Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 20, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #2,056 of 5,166
Can share how to use aux mode or high impedence with the Nex S? Thanks

Screenshot_2018-11-20-13-14-17.jpg

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #2,059 of 5,166
You can use ifi earbuddy or ifi iematch.

No you can't. These products have a very low impedance and will put phones into normal mode no matter you plug it alone or with a headphone attached to it.
Don't ask why I know this :frowning2:
Plus, they tend to change the sound signature to be a more dull mid and less punchy bass. After compareing with and without the EarBuddy I decided to not use it.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #2,060 of 5,166
No you can't. These products have a very low impedance and will put phones into normal mode no matter you plug it alone or with a headphone attached to it.
Don't ask why I know this :frowning2:
Plus, they tend to change the sound signature to be a more dull mid and less punchy bass. After compareing with and without the EarBuddy I decided to not use it.

Ok thanks for input. I have never tried these. I just assumed that it should work just like any other adapter and cable cuz this has less impedance than ifi's and still work fine.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #2,061 of 5,166
Ok thanks for input. I have never tried these. I just assumed that it should work just like any other adapter and cable cuz this has less impedance than ifi's and still work fine.
To trigger aux mode, you need to plug the adapter only without cable. That means infinate impedance. However the iFi product, by itself, has a very low impedance due to the circuit inside. It's much lower than 50 Ohm. Therefore the phone recognize it as a low-impedance device like an IEM.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,062 of 5,166
To trigger aux mode, you need to plug the adapter only without cable. That means infinate impedance. However the iFi product, by itself, has a very low impedance due to the circuit inside. It's much lower than 50 Ohm. Therefore the phone recognize it as a low-impedance device like an IEM.

For vivo as I have used. Aux mode is equal to high gain mode. (There are Only normal and high gain for vivo) so I think the aux trick can be enabled for high gain.

Which is different from LG that has 3 options.

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #2,063 of 5,166
I read from here (https://www.evosmart.it/audio-multi...ex-s-potenza-sopita-scottante-sorpresa/18569/) that in order to use the High Gain mode for the Vivo Nex S, the steps are:
  1. Insert the adapter / extension cable into the jack of the NEX S
  2. Play music
  3. Insert any pair of headphones into the adapter / jack extension connector
Besides the above steps, any other faster or more convenient method to enter High Gain mode for the Nex S?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #2,064 of 5,166
I read from here (https://www.evosmart.it/audio-multi...ex-s-potenza-sopita-scottante-sorpresa/18569/) that in order to use the High Gain mode for the Vivo Nex S, the steps are:
  1. Insert the adapter / extension cable into the jack of the NEX S
  2. Play music
  3. Insert any pair of headphones into the adapter / jack extension connector
Besides the above steps, any other faster or more convenient method to enter High Gain mode for the Nex S?

Buy senheiser hd800 and it will trick into high gain without any adapter needed. LOL.

In sum, you need a pair of high impedance can.

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,066 of 5,166
Hello to all and thank you for all this information. I need help! I really need to know which xiaomi from this year has the same ESS audio chip than the one in te list given at the start of this thread. Is the redmi note 6 pro? Th redmi note 5? The mi note 2 or the 3?
Or any good smartphone under 300 that has a good chip for WAV and flac.

Thank you so much for everything

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #2,067 of 5,166
Hello to all and thank you for all this information. I need help! I really need to know which xiaomi from this year has the same ESS audio chip than the one in te list given at the start of this thread. Is the redmi note 6 pro? Th redmi note 5? The mi note 2 or the 3?
Or any good smartphone under 300 that has a good chip for WAV and flac.

Thank you so much for everything
I don't think any recent XiaoMi phone carry a ESS chip... audio quality is not their focus.
For your second question, try pickup a second hand G6 or V20?

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #2,069 of 5,166
Nov 23, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #2,070 of 5,166
Hi, i just bought sony 1000XM3
And looking for a good phone to pair with it.
I saw sony xz2 compact and it said that it has sony “High Resolution Audio” does it really make any differences?
I want to to listen using Bluetooth wirelessly, is there any advantage using a sony branded phone with sony head phone ? Because in the box it says things like “high resolution audio” “DSEE HX” ”LDAC” .
I was planning to get an iPhone xs or samsung galaxy S9
But if the Sony xz2 compact will give me better sound quality when playing music with my sony 1000xM3 then I’ll definitely buy the later.

Thank you guys, hope someone can help me here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back