best sounding unamped headphone?
Jun 29, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, most grados do.

Agree with Grados and the Senn HD 595 too. Also the Shure lineup (E5c, E500) sound great without an amp
600smile.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris719 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Higher impedances are, in general, always easier to drive loads.

For an amplifier, as long as the sensitivity is not outrageously low, it is actually easier to drive a 300 ohm load than a 32 ohm load.

HD650 is pretty good out of a portable really. One of the worst is AKG K701. It has a low impedance and yet requires more voltage due to its lower sensitivity, too.

Wouldn't the DT880 600 ohm be harder to drive then the 250 ohm version?

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Higher impedances are, in general, always easier to drive loads.

For an amplifier, as long as the sensitivity is not outrageously low, it is actually easier to drive a 300 ohm load than a 32 ohm load.

HD650 is pretty good out of a portable really. One of the worst is AKG K701. It has a low impedance and yet requires more voltage due to its lower sensitivity, too.

The 650 works, but only just imo. I can't get enough power from an Ipod for them.

Do you mean that a higher impedance is easier for a device rather than lower impedance which requires more current?

Personally, I nearly always stick an amp in line if possible in order to provide headroom. Lower impedance phones can sound flat and lifeless if there isn't enough power and high impedance just don't get driven loud enough before you are turning the volume up to full. (So distortion on peaks can be an inssue)

However, everything works virtually direct from a portable device but if you want quality (ish) sound, they don't really work that well.

Ian

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #51 of 72
Yeah the higher impedance headphones are easier to drive. However, as you point out, the higher impedances need more voltage which can be problematic if you like to listen loud.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #52 of 72
Grados. When I got my 225's I sold my sr71 because I really did not need it anymore.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Yeah the higher impedance headphones are easier to drive. However, as you point out, the higher impedances need more voltage which can be problematic if you like to listen loud.

I know absolutely nothing about amping. Whenver I come across the word "drive"in this forum, I always define it to myself as "respond". Not sure if that's even right.
blink.gif

Based on my iffy logic and that statement, I'm guessing that lower imp cans don't respond as readily as higher imp cans. For example, you'll see a more prominent difference (besides volume level) when amping a 500+ imp can than when using the same amp with a 32 ohm phone. More soundstage, more instrument separation, imaging, etc.

Totally off?
blink.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #58 of 72
You guys aren't the only ones confused.

I think the key word to keep in mind here is "synergy"... just check if your gear is compatible with each other and don't worry about specs too much because electric variables can change in resistance, but need more voltage, or current...

SYNERGY!

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #59 of 72
Hi y'all.
Here's the truth on the "easiest to drive" headphones without an external amp.

[size=medium]This is not opinion, just the facts Jack![/size]
eggosmile.gif

Let's look first at the typical headphone "jack" in a typical portable player.

Single chip, low voltage, low current output is what you're typically working with. This means that the kind of headphone load that portable player source likes to see will be low impedance and high efficiency type.

The sorts of headphones that will excel with these requirements are as follows;
  1. IEMs: Etymotic ER-6i and ER-4P.
  2. Small cans: Koss PortaPro, Sennheiser PX-100
  3. Medium/full size cans: Sony MDR-7506/V6, BeyerDynamic DT-250-80, Grado SR-60 through SR-225, Sony MDR-CD3000.

There are many other low impedance, high efficiency cans on the market, but the units listed above are the ones I have personal experience with and can personally vouch for their performance with portable gear at their respective price points.

The key thing that you want is LOW IMPEDANCE and HIGH EFFICIENCY.
Efficiency/sensitivity is usually listed in db/mw or db/mv units. The higher, the better.

Example:
  1. Ety ER-4P is listed with an efficiency/sensitivity of 102db @ 100mv with an impedance spec of 27 ohms.
  2. The ER-6i is spec'd 105db @ 100mv @ 16 ohms.
  3. By contrast, the Ety ER-4S is spec'd at 90db @ 100mv @ 100 ohms.
Clearly, by specification, by design, and by practical experience, the ER-4S is not an appropriate device to use with an un-amped portable music player whereas the ER-4P is a perfect fit, and the ER-6i, even better from the standpoint of having good synergy with any portable music player device.

[size=medium]This is opinion:
[/size]The Sony MDR CD-3000s were the best sounding un-amped headphones I've ever heard, and even they got better with the right external head amp.

I hope this helps and removes of the confusion and ambiguity from your un-amped can quandaries.
Cheers!

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do DT770/80's sound like unamped? Is there much improvement when you amp them with say, a Go Vibe 5 or PA2v2?

DT770/80s sound pretty decent unamped, bass still goes pretty deep. When you amp them, the bass has more slam. I usually prefer to have my DT770/80 amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back