Best soundcard/amp to pair with AKG Q 701 for hearing directional sounds?
May 25, 2015 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Smiped

Head-Fier
Hi I am a complete noob when it comes to audiophile. But I am also wondering what soundcard should I get if I am using an AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones Headphone for directional hearing for a FPS game like CS: GO on PC. I am playing on my laptop so I don't know if sound cards are compatible with laptops. Or should I get an amp for my laptop? Please recommend me a soundcard/amp for my AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones Headphone/laptop setup for the best directional hearing (footsteps, etc)

May 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 10
Creative and Asus both make external sound cards with directly sound.

However, your Q701s are a bit difficult to drive, so you might want one of their sound cards and a headphone amp for best sound, depending on the specific sound card and how loud you listen.

What is your budget?

May 25, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 10
iFI iCan Nano has a 3D holographic setting that apparently sounds very natural, I have the iCan Micro which is the bigger version, the 3D setting on it is also very natural sounding. 

May 25, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Creative and Asus both make external sound cards with directly sound.

However, your Q701s are a bit difficult to drive, so you might want one of their sound cards and a headphone amp for best sound, depending on the specific sound card and how loud you listen.

What is your budget?

FYI, I am playing on a laptop so I might need a sound card that can connect via USB. But my budget can be $300.

May 25, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 10
FYI, I am playing on a laptop so I might need a sound card that can connect via USB. But my budget can be $300.

Creative and Asus both make USB soundcards for under $100. If you get one that also has optical (spdif) output, if you decide it's not driving your headphones well enough, you could always get an external DAC/amp like the Creative E5. The USB soundcard would provide the virtual surround processing.

May 25, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 10
CS:GO has broken 5.1 surround. IME, I've gotten the best results with just a clean DAC/amp on 'Headphone' mode with my Q701's. (Audio-GD NFB-15 would be great for you, I use a NFB-28 and the extra warmth of the WM8741 chips is supposed to pair great with those headphones).

May 26, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 10
CS:GO has broken 5.1 surround. IME, I've gotten the best results with just a clean DAC/amp on 'Headphone' mode with my Q701's. (Audio-GD NFB-15 would be great for you, I use a NFB-28 and the extra warmth of the WM8741 chips is supposed to pair great with those headphones).

Well, and the Q701s do have a very nice big soundstage all on their own. I'm sure an NFB-15 would sound quite good with them for gaming :)

May 26, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 10
Creative and Asus both make USB soundcards for under $100. If you get one that also has optical (spdif) output, if you decide it's not driving your headphones well enough, you could always get an external DAC/amp like the Creative E5. The USB soundcard would provide the virtual surround processing.

Yeah, I just searched and found the ASUS Xonar U3 soundcard. Do you think this is good to pair up with my AKG 701 for gaming positional audio? Also can I qualify this as my soundcard/amp all in one for gaming so I wouldn't need anything else?

I've looked into those products and they seem fairly hard to get.

May 26, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, I just searched and found the ASUS Xonar U3 soundcard. Do you think this is good to pair up with my AKG 701 for gaming positional audio? Also can I qualify this as my soundcard/amp all in one for gaming so I wouldn't need anything else?

I do not know for sure, but I would suspect it might not have enough power for the 701.

I've looked into those products and they seem fairly hard to get.

You order directly from Audio-GD. That's what those of us who have their products did :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back