Best SOUNDING T.V for under 500$
Jul 14, 2002 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fizzmix

100+ Head-Fier
Hey I'm looking for a new TV for my room, and was wondering what T.V under 500$ has the best sound. The T.V doesn't need to be any bigger than 20 inches though.

Thanks

~!~ FizzmiX ~!~

Jul 15, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 9
99.99% of TVs have poor sound. (in terms of audiophile quality)
Pick a set based on video quality and consider adding a pair of powered speakers to them.
There are many good sounding units made for computer use that would work well with a small set with audio outs.
(and they are all shielded for video use)

For example:

Something like this would blow away most TV's speakers and they are less than $70 US.

Jul 15, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 9
or get a tv with variable output r/l rca jacks so you can plug your headphone amp into it..
evil_smiley.gif

although, my sony tv has speakers hanging off the side (oh they suck, by the way) but they are standard speakers connected via standard speaker wire and the tv has some sort of amplifier built in for them. i would easily think about switching them out and seeing if that made any kind of difference whatsoever.. ah, nevermind. it'd still sound like ****.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Get a tv that has bass and treble adjust controls.

I had this old tv from '84 that had the best sounding speakers i ever heard in my life...really sweet, smooth sound, too bad it kept breaking down.

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 9
the 20 inch screen size is a limitation,small TV-small speakers.But in General the Toshibas have pretty decent sound as do Protons.The best I ever had from a small TV was a 20 inch Zenith when they were still made in the USA.Incredible for a TV.Of course there werer the 'pre stereo' console television of years past with tube amps and multiwayspeaker systems.

Having said that,why not just add a vcr for the audio feed to a modest amp/spkr set up ?
Would blow away ANY internal TV sound system

Jul 18, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, I agree. Worry about the picture quality that suits you best, and add a high-fi VCR, receiver, and speakers later.
For some reason, I almost never like the remote that comes with the television that I buy, so I buy a seperate programable, learning one. I always wrap it in clear tape so it never gets dirty. My friends think I'm nuts.
There are a lot of nice televisions on the market in your price range. Do a little research, and buy the one you like the best.
One thing is for sure, too bad Mitsubishi doesn't make tubes anymore.

Aug 4, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 9
When I was looking for TVs about 2 or 3 years ago, Samsung had a model with the best internal sound by far. The box was about 65% screen and 30% sepakers. It was a 27" model I think, and was very fairly priced.

I didn't get it because I didn't think the picture quality was all that it should have been, but it was a tough call because the set was to go in the bedroom where my wife will not tolerate, I wouldn't prefer, a separate audio setup for the TV.

Aug 5, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
or get a tv with variable output r/l rca jacks so you can plug your headphone amp into it..
evil_smiley.gif

Good idea, except you don't want variable output RCA jacks; you want line-level (line out) RCA jacks.

As others mentioned, though, just find a TV that has a great picture, then get a VCR with good audio output; in addition to better sound, you'll also get better reception (if you don't have cable) and better channel isolation (if you have cable), since even a cheap VCR tends to have a better tuner than most TVs.

Aug 5, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 9
Best bang for the buck to me is Philips stuff. I like their vcrs, although cheap, and their tv's give great sound and video for the price.

I bought a 19 or 20" Philips for my bedroom and I am very happy with it.

Make sure whatever you buy has video and audio line level inputs.

I think I got mine for about $180 at Best Buy. My only other considerations were Sony and Panasonic.

The worst experience was getting my living room TV. A 32" Sony now, which needed repair from day one, but worked after finding a good shop. Why did I stick with this sony? Because I went through three Protons in two weeks. All defective. Never again
tongue.gif

But the best picture I have ever seen was the high end Proton.
Put Sony to shame. Magnavox is also Philips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back