Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 19, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #4,606 of 5,166
Xplay 6 is a perfect match for Focal Elegia , so is the Listen Pro with Xplay 5S.
Hi! Thanks you VERY much for this conclusion.

I searching for new phones to find a better sound, but, as you say to be long time ago,i should stick with vivo xplay5S and vivo xplay6 and find proper ears.

I get focal listen pro after 3 mistakes ( Meze 99 classic, vivo nex s, asus rog phone 5) and im more than happy now with sound

I just try to get from vivo support service manuals for disassebbling my vivo xplay5s and vivo xplay6 to change the batteries
They do not agree to change batteries even for money even when i have it.

Also - can you tell me which best player you use for listening music?

I mostly using foobar2000

Also I found that with longer chord which clamed to be the most preferring there is less trieble for me.

Also I want to get new earpads , but find in aliexpress only for focal listen ( not pro) Is it similar in size? can i order it?

Thanks in advance once again

Never think that my audiotechnika ATH ES10 can lose Focal Listen Pro ( it cost way more)

Also - what you think about legendary SONY MDR CD3000 ?

Its rare right now, but in japan still cn be found.

Should we try our luck to get this ears to chak it out with our vivo xplay5S and vivo xlpay6

Thanks in advance
Will be waitng the answer from you soon
Sincerely yours
Korzh Yury

Mar 20, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #4,607 of 5,166
Hi ! Thanks you VERY much for this conclusion.

I searching for new phones to find a better sound, but, as you say to be long time ago,i should stick with vivo xplay5S and vivo xplay6 and find proper ears.

I get focal listen pro after 3 mistakes ( Meze 99 classic, vivo nex s, asus rog phone 5) and im more than happy now with sound

I just try to get from vivo support service manuals for disassebbling my vivo xplay5s and vivo xplay6 to change the batteries
They do not agree to change batteries even for money even when i have it.

I have 3 audio phones ( Meizu Pro 6 Plus , Xplay 5S & Xplay 6).
I have 2 USB dongles ( S9 Pro & Link2 Bal ) & a Topping DX7 Pro.
I have a Spirit Pro , Listen Pro & Elegia.

While they sound awesome , i don't use Xplay 5S & 6 anymore.
Mainly because of the UI.
I use S9 Pro with Pro 6 Plus (plug & play) and Listen Pro.
I use DX7 Pro with Galaxy S7 (LDAC) and Elegia.
I didn't use Link2 Bal since i received it , but i think it would switch with S9 Pro to be use with Listen Pro.

While Xplay 5S may be the TOFL in audio smartphone segment , to me S9 Pro does everything XPlay 5S does , but better : soundstage , level of detail , neutrality ...

Really , you should take a look to #donglemadness and find something that suit you taste in the TOP10 - TOP20.

Also - can you tell me which best player you use for listening music?

I mostly using foobar2000

There is no best player mainly because it depend how you listen to your music , how do you sort your music etc ...

With Pro 6 Plus , i use Hiby Music because S9 Pro is easily recognized and the UI made some progress.
With DX7 Pro , Samsung Music. Need nothing more.

Also I found that with longer chord which clamed to be the most preferring there is less trieble for me.

Also I want to get new earpads , but find in aliexpress only for focal listen ( not pro) Is it similar in size? can i order it?
Yep , absolutely ALL earpads you can find for Listen / Pro / Wireless can be used with each model.
Some could say it may change the sound a little.

Also - what you think about legendary SONY MDR CD3000 ?

Its rare right now, but in japan still cn be found.
Sorry , i don't like Sony sound presentation.

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b is a headphone that often stand out when asking for something similar to Listen Pro.

Mar 20, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #4,608 of 5,166
Topping dx70 is not portable, am i right? I search only portable solutions

And you claim that near 100$ usb dongle ( hidizs s9 pro) can play better that xplays?

Somebody says cayin ru6 with its r2r have the same quality like vivo

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #4,609 of 5,166
Topping dx70 is not portable, am i right? I search only portable solutions
Yeah , it's desktop.

And you claim that near 100$ usb dongle ( hidizs s9 pro) can play better that xplays?
Yes.
Don't forget that USB dongle are just the audio segment in audio phone but deported outside.

It's only a question of sound tuning and qualibration , regarding power consumption & size ...
USB dongle can be very small , while still being powerful.

Somebody says cayin ru6 with its r2r have the same quality like vivo
It's possible , i don't have RU6 as i don't like the tuning.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #4,610 of 5,166
I apologize if this has been asked before. I can’t seem to find Android phone that support Apple Music natively and LDAC. Is there an Android phone that bypass Android resampling for Apple Music and has LDAC?

