Best Soundstage? Headphones for Gaming :)
Feb 26, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would stay aways from the Senns for gaming. They muffle things too much.

The Audio Technica line is wonderful for gaming because the bass is still there in the right proportion. Plus, the speed and clarity is there and you would be hard pressed to find faster dynamics outside of the high end AKG (which wouldn't be good for gaming - trust me).

A major advantage of the AT line is that they make some of the BEST closed 'phones on the market in a quality that is very consistant. The A900 would be along the lines of what you are looking for.

If you do want some chest thumping bass, you better look at the DT770. I have heard them through a variety of setups and the clarity is there and the bass is there for gaming. The soundstage is a bit cramped and the speed is not as high. They are Comfy though!

Not really.. The SA5000 is silly fast. I doubt any AKG is faster..Faster is better for gaming.. 'slow' headphones would be like running a power hungry game set on high with a underpowered system.. Slow & choppy.. Headphone wise slower headphones seems to mush things together, making it harder to detect what is what.. With faster cans you can immediately tell what is what.. Ala, 3 sets of foot steps running together..

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #18 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1015 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow these are really solid recommendations. Thank you for that. Plus the fact that your name is Foe-hammer makes me confident that you know games.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't get the name Foe-hammer from Halo (though i know that it is the name of the lady who pilots the pelican in the first Halo). It is the name of Gandalf's sword that he finds in "The Hobbit".

And go with the HFI 780s. They look to be the best all around gaming cans available.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #20 of 179
I guess I should say my music tastes as well. I enjoy the popular stuff. Alternative, Whatever's popular on the Radio, and I listen to a lot of Chinese music as well. Chinese music is very soothing with an emphasis on vocals.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #21 of 179
From what i understand, the HFI 780s are better then the A900s for music too.

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #23 of 179
Quote:

If you don't mind going for an underdog, get an AKG K240S. You can pick them up for $90 on amazon and the are great gaming cans if you stuff the pads (better soundstage).

what do you mean by underdog?? how would I stuff the pad??

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, at only 55 ohms, I recommend the AKG's. Won't break the bank, and you can sell them for damn near what you paid for them if you want to move up.

I don't know how they compare to my K240 Sextetts but I love Sextetts for gaming. The positioning is so good...

The best thing about them is music though... they sound great. If I had to pick one headphone to have for everything, it's the Sextett.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #25 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how they compare to my K240 Sextetts but I love Sextetts for gaming. The positioning is so good...

The best thing about them is music though... they sound great. If I had to pick one headphone to have for everything, it's the Sextett.

I have not heard a sextett, but hope to someday. I have read here that they are becoming increasingly difficult to find for a good price (hmmm... sounds like STAX electrets...). If the OP can find a good sextett, for the right price, I would definitely jump on them, as they would be an easy resell here if he wanted.

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #26 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard a sextett, but hope to someday. I have read here that they are becoming increasingly difficult to find for a good price (hmmm... sounds like STAX electrets...). If the OP can find a good sextett, for the right price, I would definitely jump on them, as they would be an easy resell here if he wanted.

but 600 ohms is difficult to drive..

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1015 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I should say my music tastes as well. I enjoy the popular stuff. Alternative, Whatever's popular on the Radio, and I listen to a lot of Chinese music as well. Chinese music is very soothing with an emphasis on vocals.

I know th AT900's are great for Japanese music...But for Chinese no clue..

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #28 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but 600 ohms is difficult to drive..

Good point, I had a K240M 600Ω and they were slow and muddy unamped, and a CMOY seemed to have almost no effect. I don't think they were sextetts, I believe they were a later model, which from what I have skimmed over here, sound like they aren't that great.

The K240S (at 55Ω) is much easier to drive, and even sounds good out of an iPod unamped.

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #29 of 179
Is there much difference between the Sextetts and the Studio version of the K240s, besides the ohms?

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #30 of 179
If you can find a pair of Sennheiser HD590s (out of production), they make for fantastic gaming headphones. These are not the headphones of choice for hardcore audiophiles, but their sonic signature seems to lend itself to positional audio and gaming. They are easier to drive and more forgiving than the HD600s, but a lot of the fidelity is there.

In BF2 with an X-FI sound card, I could hear the sound of a sniper up in the hills behind me and to my left, spin around, and point myself almost directly at him just by going on sound.

I recently upgraded to a set of HD600s and with respect to my gaming, there are some aspects of the HD590 that I miss. They are also some of the most comfortable headphones ever made, if not the most comfortable.

I think the 590s are probably underrated as gaming headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back