Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 26, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #436 of 5,166
general reliability of a brand, that sells like dozens of different types of products? come on, you can't say that all smsl's have hiss, popping and reliability issues, simply based on what you've read about on single model (which wasn't good, btw).

personally, i don't have the x4. however, i know a very reliable local guy, who bought it and reviewed it. he wrote about it multiple times on hungarian boards, and based on his experience, i would definitely put it on my shopping list if i were to buy a cheap portable dac/amp. he wrote that the dac has a typical musical wolfson sound, works with all systems like a charm, has a quality build, and can recommend it to ear-/headphones that are relatively easy to drive. i trust his judgement 100%. i would definitely pick the x4 over the hifime sabre dac, as the latter might have some issues with android 6/7 systems. also, i do think that the x4 looks badass in red, but that's just me.
Cool ! Will sure look into this DAC.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #437 of 5,166
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm looking for a budget android phone ($200) to use as a DAP with bluetooth in my car in a pretty decent tuned system. The phone needs microSD. I'll be using Poweramp and just want something that transmits bluetooth 4.1 with aptx. I'm not totally familiar with what's considered great, but from what I hear that is reliable and good sound quality. Since it'll be in a car with a non-perfect listening environment, it doesn't have to be super amazing. I currently have this Taotronics Bluetooth receiver in my car that I connect via optical to the stereo. It seems to work well and sound good.

I'd just like a fairly cheap phone that I can use as a quality bluetooth source. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #438 of 5,166
>
son-video have a long running deal for the opus#11. i considered buying that during the summer. i only moved to different targets because it lacks a volume control, but still, it's a good looking device both from desing and specs point of views.

the r2r 11 looks like a non-limited model, so i guess you'll be able to get one for some years to come.

Well i cant buy it right now, so I asked son-video's support and they told me they couldnt say for sure that the deal would still be up after another month or two. So I'll buy it whenever i can and get the R2R later, If I miss the deal, I'll get the soon-released fiio Q5 and then the NFB 11.28 ( I would probly pay 100/150€ more in total though, and the sound signatures would be different, might like it less ).

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #439 of 5,166
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm looking for a budget android phone ($200) to use as a DAP with bluetooth in my car in a pretty decent tuned system. The phone needs microSD. I'll be using Poweramp and just want something that transmits bluetooth 4.1 with aptx. I'm not totally familiar with what's considered great, but from what I hear that is reliable and good sound quality. Since it'll be in a car with a non-perfect listening environment, it doesn't have to be super amazing. I currently have this Taotronics Bluetooth receiver in my car that I connect via optical to the stereo. It seems to work well and sound good.

I'd just like a fairly cheap phone that I can use as a quality bluetooth source. Thanks!

Any sony phone would do the job.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #440 of 5,166

I myself plan to get a xiaomi redmi note 4 64 go ( + up to 128 more with micro sd ) that i can buy at around 180€ in my country. I will use it as a dap, just to store my music. It shoud have Bluetooth 4,2 and it has a big battery for extended period of use. It's fairly big though I think.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #441 of 5,166
Please take Xiaomi Mi A1 instead: it is the SAME phone but has android One as OS instead the normal OS customized from the manufacturers.
Android One is the "pure" version of android and that will mean that the xiaomi mi A1 will be updated before every other phone without android One, that will get update for more years and that your phone will have a longer life. Peace.

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #443 of 5,166
Please, one information. i have a huawei p8 lite that does not have otg support.
when i read the specifications of smartphones or tablets, never been reported the otg support.
so my question: the last releases of smartphones, in general, have otg support?
thank you

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #444 of 5,166
Please, one information. i have a huawei p8 lite that does not have otg support.
when i read the specifications of smartphones or tablets, never been reported the otg support.
so my question: the last releases of smartphones, in general, have otg support?
thank you

Just know that lite version not getting otg support. Cuz normal P8 has it.

Anyway, it shouldnt be any concern these day Cuz most smartphone these day it is very general to have otg support. It is very basic stuff.

If anyone of you think you can help me on this. Please send me an excel sheet with otg function, I will go update it.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #445 of 5,166
Please take Xiaomi Mi A1 instead: it is the SAME phone but has android One as OS instead the normal OS customized from the manufacturers.
Android One is the "pure" version of android and that will mean that the xiaomi mi A1 will be updated before every other phone without android One, that will get update for more years and that your phone will have a longer life. Peace.

Thank you for you suggestion, but unfortunately the phone you are telling me about is almost 150€ more expensive ( at least in my country ). That's almost twice the price, and you are tellling me that its the "same phone". If that's the price to pay for priority on updates and longer life then I don't think it's much worth. I'd rather get another phone in a year or two, that could even be in the same price range ( but newer components, etc. ), also the redmi note 4 has a bigger battery, which interests me quite a lot.

I've noticed the redmi note 3 pro ( heard it had better autonomy ), and the note 4x which all have around the same price, and so I was wondering if maybe they would be a better option. I can't find any other in 64 gb model though, which is quite annoying since I need a lot of space to use it as a dap.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #446 of 5,166
Sry Xiaomi isn't officially imported in Italy so I watch price on GearBest and there's like 15$ of difference (if I remember right) between them.
4x has the better autonomy of all three and if you wanna save some more money and don't need the dap right now on black friday you will pay the phone less and a 200gb sd for 50 bucks

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #447 of 5,166
Sry Xiaomi isn't officially imported in Italy so I watch price on GearBest and there's like 15$ of difference (if I remember right) between them.
4x has the better autonomy of all three and if you wanna save some more money and don't need the dap right now on black friday you will pay the phone less and a 200gb sd for 50 bucks

I found a 64gb version for the note 4X, so i'll be getting this one for sure ( newer model and almost the same price anyway ).

I remembered the brand of my actual dac/amp, and looked deeply into their products, it's some sort of independent chinese brand that uses high cost component and sell it really cheep, I figured out that the shop at which i buy my audio gear imports devices from them, and re-name them with their logo.

I found these 3 models, what do you guys think about it? ( if people are interested by their brand: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/331129 )

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...3662.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.99289b4anVKPG
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...543.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.66ef91cf8nJ4RJ
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...286.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.1bb4b8f6Nw2qH8

I planned to only get one device, but at these prices, I can litteraly get the 3 of them, or rather one portable dac and pick up some amp or dac in the 100~€ range for home. I would rather get the E19 but I cant figure out where the line out is, all I see is a headphone out ( ports I see: usb, dc, hp out ). Can I use the headphone out as line out for and connect it with an amp?

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #448 of 5,166
Why do you need amp? It is already dac amp combo. Just use usb cable connected to your phone and it is good to go.

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #449 of 5,166
Why do you need amp? It is already dac amp combo. Just use usb cable connected to your phone and it is good to go.

Yeah, I dont need one, all I was saying is that I even with my tight budget, at this price, I could literally buy the 3 at once. Of course I will buy only one, either the E17 or e19. As I said I'm confused with the E19's ports, even though that's the one I want, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it properly ( if I'm buying an amp I want to be able to connect them together ).

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #450 of 5,166
In practice you can using mini to mini cable from headphone out to another amp. But doing this is called double amping and will surely degrade the sound quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back