Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 25, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,276 of 5,166
It's 473 euro via Amazon
https://www.amazon.es/Meizu-Pro-Plus-Smartphone-memoria/dp/B06WRNK1DM

and only 178 via Aliexpress... wow

https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...890-Octa-Core-5-7-2K/1194377_32774020045.html

Also, if I may ask you, what makes it an audiophile smartphone, briefly speaking?

Thanks Vympels.
ESS 9018K2M Dac + AD (insert number) Opamp
According to Artpiggo it sound almost same as the pro 5 and according to me it's the same (see first page for sound signature of both phones)
Edit : If you go for meizu be aware that you will have to stick with flyme no custom rom and such fancy stuff , no viper4android or audio mods and update are mixed between good and bad

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,277 of 5,166
Can go lg v20 in aliexpress. If you dont like flyme ui. Just another option. Its sound is quite balanced neutral.

There is letv max x900 as well. If you like a big screen (sacrificing battery life) but very good sound (vivid and impactful)

Depends on your earphone and preference.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,278 of 5,166
[Vivo Xplay6 Tutorial]

I would like to write on how to set Neutron music player to support with vivo's Hi-Fi (which is bit perfect of course.) Since normally, neutron supports only DSD mode where it bypasses all ALSA to result in disabling resampling which has a little drawback that the volume step will be only 15 instead of 30 steps and despite the fact that playing WAV/FLAC/MP3 in DSD mode does sound great, it sacrifice a lot of battery.

Therefore this tutorial will help vivo xplay6 user to easily choose between Hi-Fi mode and DSD mode styles very swiftly. :)

1. Install additional Neutron "Eval" Version along with the purchased version. The Eval Version will use as "dummy" app.
2. Go to phone setting and set Hi-Fi toggle for Neutron "Eval"
3. Then go to Neutron "Purchased" Version go set in audio hardware > Generic Driver > Format. Set like this.

4. Boom, now playing everything is Hi-Fi with bit perfect. :)

Addition Note:
1. But there is an additional step when you use Neutron is that you cannot play music by just clicking "play" on neutron "widget". You need to go open the app first, then click play inside the app. Because when clicking play on widget will activate Hi-Fi but the frequency output is 48kHz (Android limitation).

2. But with Hi-Fi setting, you cannot play DSD file. So when you want to play DSD album, you need to un-select "Custom format" and let Hi-Res Codec running to use in DSD mode. This is where you can swap between Hi-Fi and DSD mode very easily.

If my procedure is hard to understand, feel free to ask in detail. don't hesitate.

For UAPP, it enables DSD mode in vivo xplay6 only (cannot toggle into Hi-Fi mode)

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #1,279 of 5,166
Can go lg v20 in aliexpress. If you dont like flyme ui. Just another option. Its sound is quite balanced neutral.

There is letv max x900 as well. If you like a big screen (sacrificing battery life) but very good sound (vivid and impactful)

Depends on your earphone and preference.

Thanks again Vymples and artpiggo for now I can do my homework and focus my research on these three smartphones.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #1,280 of 5,166
i am planning to get xiaomi redmi 5 , do anyone has experience with redmi5? especially audio quality , im search redmi5 using snapdragon 450. how about it? do they sounding any noise? i had experience with redmi 4a which they sound buzzing(idk how to describe) when in low volume with my iem. i wondering does the redmi5 sound buzzing too? does it sound good? currently im using shanling m1 for my dap and want to an android device for my multitask and of course to playing music while my m1 isnt in my pocket.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,281 of 5,166
i am planning to get xiaomi redmi 5 , do anyone has experience with redmi5? especially audio quality , im search redmi5 using snapdragon 450. how about it? do they sounding any noise? i had experience with redmi 4a which they sound buzzing(idk how to describe) when in low volume with my iem. i wondering does the redmi5 sound buzzing too? does it sound good? currently im using shanling m1 for my dap and want to an android device for my multitask and of course to playing music while my m1 isnt in my pocket.

Add chord hugo and it is good to go.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #1,282 of 5,166
[Vivo Xplay6 Tutorial]

I would like to write on how to set Neutron music player to support with vivo's Hi-Fi (which is bit perfect of course.) Since normally, neutron supports only DSD mode where it bypasses all ALSA to result in disabling resampling which has a little drawback that the volume step will be only 15 instead of 30 steps and despite the fact that playing WAV/FLAC/MP3 in DSD mode does sound great, it sacrifice a lot of battery.

