Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #526 of 5,166
Hi guys,

My v10 has failed. I am looking for a new device.

I am thinking of getting a vivo xplay 6 but i am not sure if the new one will be out soon?
Don't want the Meizu as it lacks the right LTE bands.
LG v30 would be the second option but i would like the vivo if the Xplay 7 or whatever will be out soon

Why not V20, since they are priced around 300?

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #527 of 5,166
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #528 of 5,166
Why not V20, since they are priced around 300?

I have a v20 that I bought for dirt cheap in mint condition but I'm selling it now because it has very bad ghosting with the screen even on very low brightness....not saying it's every devcie but mine is really bad, LG has an issue with proper cooling designs imo they just haven't gotten it quite right except maybe starting with g6, the problem with the v20 is that the processor releases heat right behind the screen so after about 6 months the screen wears out so I'm just using fiio q1 in the meantime while G6 or v30 gets lower in price.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #530 of 5,166
I have a v20 that I bought for dirt cheap in mint condition but I'm selling it now because it has very bad ghosting with the screen even on very low brightness....not saying it's every devcie but mine is really bad, LG has an issue with proper cooling designs imo they just haven't gotten it quite right except maybe starting with g6, the problem with the v20 is that the processor releases heat right behind the screen so after about 6 months the screen wears out so I'm just using fiio q1 in the meantime while G6 or v30 gets lower in price.
Do you mean that you got ghosting only after 6 months use ? My own device is only 3 months old, so your experience is welcome.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #533 of 5,166
Do you mean that you got ghosting only after 6 months use ? My own device is only 3 months old, so your experience is welcome.

The image retention problem is wide spread however just like the G4/V10 bootloop your milage may vary but I have had customers come in for warranty claims even less than that because most people run their screens on high brightness and use the phone heavily so heat is a factor

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #534 of 5,166
"In mint condiction" aka bought 2nd hands down I would even say that the first owner bought the phone since a lot cause he got no warranty

There is still warranty through LG phone was originally purchased in December of last year on T-Mobile employee program however LG phones are not as popular in the US unless you are into audio and especially since I work in a store and know a few shops I sometimes can get them cheap almost a year after launch....in this case my friend liked iPhones more so he basically left it sitting in the box and needed some cash and viola

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #535 of 5,166
I heard about both issues, even if my v10 and v20 are still both immune to it. I use almost never my screen at high brightness, except temporary in full sunlight. But the bootloop risk with the V10 already pushed me to the V20 as my daily driver. Now I hope screen retention doesn't do the same. At least it is less sudden than the bootloop and it doesn't make the device totally useless...

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #536 of 5,166
I heard about both issues, even if my v10 and v20 are still both immune to it. I use almost never my screen at high brightness, except temporary in full sunlight. But the bootloop risk with the V10 already pushed me to the V20 as my daily driver. Now I hope screen retention doesn't do the same. At least it is less sudden than the bootloop and it doesn't make the device totally useless...

You are correct it's just annoying to me, I had a loaner dual SIM version and it was perfect and that one is more than 6 months old then I bought this one that's barely been used a few days ago and it's drastic, LG will fix it but I just can't be bothered otherwise I know it is a great device and because hauling around the Fiio Q1 and cables isn't ideal at all lol

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #538 of 5,166
This may be a bit off-topic, but now with so many smartphones cutting headphone jacks, are there any cable integrated amp/DACs being developed?

The only one I can find is the Audeze Cipher, but that seems proprietary to specific headphones:

https://www.audeze.com/lightning-cable-technology

Obviously there are bulkier portable amp/DAC options out there, but it seems there would be a real market for something like this among audiophiles.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #539 of 5,166
There are some cheap USB jack > 3.5mm jack DAC adaptor boards ( without covers) out there that are under US$5/-. No idea how they sound but you can find them if you search under "USB DAC".

Or you can look at pretty well received ones that are a fair bit bigger and not that cheap, such as the SMSL Idea or Sabaj Da2. There are others such as the

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digital-Analog-Converter-PCM2706/dp/B00CWVDPC0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back