Best sounding headphone without amp
Sep 3, 2003 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

faivecr

New Head-Fier
Hello. I have a Sony DFJ401 portable cd player. Also a pair of Radio Shack titanium headphones (sound much better than I expected from Radio Shack) and a pair or Bose Triport headphones I just bought yesterday (I am still in the burn in period with those but there isn´t a night and day difference with the Radio Shack ones)

I want to have the BEST SOUNDING hands off pair of headphones to use with that portable unit WITHOUT adding any external or additional amplifier. I know there are many excelent sounding headphones but for them to deliver their excellent sound you need to have and external amplifier.

I have read that the two best headphones for what I am looking for (the best possible sound without amp) are the Grado SR-60 and the Sennheiser HD 497. If that´s true or are there any more options?

Between those two headphones, will one will you choose for the better sounding without external amplification?

Will any of those headphones sound better (night and day difference) than my Bose Triport?

Thank you very much for all your help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 22
First of all, the Bose Triports are quite possibly the worst headphones on the planet, other than cheap $5-20 sonys, so anything will sound better than them. You didn't name a price, which would be very helpful. Most people would say the best headphones without an amp are the RS-1's. Give more preferences, and everyone will be able to help better.

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 22
OK thank you very much. I will be more specific. Oh, and BIG BIG MISTAKE: I meant to say HD 497 not HD 470!

1. Money is not a matter;
2. They need to deliver the best possible sound without any external amplification using a pcdp like the Sony FJ401.

Thank you very much!

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 22
If money is no object, then Grado RS-1/Alessandro Music Series Professional will do the job. For a less upfront presentation, Sony MDR-CD3000. I cant speak for the Sony MDR-R10.
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 22
Oh sorry again, what was I thinking I was? Donald Trump? I´m sorry to say that my budget is limited to $200 or so for the headphones. So that is why checking features and price at headroom I am stucked between the Grado SR-60 and the Senn HD 497. I don´t know wich of these two or is there is a third contender?

About portability/weight I won´t be using them for doing sports or running or something like that, just using then at bed or in a car or similar enviroments. I don´t want ultra portability nor do I want something so stubborn that I couldnt use them for more than half and hour!

My goal is the best possible sound, now limited to something like $200 and without any external amplifier.

Thanl you much.

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 22
200 bucks gets you grado 225s. i think you'd be quite happy with them. if not i would reccomend koss portapros, which i just love to death and i find a steal at 50 bucks.

then again, it could also help if we knew what kind of music you like or what bands you're a fan of. 225s are more rock. portapros are more techno and hip-hop.

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 22
*broken record alert* Under $200 if portability isn't an issue the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 could be the best option. Easily driven, sounds pretty good for any genre of music. They're closed which means you get sound isolation as well, so you can use them virtually anywhere. These are HUGE though.

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 22
At HEADROOM the say about the Grado SR225 "...Combining definition and detail with a tight bass, they render music with good, clean punch! The SR225 can work with a portable player, but we recommend use with an amp...".

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by faivecr
At HEADROOM the say about the Grado SR225 "...Combining definition and detail with a tight bass, they render music with good, clean punch! The SR225 can work with a portable player, but we recommend use with an amp...".

It's in Headroom's best interest to sell you an amp.

Sep 3, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 22
Unamped, my $70 D66 sounded better than my SR225. With an amp, it's a whole different story. After I applied my Meta the lows exploded and the Grado slam took over my ears. they also sounded less bright (because bass was now actually there.)

If you plan on never getting an amp, I recommend something not as amp dependant.

Sep 3, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 22
If you are so inclined, $220.00 will get you some Etymotic 4P, which I use when traveling with a Sony CDP. The sound it really good and worth considering. There has been a thread here in the last couple of days about a source for these that ships overnight for the price noted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back