Therefore this tutorial will help vivo xplay6 user to easily choose between Hi-Fi mode and DSD mode styles very swiftly. :)

1. Install additional Neutron "Eval" Version along with the purchased version. The Eval Version will use as "dummy" app.
2. Go to phone setting and set Hi-Fi toggle for Neutron "Eval"
3. Then go to Neutron "Purchased" Version go set in audio hardware > Generic Driver > Format. Set like this.

4. Boom, now playing everything is Hi-Fi with bit perfect. :)

Addition Note:
1. But there is an additional step when you use Neutron is that you cannot play music by just clicking "play" on neutron "widget". You need to go open the app first, then click play inside the app. Because when clicking play on widget will activate Hi-Fi but the frequency output is 48kHz (Android limitation).

2. But with Hi-Fi setting, you cannot play DSD file. So when you want to play DSD album, you need to un-select "Custom format" and let Hi-Res Codec running to use in DSD mode. This is where you can swap between Hi-Fi and DSD mode very easily.

If my procedure is hard to understand, feel free to ask in detail. don't hesitate.

For UAPP, it enables DSD mode in vivo xplay6 only (cannot toggle into Hi-Fi mode)

Pardon me but what are the benefits of this not-too-eye-pleasing Neutron?
Update: Have read the first page, no need to answer, thanx :))

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #1,283 of 5,166

I have redmi note 3. And its sound is very bad. Even my 6 year old Motorola Atrix was better than this. Even OnePlus 3T is better than this. I am assuming RN3 & Redmi 5 are similar.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,285 of 5,166
Snapdragon based phone is mostly aptx hd support including my xplay6 and once it updates to 8.1 on this July, it will be LDAC capable but by that time its flagship might come up already.

I am considering buying honor10 for audio review as well if it interests enough people on this thread.

Apr 28, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,286 of 5,166
Snapdragon based phone is mostly aptx hd support including my xplay6 and once it updates to 8.1 on this July, it will be LDAC capable but by that time its flagship might come up already.

I am considering buying honor10 for audio review as well if it interests enough people on this thread.

Are you saying that aptX comes built into some Snapdragon models?
Because i gathered that having any specific Snapdragon doesn't guarantee also having aptX.
Also, on the spec pages of gsmarena, aptX is mentioned only rarely.

I would be very interested in reading your review of the honor 10!
Hopefuly the Meizu should have a good dac since it looks much better

Apr 28, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #1,287 of 5,166
Are you saying that aptX comes built into some Snapdragon models?
Because i gathered that having any specific Snapdragon doesn't guarantee also having aptX.
Also, on the spec pages of gsmarena, aptX is mentioned only rarely.

I would be very interested in reading your review of the honor 10!
Hopefuly the Meizu should have a good dac since it looks much better

See a sample of aptx hd smartphone (not full list though)

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=483

For meizu, i am not so sure if I want to get it. Meizu pro7 last gen isn't that impressed me in term of usage and SQ.

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #1,288 of 5,166
Anyone tried the Huawei p20 pro or Sony xz2 premium? Those phones have awesome cameras but little was mentioned about their sound signatures. Went to local electronic shop and was told the agent only provided the handset and there wasn't any usb-c to 3.5mm converter to spare me:confused:

Since I ditched my player, I've been using V30 for some time. P20 Pro came in a few days ago. It's own hi-fi dac decodes up to 32/384. This phone, to my amazement, sounds very sweet straight from USB type c (with their converter). I listen to iems like ie800s, no background noise, enough power. Compared with V30, I find myself leaning more towards P20 pro's tuning. Engaging, full sounding, brighter than V30. Huawei doesnt advertise hi-fi audio like LG does, but I hear my iem match better with P20 Pro.

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #1,289 of 5,166
See a sample of aptx hd smartphone (not full list though)

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=483

For meizu, i am not so sure if I want to get it. Meizu pro7 last gen isn't that impressed me in term of usage and SQ.

I am familiar with that aptX list, you can notice many phones are not showing up there.
Anyway, thanx :)

So the LG G7 will have the quad dac as was announced today...too bad the battery is so small :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back