Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 29, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #1,741 of 5,166
Anyone using a Note 9 for audio? Trying to get some audio impressions. All the Note 9 reviewers have no concept of good quality audio. My Note 9 is coming end of the week.

I don't think you can expect much from note 9. US versions are using snapdragon which we all know is nothing special when it comes to audio. Exynos versions do have a cirrus logic dac inside them though. I own an exynos s8 which i think is good enough for non audiophile folks. If i compare it with my other phone letv x900 which has ess sabre dac inside then s8 is still miles behind. If you can get an exynos note 9 somehow then it will be much better audio wise perhaps.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #1,743 of 5,166
Unfortunately xplay6 is too big. I need a height that is less than S7. I understand I won't be getting the best sound, but I would like to get the best possible sound from a small android phone that is available.

Axon7 mini?

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,745 of 5,166
I don't think you can expect much from note 9. US versions are using snapdragon which we all know is nothing special when it comes to audio. Exynos versions do have a cirrus logic dac inside them though. I own an exynos s8 which i think is good enough for non audiophile folks. If i compare it with my other phone letv x900 which has ess sabre dac inside then s8 is still miles behind. If you can get an exynos note 9 somehow then it will be much better audio wise perhaps.

"
The Samsung Galaxy Note9 got straight A’s on its audio quality report card. The phablet delivered perfect scores and loud output with an external amplifier, but as it turned out, that wasn’t anywhere near the most impressive part of its performance.

When we hooked up a pair of headphones the output was virtually unaffected - no stereo crosstalk spike, no intermodulation distortion nor any drop in loudness. It’s undoubtedly the best result we’ve seen this year and one that should put the Note9 on top of any audiophile’s list." gsmarena. Crazy accurate measurements.

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #1,746 of 5,166
"
The Samsung Galaxy Note9 got straight A’s on its audio quality report card. The phablet delivered perfect scores and loud output with an external amplifier, but as it turned out, that wasn’t anywhere near the most impressive part of its performance.

When we hooked up a pair of headphones the output was virtually unaffected - no stereo crosstalk spike, no intermodulation distortion nor any drop in loudness. It’s undoubtedly the best result we’ve seen this year and one that should put the Note9 on top of any audiophile’s list." gsmarena. Crazy accurate measurements.
Interesting. Well, I will post audio comparisons this weekend as I have a V30+ now and a Note 9, tomorrow. Although the V30's MQA decoding of Tidal Master Files is so so sweet...

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,747 of 5,166
"

Well i really pity those people who buy ordinary snapdragon phones like htc 10 after reading those so called audiophile tests on gsmarena. They even said s8 has a stellar audio output, lol.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,751 of 5,166
Interesting. Well, I will post audio comparisons this weekend as I have a V30+ now and a Note 9, tomorrow. Although the V30's MQA decoding of Tidal Master Files is so so sweet...

really interested how they compare in terms of audio performance since I'm on the verge of getting a new smartphone (my LG V20 screen shattered into a million peaces after an unlucky drop a few days ago >.>)

the G7 is leading the race for me atm, but the V30 and Note9 are still in it

edit: changed my mind after digging some more, I don't like the design of the G7.
Still trying to decide between Note9 and V30, they both have a lot of pros and cons when compared to each other : )

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,755 of 5,166
It's actually bigger than s7. It's ridiculous they called it mini. 5.2" inch display - mini. Hahaha. What a joke. Good they didn't call it micro or nano. Anyway, I need something like S7 or smaller, preferably with dedicated memory card slot and decent audio.

Xperia Z3 compact, old but decent audio. LG G6 but probably too big for you.

Smartphones tend to get bigger and bigger. Difficult to find a small smartphone today even if you don't want good sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back