Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,923 of 5,166
It's LG or vivo. depend on what sound style you like.

Not that I've heard LG or Vivo, but I wouldn't rule out ZTE Axon 7 from there. Sikilar chipset as xplay6(SD820 + 4GB/64GB) but we're have custom ROMs up to Android 9 now.
AFAIK xplay6 is stuck on 7 and no root method?
Axon has premium DAC as well - AKM4490, compared to what I own and owned (couple of DAPs and DACs) it does deliver high SQ.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,925 of 5,166
I assume this is common knowledge on here now but I compared the V20 (non B&O version) to the V30(+) and the difference in sound is subtle but there.

The actual sound quality is equal overall IMO, but the signature is slightly different.

I always characterized the V20 as having a slightly bright tilt from mids to lower treble, except for the slightly elevated mid bass which gave a fuller bass response.

While this gave the V20 a wonderful impactful bass and clear detailed highs, it did leave a slightly leaner presentation of the low mids.

The V30 drops this bass emphasis for a more neutral response, which is turn makes the low mids more in balance. The upper mids and lower still have the brighter tilt but again it's not as apperant because of the more neutral response below 1khz. Treble is roughly the same on both devices, it's clear and extended flat and doesn't seem particularly emphasised or coloured. It's an accurate treble response.

So overall I'd consider the V30 the more neutral of the two with a hint of brightness. While the V20 has more colouration in the bass and thus has a slightly warm-bright tilt.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #1,926 of 5,166
I assume this is common knowledge on here now but I compared the V20 (non B&O version) to the V30(+) and the difference in sound is subtle but there.

The actual sound quality is equal overall IMO, but the signature is slightly different.

I always characterized the V20 as having a slightly bright tilt from mids to lower treble, except for the slightly elevated mid bass which gave a fuller bass response.

While this gave the V20 a wonderful impactful bass and clear detailed highs, it did leave a slightly leaner presentation of the low mids.

The V30 drops this bass emphasis for a more neutral response, which is turn makes the low mids more in balance. The upper mids and lower still have the brighter tilt but again it's not as apperant because of the more neutral response below 1khz. Treble is roughly the same on both devices, it's clear and extended flat and doesn't seem particularly emphasised or coloured. It's an accurate treble response.

So overall I'd consider the V30 the more neutral of the two with a hint of brightness. While the V20 has more colouration in the bass and thus has a slightly warm-bright tilt.
In terms of SQ there is no difference between the 2 phones, it's exactly the same dac just different colourations trough the drivers/software. You can set it to your own preference using any equalizer software

Preferable: viper4android as it's the best EQ you can get on a android phone

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #1,927 of 5,166
In terms of SQ there is no difference between the 2 phones, it's exactly the same dac just different colourations trough the drivers/software. You can set it to your own preference using any equalizer software

Preferable: viper4android as it's the best EQ you can get on a android phone
Yes that's what I eluded to in my comparision. Also with the 3 filter options available you can change the sound in that manner. If only there was a parametric EQ baked into the OS then this would be the perfect DAP imo.

How easy (or hard!) is it to root the LG V30+ H930 if you have any idea?

I've never rooted before but if the instructions are straightforward and my model is not troublesome to root I may consider it for V4A because I'd really love to use a full EQ with spotify.

Currently I'm using RE EQ which is very good for a graphical EQ but it's no match for a parametic EQ.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #1,929 of 5,166
Have you used the xplay5 elite? Is it any better than the xplay6? (asking because I might have a chance to get the xplay5 elite)

I read on Chinese forum ie. soomal that xplay5 elite is little better then xplay6. I think you should go ahead and even if you don't like the phone overall you can always use it as a cheap dap.

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #1,930 of 5,166
Have you used the xplay5 elite? Is it any better than the xplay6? (asking because I might have a chance to get the xplay5 elite)

Never tried but pretty sure it has shared the same direction of vivo house sound.

Maybe wider soundstage (but less 3D) and more treble orient than xplay6

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,932 of 5,166
That's normal feedback when you still not tried xplay6.
Probably you are right, hence I mentioned that I haven't heard it.
But no root and blocked bootloader is stopper for me here. That's why I've moved away from MX4 Pro (it had root but locked bootloader) although it was very musical.
How would you compare xplay6 to MX4pro? Similar DAC.

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,933 of 5,166
Hi Guys, what do you think about Galaxy Note 9 ??
I've been using with Tidal hifi, Roon MQA Tidal, and music files directly from the phone. Via either my iBasso IT4 or KSE1200, sound is pretty good. The Note 9 has some software adjustments like Dolby Atmos, UHQ Upscaler, Tube Amp Pro, and an equalizer that fine tunes the sound. It's not the equivalent of a great DAC like tdd he LG phones but it's pretty competitive.

It sounds very good to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back