Best sound: iAudio v ipod nano v zune v blackberry
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dnewhous

Head-Fier
I started this thread because I was thinking of getting a smartphone instead of a portable player (the only portable player I currently own is an old Sony CD player).

I am a fan of high quality sound though I certainly wouldn't call myself an audiophile. Does using a Blackberry (a modern model with a micro SD card) sacrifice much or anything in terms of sound quality?

And no, I am not interested in getting a headphone amp to use with my portable player.

If I got a smartphone, it would definitely be a Blackberry.

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnewhous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a fan of high quality sound though I certainly wouldn't call myself an audiophile. Does using a Blackberry (a modern model with a micro SD card) sacrifice much or anything in terms of sound quality?

The only phones that will have good quality outputs (and I mean just good, not great) are the ones that are mp3 player/phone hybrids. i.e. iPhone, some of the Sony Ericsson phones, etc.

I own a Blackberry Curve and found the headphone out unbearably bad. There are huge improvements in even some of the cheapest dedicated mp3 players, you can get something tiny and cheap (>$50 new) like the iPod shuffle or Sansa Clip (which has great SQ btw)

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 6
Price is not the issue. Convenience is the issue. The proliferation of portable electronic devices in the 21st century reminds me of the opening scene of "I'm Gonna get You Sucka" where someone has died of "OG" - too many gold chains.

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 6
newhous, I sympathise with your need for convenience though I myself have never favored convergence where music is concerned - my policy has been to buy a dirt cheap phone and then the best MP3 player/ IEM that I can afford.

To answer your question, I have heard the music o/p from a colleague's Blackberry and was not too happy with it, like taso. I found the sound very tinny and lacking in even the most basic level of bass though I'm no basshead.

Smart phones in general are made for business application and compromise on the music player ability. I have been surprised that the quality of some music phones (Nokia N73 music edition and N95, Sony walkman) are quite decent - definitely better than the Blackberry. I don't mention the IPhone because it is clearly in a class by itself - it has the heart and soul of a music player, more than a phone.

If you are indeed set on the Blackberry which is otherwise a great business phone then go for it! If the SQ is not to your taste, you can always invest in a really cheap Clip.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 6
heh, that's a good decision - if the music quality is the priority.

But if you still need the Blackberry functionality, then as the earlier poster suggested, get it + a 4 GB Sansa clip - not only is it dirt cheap, and decent sounding, it's also really tiny. You won't feel you're carrying anything extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back