COD4) don't.

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #43 of 179
I've always thought CS 1.6 had detailed audio. Footsteps are a major portion of the game as are grenade sounds and many other audio related things. I agree that with some games (COD4, Halo, CS:S) the headphone hardly matters.

The big thing that would worry me about using Etys for gaming would be the lack of bass. I love it for music, but I really doubt it would have a good sound for games.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #44 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As noted, they don't have what I would consider to be a massive soundstage, but the imaging is very good. Very important that sound settings be set up for headphones (not surround like some people at the LAN), and the game in question really has to have quality audio coding. Some titles (GRAW2 comes to mind) do, while others (COD4) don't.

You couldn't be more wrong with CoD4. Good 3D sound is crucial in CoD4. If i can hear and locate enemy footsteps, i can have a one up on them. Halo 3, while the sound is top notch, enemy footstep locating doesn't help much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back