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #4,611 of 5,166
I apologize if this has been asked before. I can’t seem to find Android phone that support Apple Music natively and LDAC. Is there an Android phone that bypass Android resampling for Apple Music and has LDAC?
I don't know about Apple Music natively. I assume you need to install the iTunes (whatever it is called now) app. I know some Samsung phones, especially the flagship, do have support for LDAC. You may need to enable it in the Developer Options menu. In my experience on a Note 20 Ultra, it disable AptX.

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #4,612 of 5,166
OPPO has been one of the best audio manufacturers, so it is interesting to see how they smartphones stack up to the market, and whether there's good reason to still go for one of those, or if you're better off with other choices.

With a microSD slot, and good OTG support, this one smartphone could be a dream for any audiophile in need of a strong transport for their DAC/AMP, and it has good display, good battery life, and more features that I explain in today's video review

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #4,613 of 5,166
No android phone does that. You need android DAP to bypass it such as ibasso.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #4,614 of 5,166
No android phone does that. You need android DAP to bypass it such as ibasso.

Actually two do: The LG V60 and ROG Phone 5.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v60-thinq-smartphone.926477/post-15726759

https://rog.asus.com/in/phones/rog-phone-5-model/wtb

OPPO has been one of the best audio manufacturers, so it is interesting to see how they smartphones stack up to the market, and whether there's good reason to still go for one of those, or if you're better off with other choices.

With a microSD slot, and good OTG support, this one smartphone could be a dream for any audiophile in need of a strong transport for their DAC/AMP, and it has good display, good battery life, and more features that I explain in today's video review

Thanks for mentioning this phone. Added it to my list of US-compatible phones with headphone jacks. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #4,616 of 5,166
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #4,617 of 5,166
I have 3 audio phones ( Meizu Pro 6 Plus , Xplay 5S & Xplay 6).
I have 2 USB dongles ( S9 Pro & Link2 Bal ) & a Topping DX7 Pro.
I have a Spirit Pro , Listen Pro & Elegia.

While they sound awesome , i don't use Xplay 5S & 6 anymore.
Mainly because of the UI.
I use S9 Pro with Pro 6 Plus (plug & play) and Listen Pro.
I use DX7 Pro with Galaxy S7 (LDAC) and Elegia.
I didn't use Link2 Bal since i received it , but i think it would switch with S9 Pro to be use with Listen Pro.

While Xplay 5S may be the TOFL in audio smartphone segment , to me S9 Pro does everything XPlay 5S does , but better : soundstage , level of detail , neutrality ...

Really , you should take a look to #donglemadness and find something that suit you taste in the TOP10 - TOP20.

There is no best player mainly because it depend how you listen to your music , how do you sort your music etc ...

With Pro 6 Plus , i use Hiby Music because S9 Pro is easily recognized and the UI made some progress.
With DX7 Pro , Samsung Music. Need nothing more.

Yep , absolutely ALL earpads you can find for Listen / Pro / Wireless can be used with each model.
Some could say it may change the sound a little.

Sorry , i don't like Sony sound presentation.

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b is a headphone that often stand out when asking for something similar to Listen Pro.

I cannot believe that somebody else has finally given the credits that Focal Listen Pro deserve. Having wasted over 10 thousand hours of reading no less pages, and tried most headphones in Cobra showroom in Paris... I have always felt that these headphones are something quite special. So many 5 star headphones sound pathetic, compared to them (Beyerdynamic Amiron, P7 - laughable). I think I will buy Focal Clear Pro, as I did not like any other Focal ones (apart from Utopia, of course). And, would you believe it, I want to buy the Xduoo Link 2 Bal which you own. I beg you to try Focal Listen Pro with it and share opinions...I have Lg V10 and G7 (I prefer V10, energetic, bigger soundstage, more analogue sound, slightly less detailed). Hiby player sounds better than the stock LG player on G7, but I still prefer V10. I also have 5x HTC 10 (no joke). The latter beat Ibasso DC05 for wider soundstage and detail, while I prefered the timbre of the DC05, but both sound surprisingly similar with Listen Pro. I also tried E1DA 9038 with them and still prefered HTC 10. Someone reviewed the E1DA and wrote that the separation is so great, that the track...becomes dissected. Exactly! Even my Yulong D200 does not do that.
As for Vivo phones, the only ones I could find in Bulgaria are from the Y-series, namely three models, Y72 / Y70 / Y33s. Is any of those worth it, purely for audio, compared to what I currently have, please?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #4,620 of 5,166
I could not find an Xplay anywhere, not on Aliexpress, not on eBay...I guess it is hard for Europeans. And, I do now want an Amoled, let alone with PWM...
What Xperia are you looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back