Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 31, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #3,661 of 5,166
OOC how would y'all rate the sound of an iPhone 6s vs. LG V30+ vs. going with a Dragonfly Red?

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #3,662 of 5,166
iMusic version (on both Xplay 5S & Xplay 6) : 8.5.0.5

I won't downgrade for one simple reason : it will mess up all my playlists and i don't want to waste my time doing the same thing again ...

I understand. Its seems Vivo is following different routes for their ROMs.

The GMS certified Vivo Funtouch global ROMs uses a standalone default music player named 'iMusic'. It has no online capabilities (which I think is a boon) and works effortlessly without ever needing the internet. The highest version currently shipped with Android 10 is iMusic (ver. 4.4.0.1).

The China Funtouch ROMs on the other hand uses higher versions of iMusic (ver. 8.5.0.5) player which have online music streaming capabilities integrated with the default player. This online part of the player must be using China servers for storing playlists and stuffs, which maybe causing a lot of issues on the first place when used outside China.

Personally, I rather prefer the offline iMusic player which is dedicated to wring every bit of information from HiRes audio files residing on the phone storage and then work cohesively with the in-built DAC of the phone. Which is exactly what offline iMusic player does for me. Now I understand why I am so satisfied with the offline version (global ROMs) while others are not with the online versions (China ROMs).

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #3,663 of 5,166
Wow, its been long time since i use lg g6 (quad dac) and its actually better compare to my note 10 + tempotec sonata hd pro

Anyone know what chip on this G6 asia ver (H870DS)? Saw on ess web its 9128p same as v30 , but iirc many people said it same as v20?

Also anyone know other trick to activate the quad dac? I use plug cable first than the iem, but now i use metal iem and its kinda slippery and worried will fell if i need to plug and unplug the pin connector to the shell everytime i want to use it

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #3,664 of 5,166
Wow, its been long time since i use lg g6 (quad dac) and its actually better compare to my note 10 + tempotec sonata hd pro

Anyone know what chip on this G6 asia ver (H870DS)? Saw on ess web its 9128p same as v30 , but iirc many people said it same as v20?

Also anyone know other trick to activate the quad dac? I use plug cable first than the iem, but now i use metal iem and its kinda slippery and worried will fell if i need to plug and unplug the pin connector to the shell everytime i want to use it

LG G6, G7, G8, G8X, V30, V40 & V50 all uses the same audio chip. ESS ES9218P SABRE dubbed as Quad DAC by LG. The V20 uses a different chip ESS ES9218, which maxed out at 1 Vrms. ES9218P are capable of 2 Vrms depending on headphone impedance.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #3,665 of 5,166
To me music is a source of pleasure that’s difficult to describe. In a way it transports me to another realm and the level of hustle bustle & stress in everyday life is reduced, I seem to breathe normally again. I start smiling, music has such magical capabilities.

In digital domain I don’t think there is any contest, to distinguish or discriminate between PCM and DSD. PCM’s soundstage no matter which headphone I use seems to be narrower and it seems to be thinner. To me DSD emulates analogue’s spatial distance between left and right but also somewhat in the depth dimension. And to me it is easily perceptible, it a difference between being there and the artist being here. I admit it’s subtle when compared with modern good PCM recordings but it is electrifying when you experience it in DSD. There is no fatigue that I can detect with my DSD recordings. Fatigue with old style PCM recording was a problem which never existed in DSDs.

The main hurdle however is finding the right DSD’s. They also tend to be rare and expensive. One of the recent recording studios that have pulled off some great DSD recordings are Stockfisch Records with Gunter Pauler at the helm. The five SACDs of “Closer To The Music” are to me the reference point of what recording quality should be. Then the two volumes of their “DMM-CD/SACD” recording are just magnificent.

Just like PCM audio CDs are 16-bit @ 44.1 kHz, SACDs are DSD64. When ripped from a SACD they exist as DSF or DFF file formats. DSF files are far better suited to music library management because they allow the inclusion of metadata. This embedded metadata includes the names of the audio contained and other data such as album art. Hence, a DSF file could be transferred to different smartphones and retain the same metadata. The size of a DSD64 file in DSF format is a big factor to consider, normally 6 to 7 times bigger than an equivalent FLAC (PCM) file. There are also DSD128 & DSD256 but the file sized grow huge and it’s now a case of diminishing returns.

