Best Soundstage? Headphones for Gaming :)
Feb 25, 2008 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 179

cooldude1015

Head-Fier
Ok so I admit it, I'm a head-fi junkie. Thanks for helping me making my wallet easier to carry.

So, now the next question is which headphones are best for my gaming hobby? I'm a gamer, so soundstage is an important aspect of headphones because it makes it easier to discern where people are. So far I've tried using my Shure SE530s and I've found that, although the sound is clear, it's soundstage is pretty close. Everything sounds like it's right next to me as is the case with IEMs.

Sooo what do you guys think? My budget is around $300 and I'm probably going to be using these whenever I'm at my computer so they have to be good for music as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and if there are any gamers out there who love their headphones please chime in. I'm not determined to spend $300 and if it's higher, I might be convinced enough to get them anyways.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio technica A900 is excellent for gaming

I would get the AD700 instead if open isn't an issue, better positional audio out of the ad700 for games ...

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by liamlw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get the AD700 instead if open isn't an issue, better positional audio out of the ad700 for games ...

Thanks for the suggestion! I think, however, I should probably get closed ones as I am planning on attending LANs. I have, however, been to only one LAN with friends and there it would have been better to have open headphones because everyone was screaming at the top of their lungs instead of using Ventrilo. haha

It's interesting that both of you note Audio Technica, so far most of the suggestions I have seen have been for the Sennheiser HD555s. I think, however, most people have never had experience with any other audiophile quality headphones. Any other suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Man.. I love having variety, makes things a lot harder to decide. :p

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 179
I had HD555s and upgraded to AD700s.

The difference in games isn't too much. The ad700s have a little bit better positioning though. HD555 also had a 'muddy' like bass compared to ad700s, with explosives/loud guns.

hope that helps

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by liamlw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had HD555s and upgraded to AD700s.

The difference in games isn't too much. The ad700s have a little bit better positioning though. HD555 also had a 'muddy' like bass compared to ad700s, with explosives/loud guns.

hope that helps

Yea it does! Thanks a lot for your input.

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 179
Well if soundstage is your concern, then you generally should be looking at open cans.

The best open headphones for gaming would be the AKG K601s, Beyerdynamic DT880 and AT AD900.

For closed, the Ultrasone HFI-780s would be your best option. Next would be the AT A900s.

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if soundstage is your concern, then you generally should be looking at open cans.

The best open headphones for gaming would be the AKG K601s, Beyerdynamic DT880 and AT AD900.

For closed, the Ultrasone HFI-780s would be your best option. Next would be the AT A900s.

Wow these are really solid recommendations. Thank you for that. Plus the fact that your name is Foe-hammer makes me confident that you know games.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really wish I could get open headphones but since the "study room" in our apartment is in the living room I really can't game in the living room unless it's silent. (My desktop is in the study room...)

I guess that also makes my decision easier in that I get to pick between the AD900s and the HFI-780s. My question is, however, why the relatively new HFI-780s over the A900s? I haven't really been able to find legit reviews on the HFI-780s while the A900s have been out for a while.

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 179
I have the A900's and I think they are great for gaming (music too). Positioning is great I think, and for the price its really hard to go wrong. Personally I would be a bit wary of going too high up the ladder to begin with audio in particular is notorious for diminishing returns

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 179
I would stay aways from the Senns for gaming. They muffle things too much.

The Audio Technica line is wonderful for gaming because the bass is still there in the right proportion. Plus, the speed and clarity is there and you would be hard pressed to find faster dynamics outside of the high end AKG (which wouldn't be good for gaming - trust me).

A major advantage of the AT line is that they make some of the BEST closed 'phones on the market in a quality that is very consistant. The A900 would be along the lines of what you are looking for.

If you do want some chest thumping bass, you better look at the DT770. I have heard them through a variety of setups and the clarity is there and the bass is there for gaming. The soundstage is a bit cramped and the speed is not as high. They are Comfy though!

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 179
I was also wondering about some headphones for gaming. what about grados?? ive heard both ends of the spectrum on them, people say there not good for gaming, bad positioning and people say there great for gaming and have good positioning. any thoughts??

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by loki993 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also wondering about some headphones for gaming. what about grados?? ive heard both ends of the spectrum on them, people say there not good for gaming, bad positioning and people say there great for gaming and have good positioning. any thoughts??

I tried CS:S with the Alessandro MS1, and it was no good at all. Far too forward in their presentation, and not enough bass to be enjoyable (piercing treble and constant gunfire is painfull).

I have not heard the Audio Technica's, but they get good recommendations from many reputable Head-Fi'ers and the price is about right.

If you don't mind going for an underdog, get an AKG K240S. You can pick them up for $90 on amazon and the are great gaming cans if you stuff the pads (better soundstage). Plus they are rugged so you can just toss them in your bag on the way to the LAN, and replace the cable after you roll over it 2354 times whith your chair.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1015 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so I admit it, I'm a head-fi junkie. Thanks for helping me making my wallet easier to carry.

So, now the next question is which headphones are best for my gaming hobby? I'm a gamer, so soundstage is an important aspect of headphones because it makes it easier to discern where people are. So far I've tried using my Shure SE530s and I've found that, although the sound is clear, it's soundstage is pretty close. Everything sounds like it's right next to me as is the case with IEMs.

Sooo what do you guys think? My budget is around $300 and I'm probably going to be using these whenever I'm at my computer so they have to be good for music as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and if there are any gamers out there who love their headphones please chime in. I'm not determined to spend $300 and if it's higher, I might be convinced enough to get them anyways.
biggrin.gif

The HFI 780's seemed to be made for gaming..

Character
The exclusive design of the closed-back HFI-780 is accentuated by the polar-silver colour. The HFI-780 contains all Ultrasone technologies such as S-Logic™ Plus, ULE and safer hearing. The HFI-780 is developed from the studio sector and is distinguished by a frequency response specifically tuned for DVD and gaming. Sophisticated home cineasts and music enthusiasts are overwhelmed by the impressing sound that appears as though you are listening to speakers meters away. Gamers are impressed by the exact sound reproduction, making the gaming world come alive. The low frequency ranges are being risen in order to reach the highest possible synergies with DSP-Systems like DOLBY HEADPHONE™ and Yamaha SILENT CINEMA™.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 179
x2 on the 240s. Very sturdy, and they are 'semi-open' so you get all some isolation, but still have the excellent sound-staging of an open headphone.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1015 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow these are really solid recommendations. Thank you for that. Plus the fact that your name is Foe-hammer makes me confident that you know games.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really wish I could get open headphones but since the "study room" in our apartment is in the living room I really can't game in the living room unless it's silent. (My desktop is in the study room...)

I guess that also makes my decision easier in that I get to pick between the AD900s and the HFI-780s. My question is, however, why the relatively new HFI-780s over the A900s? I haven't really been able to find legit reviews on the HFI-780s while the A900s have been out for a while.

Thanks!

Theres a huge thread on the them in the headphone forum..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back