Best sound card for ~70$
Jun 17, 2005 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

imported_S_S

New Head-Fier
Well, I'm looking for a new sound card for use with my Altec Lansing MX5021 (2.1), I mostly listen to music(90%), and I've heared that Creative sound card are better for games and movies, and that there are better sound cards for music.
Supporting surround is not a must, but certainly is a nice bonus.
I'd also like to be able to connect an amp (I'm buying a bass guitar soon), and record music I'm playing with a line-in, but that's the software, isn't it?
I can pay up to 100$, but please stay around the 70$, because i'm saving up for a bass+amp.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Try to find the E-MU 0404 on sale. I've seen it for sale at $79 sometimes at CompUSA, or buy it online.

Given that you play music 90% of the time, this is really the best way to go.

As far as using the inputs, your going to have to put a little effort into using the powerful software if you want to take full advantage of it. But the 0404 will give you probably better recordings of your bass than most soundcards, since it's designed to be a budget recording card first, just the high quality outputs is a nice bonus for people who love sound quality without breaking their wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Joe

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 9
I got an Audigy LS for $70 exacly but I support the Emu more. The LS I don't know if they continue selling it, though. I would have gotten a M-Audio Revolution 5.1 for $100, though.

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Help
I got an Audigy LS for $70 exacly but I support the Emu more. The LS I don't know if they continue selling it, though. I would have gotten a M-Audio Revolution 5.1 for $100, though.

Revo 5.1 for $100?? Where do you buy your gear?

Revo 5.1 can be had for $80 or under, easily.

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 9
There's also the Chaintech AV710. It appears to be a great cheap 7.1 option, but it you have a DAC or a reciever that sports an optical input for PCM signals, it's absolutely killer for 2 channel stereo. For $25(newegg), it trounced my old soundcard's(Creative SBLive 5.1) coaxial digital output- it had better dynamic range, a MUCH lower noise floor, among all kinds of other praises. It also has great analog outs/ins, but I've not gotten into them yet. I will when I need to have WAV recordings from stuff.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidelity
Where did you get that Teac Tripath amp from and how much did it cost you?

I ordered it from jr.com but they don't stock it anymore.

Teac discontinued it because it was selling so well, basically releasing an amp into the market marketed as a "surround amp" that cost so cheap with such high sound quality was making people buy it instead of their "real" stereo-multichanel marketed amps.

I hear that needledoctor.com is one of the last places on the net you can order them. It cost me $108 after shipping UPS ground, needledoctor has some cheap ground shipping too I believe.

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc....t.A/id.2206/.f
I would order over the phone, make sure they still have them in stock!

Best of luck!

-Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back