Best sounding "old model" mp3 player
Sep 16, 2012 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

redkop

New Head-Fier
I am wondering what "old" model mp3 player people would recommend for SQ.
I am looking at Iriver H340 but would like any input from you guys.
Don't care what it looks like or even amount of storage,just want good SQ mp3 player that can be got secondhand.
Many Thanks

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I am wondering what "old" model mp3 player people would recommend for SQ.
I am looking at Iriver H340 but would like any input from you guys.
Don't care what it looks like or even amount of storage,just want good SQ mp3 player that can be got secondhand.
Many Thanks

If anyone would know, it would be this fellow....http://www.head-fi.org/u/148426/danneq

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

If anyone would know, it would be this fellow....http://www.head-fi.org/u/148426/danneq

Haha!

Thanks, Archmedisdead. Well, I haven't heard the iRiver H3x0, Cowon X5 and Rio Karma. I did win a Cowon X5 on Swedish Ebay affiliate site Tradera yesterday, it came together with a pair of AKG K518DJ headphones and I got it for around $75. A pretty good deal considering the seller recently replaced the battery. I'm trying to find a Rio Karma as well, but they are difficult to find and if you find them they are either defective or very expensive...

To the original poster, I've got an iRiver H120. I put Rockbox on it and it sounds pretty amazing. I don't know if iRiver managed to keep the SQ on the H3x0 series, but I've not read anything about them sounding worse. It just seems to be an updated version of the H1x0 series with a color screen.

Here's an old comparison that I found:
http://phonephile.blogspot.se/2005/08/iaudio-x5-vs-iriver-h320.html

And the thread here where people discuss it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/129918/iaudio-x5-vs-iriver-h320-brief-summary

About other old DAP's:

Creative Zen Touch: sounds pretty good, MUCH better than the current Creative DAP's, and it's very easy to replace the HDD with a CF card.
Creative Zen Vision M: Slightly less dynamic sound than the Touch but much better UI and pretty good for video with its 2,5" screen. Also very easy to mod yourself.
Samsung YH-J70: You can find this very cheap since it's not really well known. It sounds really good and has got a 9 band custom EQ. However the database for ID3 tags isn't very good and playlists don't work well.
Sony HD5: Sound pretty good, but if you use MP3 you won't be able to use the custom EQ to full effect. For that, you need to use Sony's own ATRAC codec. You also need Sony's Soundstage software to transfer music.
Kenwood HD20GA7: These are very difficult to find outside of Japan. I bought mine while living there in 2010. It's popular among Japanese as well and I had to pay close to 20.000 yen. The 30GB HD30GB9 is an updated model with supposedly better sound. Custom EQ isn't very good but pre sets are good and overall the Kenwood sounds great. You need Kenwood's Kenwood Media Application to transfer music and update the database.

Anyway, I think that an iRiver H340 might be a good choice. If it sounds the same as the H120 I'd definitely recommend you to get one! It's easy to use and if you install Rockbox you can just drag and drop (perhaps it works in the original firmware as well, I haven't tried mine...)

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your input,I will be keeping an eye out for the H340 and H120 and will add rockbox to it.
But will also keep a lookout for the others you mentioned,I just can't stop buying DAP's especially older models,so I need to limit what I am looking for 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks again guys.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 5
old thread, but found this because I'm giving my old zen vision:M 60GB a listen. It has a completely dead battery, but still runs off a sony 5V adapter fine. I used to rock it with the Shure E500 back in the day (which I also just gave a whirl). Trying out the CA Andromeda's on it and you know what... it sounds pretty good! LOL

Not bad for something I just found lying around. Now to put it up agains my AK100ii. I suspect the AK will have a  much more lean sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back