Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Feb 13, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #1,021 of 5,166
Hi

I have an old Honor 6 that I need to change because the battery is dying, and a dap, a Sony NWZ-ZX1, that I use occasionally.
I think going into an audiophile smartphone could be a good idea and I would get rid of my ZX1 (that I like except that its still running on Android 4.1 (!!) and the power output is not very strong) if I see that my future new smartphone will be up to my Sony dap.

I have been considering the Meizo Pro 6 Plus or Pro 7 (Pro 7 Plus is a bit too expensive for my needs)

Which one would you choose ? I can have the Pro 6 Plus for 200€ in 64gb version like new.
The Pro 7 is 5.2" (I prefer this size over 5.7"), Android 7 but I'm not a big fan of the back screen. Apparently the Pro 6 Plus has a better battery.

I would plug easy to average to drive closed cans like Sennheiser Momentum, B&O H6, etc.

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,022 of 5,166
Hi

I have an old Honor 6 that I need to change because the battery is dying, and a dap, a Sony NWZ-ZX1, that I use occasionally.
I think going into an audiophile smartphone could be a good idea and I would get rid of my ZX1 (that I like except that its still running on Android 4.1 (!!) and the power output is not very strong) if I see that my future new smartphone will be up to my Sony dap.

I have been considering the Meizo Pro 6 Plus or Pro 7 (Pro 7 Plus is a bit too expensive for my needs)

Which one would you choose ? I can have the Pro 6 Plus for 200€ in 64gb version like new.
The Pro 7 is 5.2" (I prefer this size over 5.7"), Android 7 but I'm not a big fan of the back screen. Apparently the Pro 6 Plus has a better battery.

I would plug easy to average to drive closed cans like Sennheiser Momentum, B&O H6, etc.

Will you consider vivo as a candidate?

Because pro6-7, the output is not good as pro5 anymore, so it is harder to drive full size cans. I would recommend either lg v30 or xplay6

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,023 of 5,166
I have a LG G5 that came with the Hi-FI B&0 DAC. I'm really disappointed with it as it still is not as good my HTC Sensation which has a Wolfson DAC. Quite surprised by this but there you are.

Because the Sensation is a bit on the slow side and the battery only lasts an hour or so, I want a new phone to use purely for streaming audio but not as a main phone, that would sound as good as the Sensation. Really, if it sounds as good as the Sensation I would be happy.

I am not interested in buying a new modern phone, I don't wan't to spend much, perhaps a second hand that is sufficiently speedy enough to run music apps without much lag. Small screen is fine in fact preferred.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,024 of 5,166
I have a LG G5 that came with the Hi-FI B&0 DAC. I'm really disappointed with it as it still is not as good my HTC Sensation which has a Wolfsen DAC. Quite surprised by this but there you are.

Because the Sensation is a bit on the slow side and the battery only lasts an hour or so, I want a new phone to use purely for streaming audio but not as a main phone, that would sound as good as the Sensation. Really, if it sounds as good as the Sensation I would be happy.

I am not interested in buying a new modern phone, I don't wan't to spend much, perhaps a second hand that is sufficiently speedy enough to run music apps without much lag. Small screen is fine in fact preferred.

Any suggestions?

Maybe second hand htc10

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,030 of 5,166
Also would recommend recent Samsung flagships (exynos version), they measure well in 0db's tests.

If you like bass then yes but if you are looking for that impressive audiophile sound tuning then no stay away from samsung as my experience with s8 exynos is not at all that good.

Lg v30 has the most impressive sound that i have listened till date.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,031 of 5,166
Any phone with a sound suitable for death,black and doom metal. I generally use earbuds but the occasional headphone. It will not be my main phone as I have a samsung s8. This phone would be purely for the dac chip.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,032 of 5,166
Any phone with a sound suitable for death,black and doom metal. I generally use earbuds but the occasional headphone. It will not be my main phone as I have a samsung s8. This phone would be purely for the dac chip.

Axon 7 or Letv Max

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,033 of 5,166
Still not have much news on upcoming audiophile phone candidates. But I want to inform for vivo users that there is a plan for android oreo update for various devices including xplay6, x9 series, x20 series in April.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5546180828

ZTE Axon 7 should get Oreo in April as well. Beta is already out in China and US.
(2 years old but still cracking phone)

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #1,034 of 5,166
ZTE Axon 7 should get Oreo in April as well. Beta is already out in China and US.
(2 years old but still cracking phone)
Axon 7 Mini should also have Oreo coming, according to a support tech I was in a chat with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back