Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
May 8, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #1,351 of 5,166
So I have the LG V20 and was wondering what smartphone has the same quality with slightly more mid range warmth and thicker vocal? Preferably similar sounstage or wider thanks.

Is Xplay 6 warmer? Similar width?

Meizu pro 5 is not available anywhere and I’m not totally satisfied with the V20 being slightly cold/analytical in the vocal (although the detail and depth is impressive).

Am I forced to buy a high end DAP to achieve this sound? I hope not!

(BTW I don’t notice much if any of a difference between normal/aux/high impendance mode for my v20... other than loudness)
HTC 10 is the answer. Slightly warm with better SNR , better stereo crosstalk & lowest noise floor compared to the V20.

May 8, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,354 of 5,166
Xiaomi Mi Note/Pro has a similiar soundprint as the X3II, but the X3II has a wider soundstage and much cleaner sound, especially at high volume.
That phone is old and not worth buying for the sound or for anything else. Same goes for Meizu pro 5/Pro 6.
I also don`t understand why anyone would recommend Meizu`s or Axon`s, when phones like the HTC10 are going for around 250€/$ right now. Meizu Pro 5 is an outdated phone,and the SQ is inferior to both the HTC10 and the V20. Same goes for the Pro 6, which sounds even worse with it`s shrill highs and lack of bass. You will also never see any useful updates for those phones, especially not from Meizu.

The HTC10 runs circles around any Meizu and Axon when it comes to SQ and is also a better phone. The V20 is also an option and can be bought for the same price right now. I prefer the 10 for the sound, but if you have gear that needs much power, V20 is probably the better option. But no matter how you turn it, they`re both better than the Mi note pro, pro 5, pro 6 or axons.
So true.

May 8, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,355 of 5,166
Thanks for the recommendation. I probably will!

Anyways do I have to do something with the flyme 6 to improve the audio or is it good to go?

Nothing to do with the rom. Just setting neutron HiRes setting.

May 11, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #1,358 of 5,166
I currently own the Axon 7 and MI A1 and use AUX for the car, using the MI A1 gives me a better stage. So, I'm selling my Axon 7 since I bought it for in car audio only and it didn't met my expectations based on the sound system in my car. If I have to choose a phone up to 300 USD what would you guys recommend me to buy to get the best audio experience?

May 11, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,359 of 5,166
I currently own the Axon 7 and MI A1 and use AUX for the car, using the MI A1 gives me a better stage. So, I'm selling my Axon 7 since I bought it for in car audio only and it didn't met my expectations based on the sound system in my car. If I have to choose a phone up to 300 USD what would you guys recommend me to buy to get the best audio experience?

If you just want to use Line out option. Meizu pro 5 is one of the best option. It has Line Out option in its sound setting. Totally mind-blown for connecting with external amp compared to other smartphones. :wink:

May 11, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #1,362 of 5,166
Yep, the phone is discontinued and can't find it anywhere, if there is another option that is better even if it's a bit more expensive since I'm willing to make the phone my ultimate audio source in car :D

LG V20 or meizu pro 6 plus then. At least still can find easily.

May 11, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,364 of 5,166
Which external amp would you recommend to connect with it, I tried searching for one but couldn't find any

Well, since I don't use it for car audio, I just use it with desktop amp (schiit asgard)to use with some hard-to-drive can/earbuds. But I think aune b1 is quite a good portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back