I really enjoy listening DSDs on my Vivo NEX S and LG V30+. More so with NEX S as its sound signature is more analogue in nature, the tuning seems better suited for DSDs than LG’s be it V30+ or G8X. The "professional DSD mode" switch hidden under settings on NEX S is like a hidden 7th gear on your car. Switch to the 7th gear and you are immediately transported to the 7th heaven. You can now aurally feel the NEX S headphone output gain has increased, sound-stage is more wider than before and the overall details are more prominent. At least in my ears, that why I have two NEX S.:)

So I have been busy listning to Closer to the music vol.5 DSD rip and what a great recorded album. These are audiophile grade songs and the amount of detail that can be found is awesome. I downloaded both flac and dsf files for comparison and man the dsf/DSD files are huge. These are DSD64 files. I played the same songs in flac and dsf with my vivo xplay6 and the difference is very easily perceptable. It is not night and day difference. But yeah the dsd recording of the same album sounds better. As you said, soundsatge is more wider on dsd compared to pcm. Also observed slight more details and nuances on DSD recordings. Suddenly started liking my xplay6, as the sound signature is more taut now when playing dsd and with better details! Thinking of using xplay6 just for native dsd playback. Some bug exists in xplay6 for native dsd playback sometimes the songs get muted, cracking sound. Do you face same issues with your nex s?

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #3,666 of 5,166
So I have been busy listning to Closer to the music vol.5 DSD rip and what a great recorded album. These are audiophile grade songs and the amount of detail that can be found is awesome. I downloaded both flac and dsf files for comparison and man the dsf/DSD files are huge. These are DSD64 files. I played the same songs in flac and dsf with my vivo xplay6 and the difference is very easily perceptable. It is not night and day difference. But yeah the dsd recording of the same album sounds better. As you said, soundsatge is more wider on dsd compared to pcm. Also observed slight more details and nuances on DSD recordings.

Good to know you are enjoying DSDs. :beyersmile:

Suddenly started liking my xplay6, as the sound signature is more taut now when playing dsd and with better details! Thinking of using xplay6 just for native dsd playback.

During native DSD playback on your Vivo Xplay6, the DSD files are hardware decoded inside its HiRes DAC rather than software decoding. Hence at identical volumes, headphone output gain is slightly higher than PCM recordings. Something also happens inside the DAC which makes the soundstage even wider.

Some bug exists in xplay6 for native dsd playback sometimes the songs get muted, cracking sound. Do you face same issues with your nex s?

On Vivo NEX S, native DSD playback of DSD64 files have no issues. The Xplay6 runs on Android 7, NEX S runs on Android 10. NEX S not only three generations ahead but Vivo for sure have learnt from Xplay6 and performed a better hardware implementation this time.

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #3,667 of 5,166
For those looking for a smartphone that gets the job done, Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S is quite great, has a nice sound from its headphone output, large display, quick CPU, enough to process music and large collections, and has a great amount of battery life, microSD slot, and makes the perfect transport for a DAC/AMP :)

I made a more in-depth video review about it here :)

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #3,672 of 5,166
Ok if anyone is lookimg for a true budget smartphone with AUDIOPHILE sound quality...
For me it is my cubot x19.
Extremely good and balanced sound surpassing my DAPS with sabre,cyrus logic and ak dacs.(fiio m3 pro,ziku x9,zishan z3)
It must be the mtk helio p23 inside has great integrated dac...
i just eq it a bit with onkyo player and raise the gain in mtk engineering.
And BOOM!
Audiophile sound, clarity and soundstage beyond expectation.
Everything extends extremely well.
It just is all there,so rich and deep bass mids and highs...
Mind you my headphones are of great quality ,the audio technica msr7.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #3,673 of 5,166
How good are the latest round of Samsung phones S20 series and Note 20 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back