best sounding compact upgrade cans over my sony mdr-a10 headphones?
Nov 21, 2011 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

abby normal

New Head-Fier
i just got my first mp3-player, and found that it has an anemic amp that cannot properly drive my sennheiser ovation hd560s [plus the senns are very bulky and not suitable for travelling], so i searched through my odds and ends drawer for a pair of cans that were more sensitive and found an old pair of sony mdr-a10 "turbo" phones orphaned from a long-busted walkman, so i plugged 'em in and they were very sensitive, getting adequately loud with the volume at just 12-14 on a 30 scale. the sennheisers barely produced the same sound pressure level at 30. the problem with the sony cans is that they are very colored-sounding, and they have little bass below about 100 cycles. their plusses are that they are very lightweight and fit well and comfortably and securely in my ear canals without falling out [like the cheapo earbuds that came with the player would keep doing]. so i guess i'm trying to say that i'm looking for a replacement pair of cans that sound more like the sennheisers but are nice and lightweight and compact and EFFICIENT/SENSITIVE like the sony cans.
thanx in advance for any replies
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 11
well, as long as they are not the kind that go in the ear canal [those always fall out of my ears] i can handle 'em. how are the 100s on deep bass? i have lots of pipe organ recordings and i need my bottom octave.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 11
It's 2014, and I'm looking for something for my sister.  Her ears aren't spoiled yet, but I know she'll workout more with a great sounding pair of headphones.  When she used my UE Triple-Fi 10's, they hurt her ears, but she loved the sound.  So, earbuds are out!  On the ear makes her ears too hot.  Sony or someone has figure this out because they are charging $129.99 for these headphones now on Amazon.  

I don't see anything, but I know if a company would put a good driver in the ear clip of this Walkman/Discman design, the running community would love it.  Plus, we (the running community) really need to use open headphones to hear our surroundings.   

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 11
I know sony makes a newer version along similar lines but instead of having the sideways sound disc on each side there is that disc but turned inwards towards the ear canal, it feeds into a backwards horn with the small end inserted into the ear canal. the bass is a lot stronger but the treble is weaker, the opposite of the original a10 design. they are good for casual music or news/sports. they do stay in the ear very well and are reasonably comfortable.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 11
  i just got my first mp3-player, and found that it has an anemic amp that cannot properly drive my sennheiser ovation hd560s [plus the senns are very bulky and not suitable for travelling], so i searched through my odds and ends drawer for a pair of cans that were more sensitive and found an old pair of sony mdr-a10 "turbo" phones orphaned from a long-busted walkman, so i plugged 'em in and they were very sensitive, getting adequately loud with the volume at just 12-14 on a 30 scale. the sennheisers barely produced the same sound pressure level at 30. the problem with the sony cans is that they are very colored-sounding, and they have little bass below about 100 cycles. their plusses are that they are very lightweight and fit well and comfortably and securely in my ear canals without falling out [like the cheapo earbuds that came with the player would keep doing]. so i guess i'm trying to say that i'm looking for a replacement pair of cans that sound more like the sennheisers but are nice and lightweight and compact and EFFICIENT/SENSITIVE like the sony cans.
thanx in advance for any replies
smile.gif

Narmoo S1 or Carbo Tenore.
If you want to go higher, DN-1000 or DN-2000. But those are heavy IEMs.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 11

the problem with those is they are made for people with little ears. something like that would never stay in my ear canals, they would fall out immediately and I'd have to hold them in with my hands. that is what I don't like about ear buds.

Check the DN-1000 and DN-2000 then... they are for big ears canal only.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 11

Check the DN-1000 and DN-2000 then... they are for big ears canal only.

their basic design [have tried similar from other makes] makes them very unstable in my ears, IOW they fall out unless I stay perfectly still. the only cans that work are held on my head with either an around the ear loop or an over the head brace.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 11

their basic design [have tried similar from other makes] makes them very unstable in my ears, IOW they fall out unless I stay perfectly still. the only cans that work are held on my head with either an around the ear loop or an over the head brace.

Even when you wear it over the ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back